Mons Restaurants

• solopes's Profile Photo

Jeffe: Our restaurant in Mons

by solopes Updated Jan 1, 2014
    Jeffe - Mons

I use to suspect restaurants in main squares - they use to sell location more than food, for a price. It happened also here, but it was a nice surprise - dinner was very good, and the price very moderated.

Next day we were looking for a place to lunch? Can you guess were did we go?

Yes, Jeffe again, and again with a positive impression

• lmkluque's Profile Photo

L'Excelsior Brasserie: The Perfect Way to End a Tour!

by lmkluque Updated Jan 28, 2013

The Cozy Ground Floor Dining Area

Just the place one would imagine meeting friends for a drink after shopping, a hard day of work or even after a tour of the city's center. We sat at a table along one wall of the restaurant near the big windows overlooking the Grand Place. The spiral staircase was just along side. Stairs in Belgium seemed to be a bit different than most in the USA. Narrower and steeper. Take care if you are not used to them.

In January there were no tables set outside in front of the restaurant as there would be during the summer months. However, the warmth of the narrow ground floor dining area was a welcomed bonus.

It was busy and seemed pretty popular. I was told that a fantastic variety of Belgian beer was on offer here. It was about quitting time so, I guess most of the customers had just stopped for a beer before going home from work.

Favorite Dish: %4We stopped here after a tour of the town. I had espresso and a lively conversation with new and old friends from Mons! A few of them had beers, but it wasn't until later in my journey that I braved the storm of Belgian beers.

Bon Appetite: A Few Out of the Way Places

by lmkluque Updated Jan 26, 2012

Three restaruants my friends took me to, which might be missed by a tourist, were enchanting spots with wonderful food.

I didn't get a picture of them, but they are worth knowing about:

(1.) 'La Maison du Berger' (The Shepherd's House),
    Route d'Ath 171, B-7050 Mons
    Phone: +32.65.22.63.02.

A Greek restaurant, with ordinary decoration--by that I mean, not in a Greek style. The food was delicious and nice wine also. The service was attentive.

(2.) 'Le Royal,
    Grand'Place 7, B-7000 Mons,
    Phone: +32.65.35.49.03.

This is situated right on the Grand Place and it seemed to be very popular with the college crowd. The food was good and the mood festive--even on week-day nights. This is where I first had Salade Niçoise.

(3.) 'L'impasse' (The Dead End),
    Rue d'Havré 49, B-7000 Mons,
    Phone: + 32.65.31.68.38.

An elegant restaurant on a street off the Grand Place. The traditional French food was excellent and the service very accommodating. A special place for a special occasion.

• Wine Tasting

La Primavera: Interesting Views

by lmkluque Updated Jan 26, 2012

This is a nice place to sit at a window table facing the Grand Place and watch the activity.

The room was cozy, the pizza oven, in the open, allowed patrons to watch as their pizza was being made. The service was attentive and the price resonable.

Favorite Dish: Delicious salad, pasta, pizza and wine!

• Singles
    • School Holidays

• lmkluque's Profile Photo

La Primavera da Giovanni: My First Pizza in Europe!

by lmkluque Updated Jan 25, 2012

The business card of La Primavera

My friends were at work and I took a walk to the Grand Place. This is where I chose to have lunch. I sat near a window to be able to watch the activity of the Grand Place. The service was attentive which I really appreciate, but I'll mention that I was the only customer so early in the day. Still, the dining room felt quite cozy. It seemed to be grouped into several sections and that's probably why it didnt' feel empty. I didn't actually explore further.

Favorite Dish: You may not know it, but for twenty-three years I managed an Italian/Pizza restaurant and have always wanted to eat pizza in Europe. The first time I went to Europe I couldn't eat any pizza because I had a bet going with one of my cooks. (Whoever ate pizza first owed the other a bottle of 1800 Tequila.) I wanted to win the bet, so, no pizza.

Thankfully, while on this trip there was no such bet. I chose this restaurant just to have pizza! The pizza oven was situated in the center of the dining room and I watched the chef prepare and cook mine. The pizza was delicious and worth waiting for!

• School Holidays

• Cidricu's Profile Photo

RESTAURANT "CHEZ LÉON": Belgian Cuisine

by Cidricu Updated Apr 4, 2011

Very nice restaurant in Mons and very tastefull too. The restaurant "Chez Léon" also has a big terrasse for summer. They offer you a big choice of Belgian cuisine.

***Last time I ate there: 04/2003***
    ***Number of times I ate there: 5***

Favorite Dish: My favorite dish is the typical "Moules Frites", that is to say a big pan of mussels (better the ones with white wine) with some French fries. Of course, it's better drinking a beer with them.

• DanielF's Profile Photo

Terraces of the Grand Place

by DanielF Updated Nov 14, 2007

The Grand Place is lined with a number of brasseries and cafés offering traditional. It is my guess that they all offer more or less the same value for money. If you happen to be in Mons on a sunny day, it is likely that your favourite option be to sit in one of the outdoor terraces for a lunc al fresco.

Budget conscious tourists have a large choice of places in the backstreets around the square, which catter mostly for the many students in town and offer a large variety of foods and snacks.

