Vienna Tourist Traps

by AnnS

Most Recent Tourist Traps in Vienna

• The seventh commandment

by sabsi Written Sep 10, 2006

We had a few small beers at the Trzesniewski sandwich bar (see restaurant tips). These beers are really small (0.125 litres) and are called "Pfiff". Now you might know that I like to keep special glasses as a souvenir. These tiny glasses which look like the beer glass of a Barbie doll are really special, they even feature the logo of Trzesniewski and the word "Pfiff".

Of course I wanted to keep one. I put it into my pocket and left earlier than my colleagues who finished their beer slowly. After a while Thomas came after me and told me to return my glass because the others are "kept hostage" by the waiter. He refused to let them go without giving the glass back. Apparently he counts all glasses because he has to pay for them from his own money... I brought my glass back secretly and left as quickly as I could ... totally ashamed ;)

Unique Suggestions: Apparently the glasses cost 2.50 EUR. Maybe you can ask and buy one? Or then, be smarter than me and leave quickly with your whole group...

Fun Alternatives: Thou shalt not steal.

1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 glasses.... still!

• turnip2000's Profile Photo

Versailles take two...yawn..the Belvedere

by turnip2000 Written Aug 20, 2006

It IS impressive, but honestly...after 1,234 rooms that all are a funky yellow and very large it just gets boring. I would save my time and money for something else.

Unique Suggestions: Skip the palace and walk through the estate

Fun Alternatives: Go to the Hundertwasserhaus

• albert34's Profile Photo

Relax

by albert34 Written Aug 19, 2006

In front of the Council Hall (Rathaus) there is a little park.I was there in June,so the sweet scent from the lime trees flowers,the low sound from the fountain and the classic music from a loudspeaker....I was on the verge of falling asleep.

• Mozart balls

by MishyM Written Jun 27, 2006

These lovely chocolates are something everyone should try in Vienna, but do not buy them in the centre of town, especially in the tourist stores near and on Stephansplatz.

If you go to a Spar or any other supermarket where the locals buy their food you will find these, and many other Austrian foods for half the price.

This goes for most of the alcoholic and food items in the tourist shops.

• Pavlik_NL's Profile Photo

Various prices with or without agreement

by Pavlik_NL Updated May 27, 2006

Inform about prices, before you get enthousiastic to go to a special show, a ball, a ride with a 'Fiaker' or any other touristic event. This to avoid disappointments, because the prices can be skyhigh! By the way, on the streets there might be people that offer 'discount'-tickets and before you agree to buy ... know about the real price. Some of them call 300% also a discount-offer! (-: Some tickets even do not work at all, as they are fake and can only be bought at official ticketboxes.

Don't buy tickets for Lippizanershow on the street

• Spanish Riding School: morning riding sessions

by bluestarrynight Written Mar 18, 2006

if you are also considering the morning exercise sesions as a cheap alternative to the actual Lipizzaner performances in your Vienna trip, DON'T~! the sessions were just looking at jockeys riding the horses with (classical?) music playing in the background and 6 Euros is absolutely not worth it~

• School Holidays

• christine.j's Profile Photo

You don't get what you booked

by christine.j Updated Feb 1, 2006

When booking the Salzburg tour of Vienna Sightseeing Tours,we were asked which language we wanted and said "German". It was noted on the receipt and we paid almost 100 Euro. However, when we were in the bus and after the tour had started, the tour guide told us that there weren't enough German speaking tourists in the bus, so the tour would NOT be in German. It was in Italian and English. To me that meant I had to do lots of translating, and I'm sure I forgot many details since all this was new to me,too.
    I wouldn't have minded if they had told us when signing up for this tour, but nothing was mentioned about a minimum number of people for a language. I guess we were lucky that there were enough Americans in the bus, so the tour was at least given in English. Had there been many Japanese tourists, we would have paid and would have understood nothing.
    The tour guide was nice,but she said she couldn't do anything about it, it's the company's policy.They know that tourists are only in Vienna for a short time and once they've got the money, they couldn't care less.

Unique Suggestions: Go with a large group of people who all speak the same language and ask twice, if the tour will be given in your language.

• Music

• BorneoGrrl's Profile Photo

Cheap Concert Tickets? No way!

by BorneoGrrl Updated Jan 2, 2006

When you walk pass the Opera in the 1st district, you will notice that there will be some people dressed up as Mozart or period costumes and stopping you to ask if you would like to go to a classical concert. You might think that the concert is held in the infamous Opera but far from it. These people are trying to sell overpriced tickets to concerts held in smaller theatres in other parts of towns.

