Ice Skating, Vienna

by Jpickles
  • Lhenne1's Profile Photo

Ice Skating Festival

by Lhenne1 Written Sep 11, 2006

If we had an extra day, we would have joined in! The Wiener Eistraum is an annual ice skating venue spread over much of the Rathauspark. This area contains two large oval skating rinks (where groups played pickup games of hockey or curling), two small children's rinks, plus a long ice trail that weaves through the park.

Tickets can be purchased for a full day of skating, or just a partial day and the prices range from 1.5 Euro to 3.5 Euro per person depending on age. For non-skaters, or those just needing a break, there are a number of stands offering snacks, hot cocoa, beer and gluwein.

Throughout the Eistraum festival, there are special events such as charity hockey games, a jazz brunch, an Irish band, and Romeo and Juliet on Ice

• Lhenne1's Profile Photo

Ice Skating

by Lhenne1 Updated Aug 6, 2006

Locals and tourists alike enjoy ice skating in the winter. The large rinks (with set-up for pickup hockey games and curling) are located within blocks from the Museums District. Around the rinks you can find "snack shacks" with beer, gluwein (hot, spiced wine), hot cocoa, and foods. There are also areas to rent skates and lockers. Tickets must be purchased to use the skating areas.

• Adventure Travel

• BorneoGrrl's Profile Photo

Outdoor Ice skating in Winter

by BorneoGrrl Written Mar 28, 2006

Having a fun time

Ice skating is really fun especially when done outdoors. I started ice skating on one of my trips to Vienna in wintertime. It's inexpensive and lots of fun, even the times I fell on the ice. Evening tickets are less expensive, around Euro 3 for adults. Outdoor ice skating is only available in winter, between Oct & Mar

• Singles

• Ice - skating at the Rathaus

by Jpickles Updated Mar 17, 2006

In winter, finishing this year on March 5th, it was possible to ice-skate outside on one of several rinks in the Rathauspark. You can hire skates at the sight. There was also the "Dream Path", a 350 metre ice path
    that took you around the outside of this special skating area. Although I do not ice-skate well at all, it was a fabulous experience because everyone was enjoying themselves, music was playing all the time, and everyone was so friendly. Everytime I went round the rink and nearly fell, people caught me, moved aside for me, and we asked each other how we were getting on. I met people from several different countries and it was just such a lovely atmosphere. The cost was only 11 euros for a half day but I just stayed an hour as we'd aready had a busy day. The Dream Path was great fun because everyone was going really fast and on the bit of down slope I went fast too! After just half an hour on my maybe 5th time of ice-skating in a lifetime, I was improving! A great end to a great day in Vienna, which involved seeing a performance of the Lipizzan horses in the morning and a great lunch up the Danube Tower in the revolving restaurant.

• Adventure Travel

Instant Answers: Vienna

Comments

Hotels Near Ice Skating
4.0 out of 5 stars