Vienna Warnings and Dangers

What you see!
    by balhannah

Most Recent Warnings and Dangers in Vienna

• feza's Profile Photo

Be careful with the weight of your luggage

by feza Written Apr 27, 2007

In Wien,Australia airlines except the luggages up to 20,after 20 kilos,they want 20 Euro for each kilo!!!!.
    And don't put any drinks into your handbag unless you don't buy them from free-shops.
    Believe me they are throwing away your drinks if they find out!!!

• desert_princess's Profile Photo

Vienna in November/December

by desert_princess Written Apr 25, 2007

Vienna in November/December

Vienna in November/December is a bad idea.Especially if you want to visit the gardens of Schonbrunn. They are a sad sight in winter - statues are wrapped to be protected from cold weather , flowers carpets are gone ,crows and wind haunt the place, the naked branches of the trees and bushes scratch you as you pass...
    TOB BE AVOIDED IF POSSIBLE

• seamandrew's Profile Photo

The Vignette

by seamandrew Updated Apr 7, 2007

Make sure that if you rent a car outside of Austria, you stop at a border shop and purchase a 'Vignette'. This little sticker is sold at most gas stations along the borders of Austria and its neighboring countries. The sticker will run you about 7-8 Euro and it's worth it. If you're caught on the highway without one, be prepared to pay a hefty fine.
    Also, if you're driving in from Germany, just because there's no speedlimit on the German Autobahn, it doesn't mean there isn't a speed limit in Austria. Austria does have a maximum speedlimit of 130 kph. Watch out for bad traffic around Salzburg. It seems like they've been doing counstruction on that highway for almost a decade (I'm being facetious of course!). It probably won't be necessary in Vienna itself, but will be necessary getting to Vienna.

• longsanborn's Profile Photo

Look where you are walking! Beware of dog poo !

by longsanborn Updated Mar 8, 2007

Dog poo on the road

Be careful where you put your feet down next time. Vienna has a shocking dirty "secret" - dirty as in doggy poo or dog droppings. Dog poops/droppings are litterred on the streets, alleys, pavements and walkways.

Vienna has a lot of dog lovers, and the viennese dogs seemed to be pampered creatures. You can see young and old ladies carry their cute doggies in their arms, in doggy bags, etc., in the metro U-Bahn, restaurants, cafes, parks, etc. You can also see men walking their big dogs in the streets, parks, restaurants, etc.

I was at first shocked, later disgusted to see the dog-owners allowing their dogs to pee and poo everywhere they like, especially againsts building walls, on sidewalks, and near parked cars. I am just glad that the dogs don't drop their smelly droppings in the metro or restaurants.

Vienna has started a campaign against dog poo and dog owners are now required to clean after their dogs. Hopefully, this action will help to make Vienna a cleaner and better smelling city. :-))

• Redwraith's Profile Photo

The Police your friend and helper

by Redwraith Written Jan 10, 2007

Arent they cute ?

Well you might ask why is this in the "Warnings and Dangers" Section ... is Vienna the capital of a police state where you have too be careful not too run into trouble with the police ?

Absolutley not ...

I am just writing this so you know what to do once you run into trouble.

The Police force is getting new uniforms so after 2007 there should be only guys in the new blue uniforms around.

Generally those guys are helpful, most speak some english (if you need somebody who speaks good english look for the younger guys in uniform ... lots has changed there).

Ok where too find police officers : Well either on the street ... or at a police station. If you are in the Center of Vienna then you ll find a small police station in the Stephansplatz Subway Station. Its at the exit to the "Kärtnerstrasse" just look for the "POLIZEI" Shield and ring the bell.

They can help ya if something was stolen, or if someone attacked you and so on ... the usual stuff.

Ok and now a warning ... i think i should write it down cause well ... it does affect some visitors.
    Vienna has a drug dealing problem, and most of the street sellers are from africa. (Well you see where this is going). So if you are black be careful ... well more careful then white guys have to be.
    I am not saying that the whole police force is racist or something ... by god not. But there are some black sheep as everywhere.
    So especially if you are at "Karlsplatz" and "Sigmund Freund Park - Votivkirche" be careful.
    Lots of busts happening there and its easy that you might end up between the two groups.

• Redwraith's Profile Photo

Dangers of Vienna ...

by Redwraith Written Jan 8, 2007

Basically there are none. Well ok not more than in any other Big City.
    But with about 20 murders / year Vienna is actually one of the most safe cities in the world so dont be afraid.

