Do drink enough!!!
For years, we have all been told of the importance of water. The general guideline has been to drink 2 liter of water each day. For a person who is not living an active lifestyle this may be enough, but if you are physically active, you need more water than that. That is especially true if you are hiking in the Alkmaar area due to the fact the average temperature is much higher than other areas and the city lanes with its historical houses and bridges will go up and down.
Water is essential for everyone, especially if you are hiking. Water helps almost every part of the human body function properly. Our bodies are almost two-thirds water, and proper hydration is essential to keep your body functioning properly during the hike. Some of the things water does in the body are:
* The brain is 75% water; even moderate dehydration can cause headaches and dizziness;
* Water regulates body temperature, which is especially important here in the area where the temperatures can be so brutal;
* Water carries nutrients and oxygen to all cells in the body
* Blood is 92% water;
* Water protects and cushions vital organs;
·* Water converts food into energy (which is something you will need on a 3 to 4 hour hike…);
* Muscles are 75% water, and you will use many muscles on a trail as you climb above the desert floor.Related to:
- Food and Dining
- Hiking and Walking
At places Antwerp has the famous cobblestones to walk over. So bring a pair of good walking shoes with a low heel. But, even outside the cobble stone areas, the pavement has it's challanges. Be prepared!Related to:
- Adventure Travel
- Hiking and Walking
Mind the escalators
I was transferring to a Ghent bound rain from several levels below. The escalators in the station escalate like steps at some parts and at grade level on others- so make sure not be caught off balance.Related to:
- Road Trip
Stay out of the bicycle lanes!
Coming from a city where bicycle traffic is discouraged on city sidewalks I never did get quite used to the idea of the bicycle lanes being on the sidewalks alongside where the pedestrians are walking. Several times I found myself gazing at a building or chocolate shop and looked up just as a bicyclist was getting ready to run over me. Actually, the bicyclists in Antwerp were very restrained, in Chicago I would have been flattened!
Watch for the blue signs like in my picture, the bicycle portion of the sidewalk is a different color than the walking part.
How I see this city...
I must warn you for my Antwerp page...
I like to make pictures , and I like them to be
as good as possible...
Therefor things and places I see like
this 'look little picture' might look like that 'big
picture' when you see them.
I always like to see the beautiful spots and
make the best of it and be possitive...you
know. (don't say I didn't warn you)
Don't leave anything in your car...
It happens frequently...
-Don't leave anything visible in your car
-take your cd-audio installation with you.
That's often what they are after.
-Don't park your car where they are few
houses (Ommeganckstraat , zooside is
a very popular spot for burglars)
(thats our car in the picture..
.in an open garage , again..)
Drunken & Disoedered
Be aware of those people who are very heavy drinker and they come out on the street to spoil others evening. These sorts of people could be found every where but stay away from them and avoid.
weather can be bad
The weather in Antwerp can be bad. We had very cold visits, very wet visits, and this pictuire is from a very windy visit.
Umbrellas snapped like they were made to snap. And people didn't bother to try to safe them. So everywhere you walked that night there were broken umbrellas on the ground......
Summer 2003 was really hot, sticky hot with this heatwave devastating Europe.
While visiting Belgium, now is the time locals, who use to nag about Belgian rainy weather, would pray for some rain.
My advices: bring some bottle of water while walking through the city. In addition, don't go under the sun if you are too sensitive unless you have your strong SPF cream. Sunglasses are useful to avoid this bright light hindering you.
If you drive, don't leave neither the pets, neither the kids, neither your mother-in-law in your car while having your shopping spree. And bring some extra bottles of water. These are the times when the three categories above mentioned (yes, the older mother-in-law, too) are especially vulnerable. Take care of them.Related to:
- Family Travel
Taking pictures - deep shadows
I wasn't able to take a good picture of some architectural masterpieces in sunny morning in Antwerp.
First of all there were BIG contrasts between sun-lighted areas and deep shadows - look at my picture. I used my simple Kodak camera that time (full automatic, we call them cameras for idiots :-).
1. wait for better light or skip it,
2. keep smiling :-))) and follow the links below.
- Digital Photography Review - the world's best internet service on digital cameras;
- ShortCourses - a complete guide to digital cameras, digital photography, and digital video;
- Digital Photography. The Textbook - for beginners in photography,
- photo.net - one of the world's largest photo portals online.
Have a great fun :-)
- Budget Travel
- Hiking and Walking
Mixing styles without esthetics
It seems to be a crime that is done everywhere by architectural know-alls. Building new styles besides wonderful old monuments. It just doesn;t work and it polutes the town as much as dirt and garbage. Hopefully in future we will start reckoning more, without loosing the inspiration of creating new styles.
Where's the green? Where's the trees ...
Though a watchful eye always finds some greens, I must say that Antwerpen centre lacks greenzones, trees and flowerbeds. These items could be welcome here as they always take care of a improvement in surroundings.
During my visit to Antwerp, part of the city was underconstruction. It was a big headache more so if you are driving which was my case.
OK we´d been wanting to stay here for years, but was always too pricey. We managed to get a decent...more
Previously I have stayed near the Market Square, but this time, since I was in Antwerp to visit a...more
The Park Inn by Radisson is located directly outside the Centraal Station in Antwerp which makes...more
Latest Antwerp Hotel Reviews
- Internationaal Zeemanshuis
- Great (4.0 out of 5.0) 4 Reviews
- Best Western Classic Hotel Villa Mozart
- Great (4.0 out of 5.0) 1 Review
- Radisson Blu Astrid Hotel Antwerp
- Great (4.0 out of 5.0) 10 Reviews
- Backpackers Hostel de Heksenketel
- Best (5.0 out of 5.0) 2 Reviews
- Hotel Residence
- Good (3.0 out of 5.0) 3 Reviews
- Scandic Antwerp Borgerhout
- Great (4.0 out of 5.0) 1 Review
- Het Luxepaard
- 1 Review
- Hotel 't Sandt
- Best (5.0 out of 5.0) 1 Review
- Very Good (3.5 out of 5.0) 2 Reviews
- Hotel Agora Antwerp
- Good (3.0 out of 5.0) 1 Review
Explore the World
- Dumaguete City Hotels
- South Carolina Hotels
- Male Island
- Kejimkujik National Park Hotels
- North America
- Barceloneta Hotels
- Ho Chi Minh City
- Guangzhou Warnings and Dangers
- San Francisco Warnings and Dangers
- Lisbon Warnings and Dangers
- Manali Warnings and Dangers
- Fiji Warnings and Dangers
- Jerusalem Warnings and Dangers
- Chattanooga Warnings and Dangers
- Lombok Warnings and Dangers
- Tahiti Warnings and Dangers
- Oman Warnings and Dangers
- Cusco Warnings and Dangers
- Odessa Warnings and Dangers