Unique Suggestions: If you still would like to attend a musical concert for a lower (but not cheap) price than the Opera, go ahead and buy a ticket. When you get home, you can always say that you've been to one in Vienna.

• Music

• FRONA's Profile Photo

Often bogus

by FRONA Updated Dec 15, 2005

This place is advertised as a private collection with all kinds of different exhibitions.
    I went only because of Frida Kahlo and of course there was only 1 of her paintings!
    The place is out of the center so you will need to take public transportation or car to get there.The address is: An der Donau, AU-1, A-3400 Klosterneuburg/Wien

Unique Suggestions: http://www.sammlung-essl.at/

check out the video room where they also have Diego Riviera murals.

Note> this tip is only for this particular exhibiton.

Fun Alternatives: Albertina

ESSL

• FRONA's Profile Photo

Another bogus exhibition!

by FRONA Written Nov 16, 2005

It costs eight euros per person and the installation is a really crappy installation of a couple of crappy photos and paintings. The exhibition is partly in BA-CA Kunstforum on Feyung and partly in Kunsthalle that you have to pay for ---extra! so the exhibition is called SUPERSTARS - from Warhol till Madonna and the poster features Merlin Monroe. So my mom and I attracted by Merlin went in there and hell we were disappointed: only one, yes one! photo of her! And the rest of the works were really crappy. Pardon my french but dont waste your money and time!

warhol
    • Work Abroad

• WHAT NOT TO DO IN Vienna

by theother0 Written Oct 31, 2005

Some friends and i went to vienna over the weekend. (1) DO NOT go anywhere by yourself at night. (2) If you see 2 people arguing with each other like a female and a male and he is hitting her, DO NOT interfere. I was walking back by myself to my hotel near San Marco square. I saw 2 people arguing and the male was slapping the female around. I YELLED "STOP!" Well he didn't like that and came after me. We started to fight and he finally decided there was no winning the fight (or so i thought). He went his way with the female and i continued on my way to my hotel. I continued down the back side of the square and noticed a man coming towards me. He acted like he was asking me a question and then out of no where he swung at me and hit me pretty good. Dazed cause of what just happened and confused I fled running and running he ran after me. i later had to jump a fence and go into the water cause i was scared for my life because the man would not giveup. After jumping in the water he realized there was no way he was coming in after me... Security found me and helped me out of the water and called the police for me... The water was very very nasty being that thier plumbing from thier bathrooms and bathubs all run into the water....So you know what that means... I was all cut up from the confrontations and had to be later treated for infections from being in the water...

Unique Suggestions: have a MAP with you

avoid dark alleys

TRAVEL IN PAIRS OR MORE.

remember you are in a different country so its a different world.

carry some type of language translation book

• Anjutka's Profile Photo

Some of the most important traps

by Anjutka Updated Apr 25, 2005

The most important tourist traps in vienna are
    Fiaker (the horse carriages you see mostly in the 1st district)
    Many Heurige in Grinzing and surroundings (in particular those to which the tourist buses are going)
    The ticket sellers on the streets dressed in historical costumes (you get all tickets cheaper at the official ticket offices or directly at the theater counters)

• morgenhund's Profile Photo

Schloss Schönbrunn

by morgenhund Updated Apr 6, 2005

Schönbrunn is jam-packed with tourists - especially the Gloriette Café. If you want to enjoy it at its best and with smaller crowds, go in the early spring.

Fun Alternatives: Instead of the Café at the Gloriette, get the U4 to Hietzing and head for Dommayer.

• biorca's Profile Photo

funky mozarts

by biorca Written Mar 16, 2005

it´s allways tourist like to try to be in mozart´s era, and vienna knows it well.
    It´s pretty to go to a big theather, but i dont especially like to see litle mozarts all over the place playing as if its theather. Maybe not tourist concerts the next time.

Unique Suggestions: enjoy. think it was really like that :)

Fun Alternatives: the spring festivals

• nursesweet's Profile Photo

Mozart stores

by nursesweet Updated Mar 3, 2005

Being that Mozart was from Austria and that he is one of the most beloved composers of all time, it was only a matter of time before someone got the idea to put his face and name on a chain of tourist trap shops located all-over Vienna. These shops sell over-priced mozart chocolates, snowglobes, pens and the like; In my opinion, nothing truely amazing is found in any of these shops.

Fun Alternatives: Hit up the stores with unique handicrafts. You'll get something very unique and less mass-produced for around the same price.

The one and only!

Instant Answers: Vienna

Comments

Vienna Tourist Traps

Reviews and photos of Vienna tourist traps posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Vienna sightseeing.