Hrodna Restaurants

Most Recent Restaurants in Hrodna

No name: Beer and Chips, Belarussian style

by sunshine9689 Updated Oct 3, 2011

$3 value. Beer/chips

It is not a restaurant tip exactly. I just wanted to let you know that: first, you were used to be allowed to drink beer on the streets, but that changed over the recent year or two (see my pic #2), and second, it is very cheap and tastes pretty good (always make sure you buy Belarussian beer made in Lida, not Hrodno!).

Limousine: Expensive dining

by sunshine9689 Updated Apr 30, 2008

Map. 2008

It`s a new place. Rumor has it, if you get drunk there, they`ll bring you home on their limo. :-) Dunno about that, cause I got pretty wasted and no one offered a ride. I guess it depends on what you drink. I drank Czech beer (~$2 for a pint) but in the menu there were cocktails for $15! IMHO way too expensive for Hrodna.

Place also offers water pipes (sheesha or hookah.. Whatever you wonna call it) on wine, cognac and liquor. It costs anywhere from $12 to $20, depending on alcohol. They have only 2 water pipes, so hurry up if you want to get one.

NOTE: if you are a group of local girls, you are treated worse than a man (foreign or local). We always had to wait for our orders.

Favorite Dish: I tried only a cheese plate. It was good.

• Carletto76's Profile Photo

Karchma: The only real restaurant in the old town

by Carletto76 Written Nov 8, 2007

(c) bdro on VT

At the very beginning of the Sovetskaya street there's a nice restaurant underground, called Karchma (Карчма) which is THE place to go for dinner if you are in Hrodna... also because there seem to be no other choice, at least in the old town!
    They have menu in English and the waiters can also speak English, something very unusual for Belarus (ok, we are just less than 10Km from EU...). They even have Czech beer (Velkopopovický Kozel) and it's the only western standard restaurant I found there around. Everything is good and the interiors of the restaurant are simple but nice.
    Food is local Belorusian and can be quite strong and fat, so I liked it a lot! Unfortunately that day I didn't feel so well after all the vodka I had to drink at the wedding the night before, but I enjoyed my meal a lot, and there was really A LOT of meat on it!
    Surely a suggested place, if you visit Hrodna, you have to eat there.

Restaurant-Cafe Moscow

Lovely food at Moscow restaurant

Near the Pokrov Orthodox Cathedral you find a very interesting, small restaurant named Moscow.
    We had lovely service there, good food, price a bit over average. The menu card have a wide range of suggestion to good meals. This restaurant is a visit worth.

Restaurant at Semashko Hotel

Dinner at Semashko Restaurant

In April 2007 we invited some friends to the restaurant at Semashko and at that time we stayed in the hotel for 8 days. The Hotel is absolutely perfect and I love the western style. The service is good. Every morning we went to the restaurant for breakfast. And every day we had very bad experience. The first evening we invited some friends – and I felt it really was a mistake to go there. The waiters are slow. The service is bad. The food is absolutely not this standard you pay for.
    I understand that the owner of the hotel and the owner of the restaurant are two different people. Maybe this explains our bad experience. They really have to change their way of running this restaurant, if they want to become the best place to stay in Grodno.

• Singles

Café Garodenya

by bdro Written Aug 2, 2007

When you walk from Belarus Bank in the centre towards Lenin Square you find Café Garodenya at your right hand. Very clean and nice café which have special belarussian cousins every day. I like it. And then it’s good food for small money. It is very difficult to eat for more than two euro per person included beer….

• Singles

Restaurant Starij Ljamur

by bdro Written Aug 1, 2007

At Ozeshko Street you find the very nice restaurant Starij Ljamur very nice placed in one of Grodno’s park areas. It is a new restaurant. I like it. Good food. Good atmosphere. Often there is live music. But again the menu is only in Russian. Prices are in the upper end.

Café ASTRA (Astpa): Three course meal for under two Euro

by bdro Written Jul 31, 2007

At the main street, walking street, you find Café Astra, an ordinary place where Belarussian businesspeople everyday enjoy their meal. It is typical Belarus food with fx. Borsh soup, big meat balls with potatoes and vegetables and a small dessert. All together for less than 2 Euro. And if you decide to order one of the large Belarussian beer it is only 1 US $ more. Different menu day by day.

