Church of Saint Mary Magdalene, Minsk
The Russian Orthodox St. Maria Magdalena Church was built in the middle of the 19th century on the site of an earlier wooden church. To the left of its octagonal bell tower stands the small John the Baptist Chapel, which was consecrated in 1995.
After the closure of the St. Maria Magdalena Church during the Soviet times, it was the first church in Minsk to be opened again in November 1990.
The St. Maria Magdalena Church stands on a slight green elevation on the northern side of the Svisloch River, just north of the Alexander Pushkin Statue.
Address: Cathedral St. Maria Magdalena Church, ul. Kiselva 42, Minsk
The oldest church in Minsk is not the cathedral, but the small church of St.Mary Magdalene, set just on the opposite side of the river, built in 1847 close to the high building of the Hotel Belarus'.
It's a peaceful place with the perfectly restored complex formed by the church, a little chapel and an archway entrance, with all trees around. It's really pleasant and a must visit place where to stay isolated from the more chaotic streets of the capital.