The only major problem are pickpockets. Be careful about your stuff. And plz ... DONT LOOK LIKE A VICTIM : This does include : Dont wear your backbag in front (They will just think you got valubales in there and grab from ya anyways). Dont walk around looking at a street map.
    Look at it. get a direction, ask people if you need more info.
    Walk as if you know the area (even if you dont) ... They wont steal from ppl which look as if they live here or know the area even if they dont live here. (Think this goes for all places all over the world)

There are some areas which you should not go to but as a tourist you wont end up there anyways. But even then its not really dangerouse .. just well ... creppy.

Best thing too do if you are in an area in which you dont feel safe is call a cab. (All Cab company have cabs that take credit cards ... but be sure too mention it when you are calling.)
    Just go too the next street corner look at the street signs call (Best company is 31300 cause they give their drivers schooling on how too deal with foreigners). Cab should be there within 3 - 4 minutes.

• Ekaterinburg's Profile Photo

Don't forget your Lane Discipline

by Ekaterinburg Updated Dec 31, 2006

Trams, bikes cars - Keep to the right lane.

This is a serious and genuine warning so don't be put off by the cheerful picture of the Christmas tram. Basically, you need to be really careful on the streets in Vienna, especially on the Ringstrasse.
    Here the off street area is very wide and you tend to think you can meander all over the place without paying attention. I discovered that this is not true when I narrowly missed being knocked down by a cyclist zooming by at considerable speed. It was entirely my own fault, as gazing at some point of interest, I crossed over from the pedestrian lane into the cyclists lane without thinking.This is very easily done so you really do need to be careful. I did learn a new word from the experience though. It was shouted at me very loudly. Scheisse ? Now I wonder what that means.
    You also need to be careful of the tramlines when crossing the street.

• longsanborn's Profile Photo

Beware of Pickpockets!

by longsanborn Updated Dec 21, 2006

Be careful with your belongings when you are in the public transports, in crowded public areas, in cafes and restaurants, etc., because there are pickpockets waiting to steal your valuables when you are distracted or unawares. Even though Vienna is relatively safer compared with other major European cities, it is still plagues with petty crimes, especially pickpockets.

Be vigilant and aware of your surroundings. Be alert always. Don't be easily distracted. Don't expose your wallets/purse, don't count your money in the open (you would think some tourists are smart enough not to do this!),

Pickpockets operate in groups and one or two will try to distract you and another will take your money/bag when you are not looking. Also do not leave your bags unattended while sitting in cafes or restaurants. Petty thieves will take the opportunity to grab your bags when you're not looking.

• morgenhund's Profile Photo

Mind your step!

by morgenhund Updated Nov 15, 2006

Take a sack for my cack!

Whilst the horses that pull the Fiaker are now required to have a bag to catch their droppings, you are still advised to watch you step. A far bigger problem though is the fact that Viennese dogs seem to be poorly toilet-trained - sadly their snooty and uppity owners don't have the decency to use one of the (scarce) dog loos, but think it fine to allow their pets to foul. Take particular care in parks - I had to berate an ignorant old biddy that letting her dog foul near a children's play area was irresponsible. She went off grumbling and muttering that it was a trek to the nearest dog loo, but at least was better informed.

Fortunately since October 2006 there has been a new initiative launched with posters advising to "Nimm ein Sackerl für mein Gackerl" (Take a sack for my cack!).

• Asian female travellers beware

by mayalene Written Oct 29, 2006

OK so this is more an annoyance than a danger. I've been to a few cities in Europe and there are always men who try to pick you up just because you are visibly 'foreign' and single female traveller.

I met the most annoying man of all my travels, in the heart of the old city-at St Stephens (Stephensdom). I was looking for souvenirs at the stand (another indication that you are a tourist) when this man of Greek/Albanian extraction approached me. He was polite at first but warning bells kept ringing. Insisted on accompanying me on the rest of my sightseeing in spite of my polite, though indirect decline of his offer. (Maybe it is an asian disadvantage, our culture of always trying not to be impolite-i.e direct, hoping that unwanted men would get the message and go away. I guess it does not work.)

The last straw was when the idiot started to put his hand around my shoulders and caressing my arm. While I managed to make a swift exit, my excuse I have to go watch a concert (he insisted to follow me to the door, i guess to make sure that it was true)

The next day, I was in the old city again, and lo and behold the idiot was there, in his same jacket, standing around looking out for single asian female travellers and he saw me again, and started trailing me. He was insulted that I lied to him that I was catching a flight at the very time he saw me (he insisted on breakfast, lunch with me so I said I had to fly back).

