Tongeren Restaurants

• LoriPori's Profile Photo

FIRMA VANSEER: GOTTA HAVE MY BELGIAN FRITES

by LoriPori Updated Mar 19, 2007

Hans & Frites

I told Johan, that while we were in Belgium, I must have my fix of Belgian Frites and the opportunity came in Tongeren as they had a "Frites" stand right in the centrum. They come in a paper cone and they put huge dollops of mayonaisse on them. Even their mayonaisse is different. They fry the french fries (oops frites ) in a special oil which make them taste like no other. They're to die for -- believe me.

Update: from Breughel:"Don't use the term "french fries" in Belgium just frites. The potatoes are Belgian 'bintjes". French fries are fake products prohibited by our law.
    Thanks Eddy. I stand corrected.

• LoriPori's Profile Photo

BRASSERIE APOSTOLHUIS: ALDEN BIESEN IN BILZEN -- OUTDOOR CAFE'

by LoriPori Written Aug 24, 2005

Johan & Hans

After walking up a steep hill that leads away from the castle, you come upon a patio area which serves a little restaurant BRASSERIE APOSTOLHUIS.
    A light menu of sandwiches is served here.

Favorite Dish: We thought it would be a good time for a coffee break, so that's exactly what we did. Hans and I had Koffie en Taart which was 3 Euros.

• yashiko's Profile Photo

De Pelgrim: De Pelgrim

by yashiko Updated Jun 18, 2004
    De Pelgrim

Nice old Inn which was build in 1642. It's cosy and small. It kind off takes you back in time. It's a perfect spot for a drink after a visit to the antique market. They serve good food and excellent beers. A typical oldfashioned Belgian place. A lot off locals come here to enjoy a drink after work or on their day off.
    Even our queen Paola has visited this place.

In summertime there is a terrase outside to provide more places. It is a small place and it gets verry crowded, especialy on friday evenings (locals come here after work) and on sunday (people who were on the antiquemarket)

Favorite Dish: My favorite here is defenitly are the spare-ribs with fries. It is the recommandation of the house ,and the sure are great.
    I know the owner a little bit and when he sees me enter he knows that I will order this plate. I take it every time . It's so good.

Instant Answers: Tongeren

Comments

Tongeren Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Tongeren restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Tongeren sightseeing.