Ilha Formosa - vegetarian, Antwerp

by myriam_c
  • Ilha Formosa - vegetarian
    by tompt
  • irisbe's Profile Photo

Ilha Formosa - vegetarian: A nice vegetarian suprise!

by irisbe Updated Nov 12, 2004

Meeting dinner at Ilha Formosa, Antwerp

When we had a meeting in Antwerp on occasion of Suri’s visit, we decided we would visit a vegetarian restaurant. Suri is vegetarian and no one of us minded to go along, on the contrary we all were very much in favour.
    Boniunia (Bozena) tipped us about Ilha Formosa and I am still thankful for doing so.

I must have past this restaurant that is based in a cellar maybe 100 times without noticing. It was a real surprise for me.

You go down the stairs and find yourself in a brick room old cellar, not particular big, so reservation is advised.
    Here they exclusively have vegetarian dishes, nothing else.
    We ordered soup, they had 3 choices and they were all 3 excellent.
    I think I had a corn soup with quite some vegetables in it.
    As we were with many, we could choose a mixed table: per 2 persons we could chose a different dish, so that we could pass it on and try them all.
    We asked the lady of the house to surprise us with a combination and she did well and with a smile.

Favorite Dish: It was really delicious!
    My favourite was the one with the raisins in it but I forgot the name.
    Not only the meals were good and we were treated very politely and with a smile.
    I would say a must if you are vegetarian and even better if you can do this with a small group.
    The dishes were a bit Asiatic of taste, but not spicy.

• Bigjones's Profile Photo

Ilha Formosa: A zen place for vegetarians

by Bigjones Written Nov 2, 2004

The restaurant is located in the cellar. It's very quiet ("zen" music) and the food is excellent and vegetarian (a lot of soja and vegetables). But if you want to have dinner there, make a reservation or go there before 9 or even 8pm (kitchen closed at 9pm).

Favorite Dish: I had a soja steak with vegetables in a Chinese sauce. Excellent !

• tompt's Profile Photo

Ilha Formosa: Vegetarian food

by tompt Written Feb 16, 2004

This eastern restaurant only serves vegetarian food. We never ate at an vegetarian restaurant before, and were not sure what to expect.
    But as one of the VT memebers on this meeting was vegetarian we decided to join him. The rest of us were not sure what to order. We let the restaurant decide what four main courses to serve. They were all great. There was tofu with curry, black beans, sweet and sour.

Open: 18:15-22:00 (fri-sat:23:00)
    closed on mondays.

• myriam_c's Profile Photo

Ilha Formosa: Ilha Formosa

by myriam_c Written Feb 8, 2004

Ilha Formosa business card

We had dinner in this Oriental vegetarian restaurant during a VT meeting because there was a vegetarian among us. Well, I'm sure not one of the 8 VTers regretted that we were recommended this place. The food was superb, the service was very good, it was a lovely quiet place (before we entered at least - LOL) in one of those typical arched caves in the historical part of the city.

Favorite Dish: When you come with a group (5/6 persons) you can order a rice table as a main course that consists of different main courses at your choice.
    We asked the waitress to surprise us and to just put something on the table because no-one of us really knew what we were going to eat anyway.
    We had veggies, soya, something in curry, something in sweet & sour, in black bean sauce ... although I still don't know what exactly I have been eating it was a great experience!

• Luchonda's Profile Photo

Ilha Formosa: Vegetarian food - this is the place to be

by Luchonda Updated Feb 8, 2004

Ilha Formosa

This restaurant is located in a previous cellar
    not that many tables are available, so reservation necessary - various menus - very friendly servants

Favorite Dish: Eight VT members tasting all kind of food and taste - sweet - sweet/sour - spicy.
    The basics are soja,beans and fruit.
    Just go there and feel like in Asia
    And with a good company - it never fails to enjoy the excellent diner

• Trains

• Ilha Formosa: Delicious vegetarian meals

by dietervb Written Mar 28, 2003

Asian style restaurant with vegetarian recipes, using meat-replacings like seitan, tofu, ...
    Healthy and delicious...

The restaurant is in the cellar of an old building. It is very near the Town Hall.

Open: Sun and Tue till Thu 18 – 22h, Fri and Sat 18 – 23h, Closed on Mon.

Instant Answers: Antwerp