Karchma - menu in English!!!: The local Inn

by bdro Updated Apr 24, 2007
    Karchma - The Grodno Inn

Very happy – finally we have found a restaurant, where the menu was in English. From outside it looks nice, but when you enter the restaurant, we love it!!
    The service is in the top. They speak a language we understand. They have a menu we love. Not only the fat food, no, this was very different. A menu, that speaks to your taste.

In our countries we meet these places all the time, but when you are in Grodno – yes, it’s very special. And when you many times come to a restaurant with Russian menu, you appreciate when you feel, you are welcome.

When we enter the restaurant, we were met with open arms. “Hello Sir, can I take your coat. Please let me tell you about your menu.”

This restaurant has a rough style. They have very good Belarussian cuisine. The pictures of the food tells me more than the words.

Do yourself a favour – visit this place. Take your wife, your fiends, your family – they have a great experience. Here You are the Man in Grodno.

Karchma: 'Karchma' - Belarussian cuisine

by sunshine9689 Updated Jun 21, 2006

June 2006

The food is good. The interier is cool. Can be crowded though.. Better come before 7pm, especially on weekends. Thing is - we still do not have lots of places to eat out at, so everywhere is crowded.

You can absolutely stuff yourself up with food here by paying $15 per person (alchohol included).

'Retro': 'Retro' - pizza place

by sunshine9689 Updated Jun 21, 2006

Entrance, June 2006

I like this place, the food is tasty, the atmosphere and interier are nice too. Coffee is not bad.

It`s a little pricy for Hrodna though (~$5.00-6.00 per pizza).

HOURS:
    11.00 am - 10.00 pm (M, T. W, Th),
    11.00 am - 8.00 pm (F, St, S).

Favorite Dish: Their 'Retro' pizza is quite nice.
    You can also 'build' your own pizza with different ingredients.

Mister-Twister: 'Mister-Twister' - modern cafe/bar

by sunshine9689 Written Mar 21, 2006

This place has two rooms. One has sofas and chairs, another - benches, chains and bikes hanging on the walls.
    Smoking is allowed everywhere.

I usually go there to eat ice-cream and have a cocktail or two.

It`s alright. The interier looks kinda cool.

Kronon: Cafe Kronon

by sunshine9689 Updated Mar 21, 2006

Autumn, 2003

I really like this place.
    It`s very affrodable, offers tasty food (love the salads), has cozy atmosphere and when there is a female waitress (lady in her mid 40s), she brightens up the day with her sincere smile.

On the other hand:
    1) It`s not big: 23 seats - 6 tables (in the summer house and also in the main building).
    2) Their vodka is not the best.
    3) Arrogant male waiter.

• danyo's Profile Photo

Mr. Twister: The only modern restaurant/cafe in town

by danyo Written Aug 29, 2004

When you enter this restaurant/cafe, you hardly can believe that Grodno really has a place like this, with a nice atmosphere, beautiful decorations and good service. For a moment you feel like at home again.

The prices are a bit higher than for example in restaurant Belastok, but the quality is better and the whole atmosphere is like we are used in the West (or at least in Poland).

Favorite Dish: I can't remember exactly what we had, I think I had a steak with potatoes and vegetables. The quality was very good, certainly for Belarussian standards.

• danyo's Profile Photo

Restaurant Belastok: Dining in Soviet style

by danyo Written Aug 29, 2004

This is one of the only restaurants in the center and as far as I know the only restaurant in the center which still has the old soviet atmosphere. When you enter, a very kind lady takes your coat, shows where the toilets are and even walks with you halfway the stares to show where the restaurant is.

The restaurant itself is a big empty room (when we were there, only 3 other tables out of more than 20 were taken) with a high ceiling with ugly big red lamps and very dark decoration on the wall. There was a keyboard player in the corner playing some songs, which sounded very artificial.

The service was a bit strange, the waiters were indeed waiting in the corner, almost didn't move, but they behaved a bit like robots without any emotion. They of course never asked if everything was according to our wish ;-)

The main dish was o.k., allthough I even don't remember anymore what I had, it was quite basic. But I never forget the 'soup' we ordered. It was supposed to be 'boulion with egg', but it turned out to be a plate with hot water and indeed an egg inside. No kidding, just hot water without any taste. We ate the egg and left the water of course ;-)
    But the rest was o.k., the desert too and the drinks. And it was much cheaper than the restaurant in the hotel.

Favorite Dish: The soup was terrific ;-)
    At least as a joke it was so terrific that I gave them a tip just because of that ;-)

Instant Answers: Hrodna

Comments

Hrodna Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Hrodna restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Hrodna sightseeing.