• Mahieu's Profile Photo

La Pizzarela: Italian

by Mahieu Updated Jul 28, 2007

Not just another Italian restaurant! La Pizzarela has delicous Italian dishes, together with a nice welcome and a very friendly service! They are situated right in the corner of the Grand'Place, unfortunately a bit hidden between other restaurants and pubs.
    The staff is very friendly and quite good looking too! There is 1 person who's a bit older. He's really funny and has a very relaxed attitude about serving people. The interior, the staff, the prices and the quality of the food make me come back here over and over again

Favorite Dish: All pizzas: huge and very tasty!
    Good house wine

• larsy's Profile Photo

La Pizzarella: La Pizzarella

by larsy Updated Sep 14, 2005

Charming casual building in the center of town, with an attentive waitstaff that worships you if you tip, My friends and I ate here at least three times a week for a month.

Favorite Dish: The pizza Rimini avec ananas (ham pizza with pineapple) also great with garlic (ail)

• Chiliweenie's Profile Photo

Les Enfants Gatees: The Best of Mons

by Chiliweenie Updated Jun 27, 2005

After living in Mons for more than 10 years, I have tried all the restauants in Mons and this is the best (well hidden) restaurant you'll find within a 25 kilometer radius. Beautiful presentation, a different wine with each course. Hainaut Province is not known for its gourmet menus, this was a find.

Favorite Dish: Carpaccio of salmon and swordfish, pork roast served on a potato mash with a sauce made from blasamic vinager, borwn sugar, honey and rosemary. yummy.

• Muya's Profile Photo

Taverne Henri: Sandwich on the Market Place

by Muya Written Oct 11, 2004

Taverne Henri on the Market Place

It is nice to sit on a terrace in the summer time, and have a look at the Grand-Place and the people strolling by. At Taverne Henri, you can do so while eating a good and cheap sandwich, warm or cold, and have a refreshing drink ! Or maybe you would prefer a sandwich to take away and eat it in the Mayor's Garden ?
    Sandwiches are very cheap, around 2 euros.

• ScubaBoy's Profile Photo

La Royale: The Best Lasgane in the World (including Italy)

by ScubaBoy Written Oct 6, 2004

The English speaking Barman, David, and I

One of the many bars in the square of Mons, but with the best food, in my opinion.

Please say hello to the barman, David, from Craig and Laura. He speaks excellent English, but with a Leeds accent!! Take the mick out of him for it!!!

Favorite Dish: The Chef, Gert, makes the greatest Homemade Lasgane I have ever tasted. I have travelled many miles to it the Lasgane at La Royale, it is truely wonderful.

The rest of the menu is very good too, but my top recommendation is the Lasgane.

• ptitetoile's Profile Photo

Cinquieme saison: The top of the culinary art

by ptitetoile Updated May 4, 2004

This restaurant is simply the best one I went to in Mons !
    I went there with my family for the birthday of my mother and it is was a first class surprise for her!

there, everything is art :

-the perfect service
    -the finest gastronomy
    -the nicest table decoration
    -the most extraordonary design of the food!
    -the originality of the plates

A great experience!!!!!!

Favorite Dish: Everything was a delight :

the first free appetizer

the main plates :
    -cote de porc "a l'berdouille"
    -joue de boeuf marinee

the dessert :
    -la tartelette a la rhubarbe
    -le chocolat dans tous ses etats
    -les beignets au chocolat

• Norali's Profile Photo

Patisserie Saey: Impress your belles !

by Norali Updated Apr 4, 2004

Where to go when guys wanted to impress their belles, or simply when one wants to enjoy some quality "pastry time".

Well, what can I say ? It's on the Grand-Place. Interior is nice with glass everywhere. It's a lovely place for winter days: grenat furniture gives it some warmth.

Favorite Dish: I could only taste their pastry and chocolate: yummy, with hot chocolate or tea. I remember the mille-feuilles was to die for.

Besides, I know Saey delivers sandwiches and other snacks for business cleintýle (for your meetings...). The sandwiches were delicious too !

• Work Abroad

• Norali's Profile Photo

Barocafé: A place to marvel at while lunching in Mons

by Norali Updated Mar 30, 2004
    Barocaf��

Food is great, not a big restaurant, rather a poshy snack with simple but savourous French-style dishes: chicken turnover, fish gratin... tapas, salads.

Same as for Baroc boutiques (accessories, home furniture), I like the charming setting with bright colours. I appreciate paintings hanging on walls a well.

Open from 10am to 4.30pm, exception on Wednesday: till 4pm.
    Closed on Saturdays and Sundays
    Open on some bank holidays
    Easy parking. Non-smoker room.

Favorite Dish: I cannot remember of the name of dish. Surely, it was a kind of salad dish with horseradish sauce and a perfect rosti. Delicious!

Plat du jour from 8.00?.
    Price on the menu card (starter, dish, dessert, without wine) ranges from 6.00? to 8.00?.

You can check the card + setting here (scroll down to see the card):

• Trains

Instant Answers: Mons

Comments

Mons Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Mons restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Mons sightseeing.