Know about this?
Immigration and racism
Since Antwerp is a harbour city and that a lot of different nationalities find shelter here, there are sometimes frictions between the locals and the immigrants, hence an enhanced sentiment of racism.
This is of course not true of all Antwerp locals, of which some are even more actively implicated in the cause of immigrants than the immigrants themselves. Last year, a huge concert was organized in favor of multiculturalism and against racism (0110 - it was organized one week before the elections).
If you dont speak Dutch, you are better off speaking English than French... that's another friction you can feel here... if you absolutely want to speak French, you need to go to the South of Belgium, or at least to Brussels :-)
Antwerp people are known as arogant..We're
suppose to know everything better..we think
we got the most impotant city in the world , at
least in the northern hemisphere...
And all of those things are true , of course
A subject you might want to avoid are
politics. Antwerps situation has always
been a bit different from the rest of
flanders..Things and disasters always
happen a bit sooner in Antwepen
Another thing might be..don't say anything
arrogantly about our city. Although our city
poet said (Tom Lanoye) it is his difficult
beloved..we do love our city. A well known
saying is there is only one city in Belgium...
't stad , say that and everybody knows
you are talking Antwerp.
In the picture you can see our town major
I strongly support Skipper's...
I strongly support Skipper's view on the Vlaamsblok issue. As I heard what's going on, my heart was broken. It was the end of the myth of some sort.
- Book now for big savings!
- Hotels.com Outstanding choice of hotels all over the world at fantastic prices.
- Breakfast included
- AMOMA.com Best price - No reservation costs
Antwerp Travel Guide
Explore the World
- Little Talbot Island State Park Hotels
- Daytona Beach
- Kampung Tekek Hotels
- Zell am See
- York Village Hotels
- Surrey Hotels
- Shenzhen Warnings and Dangers
- Fort Lauderdale Warnings and Dangers
- Vienna Warnings and Dangers
- Essaouira Warnings and Dangers
- Party Hearty
- Nürnberg Warnings and Dangers
- Brunei Warnings and Dangers
- Taiwan Warnings and Dangers
- Argentina Warnings and Dangers
- Fort Wayne Warnings and Dangers
- Bermuda Warnings and Dangers
- Latvia Warnings and Dangers