Wilrijk Travel Guide

Wilrijk Things to Do

• Peter_P's Profile Photo
    Laurence Weimer

by Peter_P Updated Apr 4, 2011

The museum is mainly a centre of modern and contemporary sculpting art. It all started in 1950 with an international sculpture exhibition witch ended in a permanent open-air museum. The museum is still in expansion to host more contemporary art and a documentation centre...

Wilrijk Local Customs

My office

by irisbe Updated Jul 9, 2004

Hi meet my two office buddies :-)
    I think they had too much drinks after our New Year's reception at work. Don't you think?
    Now who is going to do all the work now?
    Me?
    `-)

• Work Abroad

John Cale;?;me;Jos��e, Ren��e

by irisbe Updated May 22, 2003

In 2001 I first, in 23 years time I worked there, attended the doctorate awards given to different people who made themselves rewarded and notified in different disciplines.
    That year I went for a special person that got rewarded in the topic "special social contributions".
    Afterwards there was a reception and I asked if I could be at least on one picture with him.
    In fact, I wasnt aware that I was photographed and filmed from all sides, especially as in the first time of my life I brought a cd with me to get it autographed!
    It was funny, I handled over my pencil and he took it with the end and the pencil dropped on the floor... so next day I get comments like what were you doing there? You were in the "picture"(television) and next moment we see you duck hahaha.
    And my mother called telling me how I do this to get on the television all the time (happens I have been on it a few times not so long before this event).
    The real funny thing was, I didn't knew I was! I was too occupied that I didn't noticed all the other camera's.
    You recognize the person?
    It is no one less then John Cale!

The next evening he played in Antwerp.
    I can tell you it was the best I saw of him! It was clearly that he put his whole soul and gratitude in it to thank the persons who had been nominating him for this award. It was great!

Suzanne, me and Ren��e

by irisbe Written May 7, 2003

We used to have 3 seperate university campus sites, silly in such a rather little city.
    So from 2003 on we officially merged into one.
    To get to know the other colleagues better, the managing board and PR service thought of organizing events to get the personal together.
    This year it was a sports afternoon or walking through Middelheim park, with a search list, and a little reception (drinks and sandwiches) afterwards.
    I can say, I had fun :-)

Wilrijk Off The Beaten Path

Middelheim Campus, University of Antwerp

by irisbe Updated Nov 14, 2006

Formerly called RUCA (Rijks Universitair Centrum Antwerp), later on Universitair centrum Antwerp, was one of the younger campus sites of the University of Antwerp. It had to be the governemental contreweight of the catholic campus UFSIA, that is now called the City Campus.
    RUCA is now called Middelheim Campus and is situated near the Middelheim hospital, the Middelheim open air park/museum and Nachtegalepark. The other side of the same RUCA campus at Groenenborgerlei is later on (due to misunderstandings) called Groenenborger Campus.
    To my opinion they better have called it the Park campus :)
    This is one of the buildings called De Villa.

Wilrijk Sports & Outdoors

Pool at the University campus Middelheim

by irisbe Written May 7, 2003

the Middelheim campus has different sport facilities at their sport complex.
    They even have about 4 or 5 pool tables (as you can see in the picture)!
    For students and personal are special prices available.

Wilrijk Favorites

Middelheim hospital

by irisbe Updated May 22, 2003

Favorite thing: There are plenty renomated hospitals around Antwerp.
    This university hospital Middelheim is very wellknown for it's heart surgery.
    It is next to the Middelheim campus and near the park.
    Any patients ( for instant cancer patients ) that can leave the hospital for a walk or a wheelchair outing can go to one of the parks and get some fresh air and relax.

It is a big hospital!

Fondest memory: well you better stay out of it, but should you get ill then you know that good help is near.

Instant Answers: Wilrijk

Comments

Wilrijk Travel Guide
Map of Wilrijk