Huy Travel Guide

• Rue des Freres Mineurs, Huy, Belgium 2010
    Rue des Freres Mineurs, Huy, Belgium...
    Skyline, Huy, Belgium 2010
    Fort de Huy Courtyard, Hoei Belgium 2010

Huy Hotels

Huy Restaurants

• by MistyRae Written Nov 29, 2010

(Closed on Tuesdays)

The restaurant is located right on the main round-about on the Grande Place side of the Meuse in Huy. On the side of the street opposite of the cathedral, right on the corner of the round-about are two clothing boutiques with an open hallway between them. Follow that hallway and you'll see the door to the restaurant on your right hand side (don't go down the stairs or you've gone too far.)

When you enter the door of the restaurant, simply follow the stairway up to the first landing and you're there.

We ate at a rather unusual hour so the restaurant was entirely empty. We were informed that we couldn't order the large menu options because it would take too long and they couldn't justify keeping the restaurant open so late for just three people.

The view from the restaurant is quite lovely as from any of the windows you can see the bridge over the Meuse river. The decorations were a bit 'rustic' and reminded me more of cheap Chinese buffet than a fancy Chinese Restaurant.

The menu is in French and our waitress didn't speak English so if you don't speak the language, bring a translator! The menus gave me the feeling that I shouldn't expect too much from this restaurant, while the menu folders were very nicely designed, the menu inside was roughly printed and had handwritten annotations in a very difficult to read cursive hand.

Between the three of us, we tried a few different dishes. For aperitif I had the house cocktail (white wine with lychee) , my boyfriend had his usual Pastis and our friend had a gin and tonic.

The house cocktail was pretty good although there seemed to be more fruit juice than anything else in it.

For my appetizer, I chose the 'créme d'asperge et crab' cream of asparagus and crab soup which although tasty, was creamy as the name led me to expect. The guys had 'beignets de scampis' fried shrimp. There were only two salads to choose from and neither one looked appetizing enough. It would have been nice to see some more vegetable dishes on the menu.

For our main dish, I chose the lamb with pears. My boyfriend ordered the Peking Duck and our friend ordered the Spicy Duck. The food was served on large plates with a small candle underneath for heating. The heat was pretty much useless though as our main dishes were cold by the time we finished them.

I'm not sure whether it was something in the wine that we had with our meal or if it was something in my lamb, but I suffered a mild allergic reaction to one of the things that I was eating. I stopped eating my lamb once I figured out what was happening and the reaction subsided during the drive home. As far as the waitress knew, there wasn't anything in my dish that should have caused any sort of allergies and since I haven't had an allergy test, I don't know what caused it but I urge others to be careful with the lamb and pear dish, even if it WAS one of the most delicious Chinese Cuisine dishes that I've ever had.

We ordered 'Baignets de banane' banana doughnuts with ice cream and caramel sauce for dessert and had a round of coffee before we left. There were far too many doughnuts on our plates and it was a struggle to finish dessert but we managed it.

Favorite Dish: Oddly enough, my favorite dish today was my lamb, even though it caused that slight reaction. I've never had lamb with fruits before and the flavor of the pear and the sweet sauce went so very well with the taste of the lamb.

• Business Travel

Instant Answers: Huy

Comments

Huy Travel Guide
Map of Huy