places better to avoid at night, Antwerp

Know about this?

War Memorial, City Park
    by steventilly
  • places better to avoid at night
    by eddymario
    Dog in the window
    by vichatherly
  • crisscrass's Profile Photo

Central Station Area

by crisscrass Written Nov 2, 2006

As with most cities in Europe the area around the central station is best avoided after dark. Especially beware for the streets around the infamous Conincksplein, as they tend to attract the more sketchy figures of our otherwise wonderful and vibrant city... Especially a lot of junks scavenge this area as they all tend to live around the day clinic which obviously doesn't cater to their needs during the nighttime, making them all the more desperate for finding money to get a "fix". Personally, I live a block away from Conincksplein and apart from being stabbed by a total stranger who kept saying he wanted to kill me I never had any trouble there. Guess what; I am lucky! ;-)
    During daytime stay alert, but in general the area is safe, there is a nice public library on the square, PERMEKE. Also good are to find african food or asian food if you like that..

• ducati's Profile Photo

do not go on the CONINCKPLEIN...

by ducati Updated Jun 20, 2003

do not go on the CONINCKPLEIN !!! the entire area is (to our norms) pretty dangerous (I bet other people living in much bigger/more dangerous cities will consider this as a big overstatement :-))
    Unless of course you like sleazy bars with a lot of coloured people (no offense) 'new' in Europe, if you get my drift.
    the street leading from the Central Station to the Coninckplein however (van Wezenbeeckstraat) has a few interesting Chinese restaurants !!!

• steventilly's Profile Photo

Stay Out After Dark

by steventilly Written Oct 7, 2002

War Memorial, City Park

The city park is a beautiful and tranquil place, and also very good for jogging around (my wife did this). But everytime we mentioned that our hotel is beside the park, someone would tell us "don't go in the park at night". Like we needed telling! But just in case you're naiive I'll tell you too - "Don't go in the park after dark".

• Here is where you will...

by malejka Written Sep 12, 2002

Here is where you will probably arrive when visiting Antwerp: the Central Station. It's a real beautyqueen,

BUT...

This is not the best neighbourhood to go for a nice srtoll... . Especially not when you leave the station via the site of the zoo. Personally I never had any problems in Antwerp, but there are some places you better don't go one your own at night, as in every big city.

And if you really have problems just scream 'HEEEEEEEELP!!!' everybody will understand you. Of course don't count on the passants, the usually just stare at what is going on... . If I happen to be there at that moment, I promise I will come and rescue you.

• Ronald_T's Profile Photo

There is in Antwerp not more...

by Ronald_T Written Sep 12, 2002

There is in Antwerp not more danger than at other towns.

You have only to be careful if you are going out for a drink in the Statiestraat and neighbourhood (near the Central Train Station - see also picture). Before you know you are in a big fight, so never go alone. I like to take a drink there, most of the time when I am waiting on my train, but I know some people over there. This not means that I am save there, but I am not soon afraid either ;-))) The most recent problems there are attacks from the different rivalry (mafia) gangs who Antwerp is rich of. In addition, a big problem is like so many other places the pickpockets, special in shopping centres and other crowded places. SO, BEWARE OF PICKPOCKETS!

Instant Answers: Antwerp

• Nov 22, 2012 at 6:30 PM

antwerp is nice city,,especially conicksplein is totally cleaned up,,conicksplein is filled with cafe and restaurants,,,there is a cafe called zomsa cafe and its heart of conicksplein where u can eat delicious tibetan food which is very cheap,,, u will find people with different age and race,,i love my city,,