Tongeren Restaurants

Fish plate @ Chuckwagon Bar-B-Que
    Chicken plate @ Chuckwagon Bar-B-Que
  • Kids menu meat balls @ Chuckwagon Bar-B-Que
    Kids menu meat balls @ Chuckwagon...

Most Recent Restaurants in Tongeren

• jojes's Profile Photo

Chuckwagon Bar-B-Que: Fantastic hamburgers!

by jojes Updated May 30, 2015

The chef/owner is a very friendly American guy.
    The entire staff always make you feel more than welcome and do their utmost best to suit your every need.
    We go here regularly and have never been disappointed by the food or the service.
    No long waiting times (I think the longest we had to wait was about 20 minutes in a weekend when the entire place was full).
    This restaurant is never empty, no matter on which day you visit. If you want to go in the weekend, it's best to call upfront to make a reservation, as it tends to get quite busy then.

The menu offers a variety of hamburgers (American size!), pasta's and other dishes. There is a special vegetarian menu as well. Also a kids menu available.
    Fresh ingredients, lovely salads, tasty fish or meat dishes, ... simple but very good !

Smoked ribs come in an 'all you can eat' formula ...

If you're really really hungry, you might like to try the 'challenge burger' ... 1 kg of meat, with vegetables and bread about 2,5 kgs ... If you win the challenge (eat the entire thing in 60 minutes time), you and 3 others eat and drink for free during the time you're 'working' on the challenge ... Don't know if anyone 'survived' this challenge though ...

Favorite Dish: Husband and oldest son always go for the 'chicken plate': nice and tender chicken filets, chicken legs, chicken wings and chicken meat in a crust.
    Their 'fish plate' is also very nice: salmon, cod, calamaris and butterfly shrimp.
    Our youngest one always orders the kids menu with meat balls in tomato sauce.
    I mostly go for the 'chicken burrito', which has a (not too) spicy sauce, or the 'Santa Fé chicken burger'. Last time I tried the chicken bacon burger .... not bad either.

Santa F�� burger @ Chuckwagon Bar-B-Que Chicken burrito @ Chuckwagon Bar-B-Que Fish plate @ Chuckwagon Bar-B-Que Chicken plate @ Chuckwagon Bar-B-Que Kids menu meat balls @ Chuckwagon Bar-B-Que

• LoriPori's Profile Photo

by LoriPori Updated Mar 19, 2007

I told Johan, that while we were in Belgium, I must have my fix of Belgian Frites and the opportunity came in Tongeren as they had a "Frites" stand right in the centrum. They come in a paper cone and they put huge dollops of mayonaisse on them. Even their mayonaisse is different. They fry the french fries (oops frites ) in a special oil which make them taste like no other. They're to die for -- believe me.

Update: from Breughel:"Don't use the term "french fries" in Belgium just frites. The potatoes are Belgian 'bintjes". French fries are fake products prohibited by our law.
    Thanks Eddy. I stand corrected.

Hans & Frites

• LoriPori's Profile Photo

by LoriPori Written Aug 24, 2005

After walking up a steep hill that leads away from the castle, you come upon a patio area which serves a little restaurant BRASSERIE APOSTOLHUIS.
    A light menu of sandwiches is served here.

Favorite Dish: We thought it would be a good time for a coffee break, so that's exactly what we did. Hans and I had Koffie en Taart which was 3 Euros.

Johan & Hans

• yashiko's Profile Photo

De Pelgrim: De Pelgrim

by yashiko Updated Jun 18, 2004

Nice old Inn which was build in 1642. It's cosy and small. It kind off takes you back in time. It's a perfect spot for a drink after a visit to the antique market. They serve good food and excellent beers. A typical oldfashioned Belgian place. A lot off locals come here to enjoy a drink after work or on their day off.
    Even our queen Paola has visited this place.

In summertime there is a terrase outside to provide more places. It is a small place and it gets verry crowded, especialy on friday evenings (locals come here after work) and on sunday (people who were on the antiquemarket)

Favorite Dish: My favorite here is defenitly are the spare-ribs with fries. It is the recommandation of the house ,and the sure are great.
    I know the owner a little bit and when he sees me enter he knows that I will order this plate. I take it every time . It's so good.

De Pelgrim

Instant Answers: Tongeren

Tongeren Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Tongeren restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Tongeren sightseeing.