This time, after mulling and fuming over the idiot's actions and words, I had more courage and was more impolite and direct and asked him to GO AWAY, LEAVE ME ALONE.

Later, I saw him talking to an asian female tourist, no doubt using the same intro line as he did with me- I guess he makes it a hobby hanging around the tourist area, hoping to trick timid, compliant females into bed, if not to cop a feel or two.

• TheWanderingCamel's Profile Photo

Pickpocketing teams

by TheWanderingCamel Written Oct 9, 2006

Watch out on the U-bahn!

We all know we need to be on the alert for bag snatchers and pickpockets in crowded places in cities everywhere. What is perhaps not quite so easy to assess is that you can be set up as a victim without really realising it, as we were on a vitually empty U-bahn station. It was only my middle-aged impatience with a seemingly ill-mannered and dithering young girl that saved the day.

It was a very neat little operation. Two of us on the platform, no one else close by. The train pulled in, I stepped forward, my friend a step behind. A young girl slipped in front of me and stepped into the train first, then stopped just a few steps in from the door, apparently looking at the map over the door, blocking us from moving forward. Annoyed at her lack of manners as much as anything else and impatient with her, I pushed past her after a few seconds, sat down and was joined by my friend, who then told me how three other girls had crowded her, making it difficult for her to move forward. My moving forward had cleared the way for her to move, but not before she felt something on her bag. The girls moved to seats down the train and were joined by the girl who had stepped on first. They all got off together at the next stop, no doubt hoping to set up someone else in the same way. There's no doubt in my mind that, had I not moved as I did, my friend's bag would have been snatched and the girls would have been off the train just as the doors closed, ready to play the same trick again as soon as their friend joined them.

• turnip2000's Profile Photo

Almost None!

by turnip2000 Written Aug 21, 2006

This is one of the safest and cleanest cities outside of Switzerland I have visited. Unless you streak with a Nazi flag tatooed on your face through the Prater Park at midnight I think you will be perfectly fine in Vienna.

• Bela_LUng's Profile Photo

extensive museum renovations.

by Bela_LUng Written Aug 20, 2006

This is a more of a warning for potential tourists... in the year 2005 when I was in Vienna there was extensive work being done on quite a few musuem's. Facades hidden behind scafolding, closed exhibits, and general displacement. I am not sure when works are scheduled to be completed, but I would most definitely check that the museum or building you wish to see is in fact open to the public.

Such a lovely city to be hidden away from view.

• Castles and Palaces
    • Architecture

• WStat's Profile Photo

PICKPOCKETS everywhere !

by WStat Updated Aug 2, 2006

In the past 2 years petty crime and pickpocketing has enormously increased in trams, buses, the most frequented pedestrian areas (like Kaerntnerstrasse, Graben and Mariahilferstrasse) and, above all, the Vienna U-Bahn !
    So be aware of those dangers, don`t leave your purse or briefcase unattended.
    Frequently those pickpockets work in gangs, using children as the "approaching pickpocket", who passes his booties quickly to a grown-up. If you have problems or your purse has vanished, get out and inform the station-manager at the next stop immediately. As there are some police-officers in charge at various stations, your information may be important also for other passengers in danger of beeing robbed.
    Dont forget to get a protocoll at the next police-station for your insurance !
    The service-number below is valid from whole of Austria; there are english-speaking officers who will tell you the address of the next police-station.

• Seniors

• coccinella169's Profile Photo

Karlsplatz

by coccinella169 Updated Jul 28, 2006

Karlsplatz subway station is in the plain centre of Vienna, next to the Opera house. If you go down you`ll discover the other side of this elegant and impressive city. Especially in winter the subway station is packed with drunk, drugged and homeless people. Sometimes you can hardly breath there because of wads of cigarette smoke. Although they installed some kind of video surveillance last year and although there is a lot of police there, the situation is getting worse and worse in my opinion. BUT, although I walk through the subway station several times a week, I never had any problems with those people, I was never robbed or something like that. Only once some drug addicted insulted me because I didn`t give him money.

Instant Answers: Vienna

Comments

Vienna Warnings and Dangers

Reviews and photos of Vienna warnings and dangers posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Vienna sightseeing.