Aalst Restaurants

Tricolore restaurant Erembodegem/Aalst
    by jojes
    Tricolore - some of their suggestions
    Tricolore - the 'original' plate I got

Most Recent Restaurants in Aalst

• jojes's Profile Photo

Tricolore: No second time

by jojes Updated Feb 25, 2015

We were in Aalst for 1 night, staying at the Ibis Aalst hotel.
    We wanted to go out for dinner before heading to the party we were invited to, so we looked for something close to the hotel.
    We ended up in restaurant Tricolore. It is located in what looks like a former house no used as a restaurant. The restaurant is in what I suspect to have been the former living room. It was cosy enough, since some of the old features were kept (high ceilings, fire place).
    We were there early and were the first guest to arrive.
    The owner – who is also the chef – greeted us himself.
    They have quite a number of traditional Italian dishes on the menu.
    We both decided to go for the tagliatelle with salmon.
    Mostly this dish is served with the salmon in already cut into pieces in the sauce, but here we had lots of tomato sauce and an entire piece of fresh salmon on top of the pasta. It looked really good and the piece of salmon was a very good size.
    Nothing wrong with my husband’s dish. But when I started eating, I noticed my salon still being raw and very cold on the inside. I called the waitress, who apologized and immediately took the dish with her back to the kitchen. No more than 3-4 minutes later she was back … She brought the same dish back to me (I noticed the cheese I had spread out on it earlier). But that didn’t really bother me that much. What really frustrated me was the fact that my salmon was still raw ! Apparently the chef did nothing more than put on some extra sauce on top of my salmon and return it. So the waitress was called back and this time she said she would ask for a fresh dish. We could clearly see that she herself was annoyed by this, although it wasn’t her fault.
    Some time later she came back, carrying the same pasta that I had been served before. Only this time there indeed was a new piece of salmon on top of it, this time nothing was ‘hidden’ under the sauce. But this new piece was very tiny compared to the one before and the one my husband got. But since the portion of pasta was quite large, I didn’t want to fuss over it … The piece was very thin so it wasn’t raw anymore, but it was still cold on the inside. That rang a bell: about 2 minutes before we heard something like a microwave ‘bell’ in the kitchen. So I suppose this was a piece of salmon that was pre-baked and then quickly put in the microwave again. That is probably the reason why the wait for the ‘new’ plate didn’t take any longer than 3-4 minutes again.
    I was happy enough to finally get my food, because we had to be back in the hotel in time because we had called for a taxi. So I ate my dish but we didn’t have time left for any kind of dessert of even a coffee.
    When asking for the bill, one could probably expect some kind of discount of any sort, but nothing at all …
    Would I recommend this place or go back myself … NO! The food – when it was finally cooked like it had to be – was tasty enough, but this is no way to treat a customer.

Tricolore restaurant Erembodegem/Aalst Tricolore - some of their suggestions Tricolore - outside Tricolore - the 'original' plate I got

• tompt's Profile Photo

De Kraanvogel: chinese with too much to choose from

by tompt Written Apr 30, 2007

This chinese restaurant is, as most chinese restaurants in europe, overwhelming decorated in what must look like a chinese fashion. But there were also thai fans on the wall.
    The food though was great. The menu is large, and somewhat confusing. So we decided to have a set menu. But then we had to choose between one of 6 set menus.
    As always in a chinese restaurant it was great but simply too much to eat it all.
    At the end of the meal the owner offered us a drink from the house.

• tompt's Profile Photo

La Locanda: italian with style

by tompt Written Apr 30, 2007

The interior of the restaurants breaths the atmosphere of a local italian restaurant. The food is very good. Large portions, but also great quality.
    The restaurant was full when we came the first time, they managed to squeeeze us in on a small table. But the second time we wanted to eat here there was no place at all. So if you want to eat here do book ahead.

the bill in an empty dvd cover

• kylian74's Profile Photo

Cafe de Paris: Great snacks !!

by kylian74 Written Feb 27, 2004

A cozy modern cafe located at the market square in Aalst, opposite the entrance building of the City Hall. A staffs are friendly and it's confident to dine in there.

Favorite Dish: They serves waffle's and pancakes with toppings!!. I've chosen a classic butter and sugar..well, simple but their pancake is really good !!! serves in a warmed platter..

My pancake!!

• belgianchocolate's Profile Photo

'WIENERHAUSE': The' WIENERHAUSE'....hot chocolate

by belgianchocolate Updated Feb 15, 2004

It's hard to give a description of this place. First of all , it has the atmosphere of a living room. Warm cozy , a bit posh also.
    'Yves van Biesen' and 'Bernhard Schurz' knew what they where doing.
    Of course the walls are adorned with reproductions of Gustav Klimt , some Sisi-like-paintings...Also the music is Viennese...

A really nice spot to sit and eat a pancake or lunch....

Favorite Dish: Hot chocolate.....This sounds so banal , but you just have to see it. Real hot milk , served with hot melted chocolade- good one , with different sorts of sugar...and whipped cream. (2,5 euro) and a cookie...

%cb Wienerhause

• belgianchocolate's Profile Photo

Malpertuus: Authentic atmosphere....

by belgianchocolate Written Feb 15, 2004

'Malpertuus' is a little bit of everything. A bakery , restaurant , koffee house...

It is very popular. For no price you can eat here the dish of the day...
    Most ladies come to enjoy the pies and cakes , sweets.

And okay , the place doesn't look very posh.. Who cares?

Favorite Dish: Sweets , all made in the good old oldfashioned way. Honest tastes.

%cb Malpertuus

• kylian74's Profile Photo

Restaurant Zorba: A good Griek restaurant

by kylian74 Updated Jan 17, 2004

Restaurant Zorba is quite popular to their good food, good service restaurant in Aalst. They have live Griek music performer for free and on weekend you can dance with them in Griek style. It's a very cozy restaurant, just like you'll feel simply Griek with their beautiful native interior.

Favorite Dish: Nothing but Grill lamb, but last time we took mix seafoods it was perfect too.
    I like the Baklava dessert too in Griek style.

Kyle and Werner (on Werner's bday)

• Marietje's Profile Photo

Maximiliaan: A special coffee!

by Marietje Updated Feb 19, 2005

Very cosy coffeehouse

Favorite Dish: We ordered a COFFEE MAXIMILIAAN and this was the result: a bavarois, ice cream with fresh mint, chocolate mousse, cream, an 'Aalst' liqueur and coffee! Delicious!

Instant Answers: Aalst

Aalst Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Aalst restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Aalst sightseeing.