Nismes Travel Guide

vroum....
    by Norali
    Marienbourg area is used to brewing..
    Blonde Super des Fagnes beer

Nismes Restaurants

• Norali's Profile Photo
    Marienbourg area is used to brewing..

by Norali Updated Jul 16, 2004

Beer tasting in Brasserie des Fagnes

Though I am not a real beer fan, I would recommend this brewery. Premices are located in a hilly and green part of Belgium, Les Fagnes, near but NOT the Ardenne (South-West Belgium). For centuries, Mariembourgers and neighbours used to brew beer, a real tradition of the region. This is the reason why a "Brewery museum" is held in Brasserie des Fagnes premices.

As for beer, I know from connoisseurs that this is one of best handcrafted beer brands in Belgium.

One interesting formula: "Degustation" (4 Super des Fagnes sorts of beer, two glasses each, a plate of assorted cooked meats and cheese slices with trimmings).

For kids, there is a play area within the large room where clients ate. Same room includes the whole brewery equipment (including the huge copper tun). Visits of brewery and explanation are given as well, when asked.

Favorite Dish: I appreciated there homemade terrines, beer-matured cheese and brown beer. If I am not wrong, both cooked meats and cheese are produced there as well.

And oddly enough, there was a beer that I appreciated. It was one of the srongest they had, with a dark amber colour.

Nismes Transportation

• Norali's Profile Photo
    Riding bike was a great experience

by Norali Updated Jul 15, 2004

Prior to this daytrip to Nismes-Couvin area, I have never travelled so long with a bike. I had some cool rides, other more risky but all of them were wihtin short distance.

So, this was my first long ride and I can tell you, riding through this area was a very exciting exprience. It was not the Ardennes yet (I checked the map :-) but it was very green already, with upslopes and slopes. We went through green valleys, skirting some cliffs. Oh my! That was something.

Be prepared to enjoy fresh air circulating while riding and then be hit by the heat once you make a stop over some pub or an eatery.

Apart from that, what more can I say ? Aaah! take the necessary apparel. The friend who drove the bike use to impose his "passengers" some longsleeve top, hence the cotton ranger shirt under 28°C. Silly ! :-) Of course, if you are used to ride, you should have the approriate gear, not me! One day... one day. And, dont forget your helmet. The traffic can be tense sometimes since locals enjoy roadtrips to Ardennes as soon as the first sunrays arrive.

• School Holidays

Nismes Shopping

Blonde Super des Fagnes beer

by Norali Written Jul 16, 2004

After the yummy lunch we had (cf restaurant tip) and the visit of the brewery (the copper tanks were visible and explanations could be given), you may be tempted to bring something home. Please do! You would not regret it.

Just go to the counter where you can pay the bill for your lunch. There, you have many sorts of products to reminisce the experience, once home. :)

What to buy: The stall is the counter himself where you can buy the beer-refined cheese. Not sure that the cooked meats were beer-refined, anyway, they were asolutely delicious. Of course, not to forget: the beer itself with several sorts and bottle sizes.

What to pay: Sorry but I dont remember of the price. it was my Dad who paid for the treat.

Instant Answers: Nismes

Comments

Nismes Travel Guide
Map of Nismes