Parks, greenery, botanical garden, Antwerp

Know about this? Rate It!

Botanical garden
  • Norali's Profile Photo

Small botanical garden

by Norali Updated Dec 26, 2003

Botanical garden

Favorite thing: I discovered it in mid-October when with Dannie and Peter, I was on the rehearsal tour of our meeting that took place on Nov.2. haha.. looks like a serious organization, eh?

It was a nice and quiet place to wander, looking at flora species. It seems to be an off beat place that even locals tend to forget.

What's in there? would you say. Local species but also tropical ones that are nested in the greenhouses. Amongst them, cacti, they have their own special place.

Some things to see too: the men statues that are half buried in the grass so that you see only their heads... head above grass.

Some Koi carps with their red and black stains on their heads...

For the garden being located on the campus of St.-Elisabeth Hospital, there is an easy access to the area. Also an easy access to Elzenveld social and cultural, congress centre. An off-beat path activity: I saw there one of paintings collection I appreciated more this year.

Fondest memory: A place where to head to flee from bustling city. Some bench where to sit and soak up the serene atmosphere, far from the crowd, the hectic and the noise.

Something that stroke me: I found there a fruit tree that I only saw in Madagascar. I remembered the fruit was sour and had so many fibers that it took me a long time, when I was a kid, to eat it. Sakoa is its name in Malagasy. I didn't recognize it immediately because I didn't know the tree but Allain told me about it. Hadn't kept track of its scientific name there. Fragrance resembles mango but it is sour... Not bad.

• Study Abroad

• Ronald_T's Profile Photo

The herb garden on the Leopold...

by Ronald_T Updated Sep 12, 2002

Favorite thing: The herb garden on the Leopold Street is also a nice place to see, as long the weather is fine. I thought I had more pictures of this place of my former visits, but cannot find them now. Maybe they show up again later. This picture I made when I took a visit there on 9 May 2002. From left to right, you see Elle, irisbe (Danielle) and Lalique (Marianna).

• Ronald_T's Profile Photo

The herb garden (Kruidtuin) do...

by Ronald_T Written Sep 12, 2002

Favorite thing: The herb garden (Kruidtuin) do not only show you a great variety of herbs and flowers. You find here also the statue of Peeter van Coudenberghe, a former herbalist, pharmacist and biologist.

Instant Answers: Antwerp