Gent Restaurants

Most Recent Restaurants in Gent

Gruut Gentse Stadsbrouwerij

by HORSCHECK Written Mar 1, 2014

Gruut Beer tastings

Together with VT member irisbe (Dannie) and wandeljp (Jean-Pierre) I visited the Gruut Gentse Stadsbrouwerij on a Sunday afternoon at the end of December 2013.

The place is a sort of brewery pub, which brews its own beer after ancient local recipes. They use a mix of spices (gruut) instead of hop for the production of the 5 different beers, which come as white, blonde, amber, brown and inferno. A selection of hot and cold dishes is available as well.

When we entered the brewery pub at around 15:00 h it was almost empty, but quite quickly filled up with people. The bright interior consists of a mixture of wood and steel. Parts of the brewing facilities are integrated in the room. In summer an outdoor terrace on the cobbled street seems to be available.

I ordered three beer tastings for 6,50 Euro, which meant I could chose 3 different small beers from the 5 beers. I opted for the white, amber and blonde versions. They all tasted yummy and I think it was a good decision to taste the different flavours.

To eat I had a toast with cheese, salad and mustard for 8 Euro. The meal was nothing special, still I found the place well worth a visit if only for the beer tastings.

Interesting enough during the week the Gruut Gentse Stadsbrouwerij closes at 18:00 h and only on Friday and Saturdays it is open until midnight.

Gwenola Pannenkoekenhuis

by HORSCHECK Written Mar 1, 2014

Gwenola Pannenkoekenhuis: Ananas pancake

In the late afternoon of my first full day in Gent, I needed a rest from the explorations of the city. More by chance I found the Gwenola Pannenkoekenhuis, which is a kind of cafe specialised in pancakes.

As it seemed to be well frequented by both locals and tourists I decided to give it a try. On this winter Saturday afternoon it was difficult to get a free table inside, but I was lucky and got quite a good one with a view of the pedestrianised street.

The interior of the cafe is kept in a simple style with many small tables located quite close to each other. On warm days outdoor seating on the street Volderstraat is available.

The menu offers a wide variety of pancakes from sweet to hearty ones. I opted for the Ananas pancake (5,90 Euro) and also ordered a hot chocolate milk (2,40 Euro). It was just the perfect break I needed at this time of the day, so I can definitely recommend the Gwenola Pannenkoekenhuis. Service was relatively quick, taking into consideration that the place was full with costumers.

Frituur 't Puntzakje

by HORSCHECK Updated Mar 1, 2014

Frituur 't Puntzakje

The Frituur 't Puntzakje seems to be a typical Belgian fries fast food place. You can order and pay your meal at the counter and either enjoy it on the street or take it to a table on one of the upper two levels of the building.

The menu is dominated by small fries for 2,70 Euro and large fries for 3,10 Euro. A selection of almost 20 sauces for 1 Euro each is available. The fries come in a typical triangle paperbag for take-away or on a plastic bowl for eating inside the restaurant.

Apart from that, a variety of burgers as well as other Belgian and Dutch snacks from frikandel to kroket are also on offer.

During my 3 days in Gent, I twice took a break at the Frituur 't Puntzakje at totally different times of the day. Not only that I enjoyed the Belgian fries but also some people watching at the place.

• Dabs's Profile Photo

Koffie 3, 14 Thee: Luikse Waffels (Sugar waffles)

by Dabs Updated Sep 30, 2013

Luikse waffel (August 2013)

Maybe it was a good thing that we were unsatisfied with Gwenola because we decided not to have dessert there, came upon a waffle shop just a few blocks away and had our first divine experience with the glorious Luikse wafel (Liege waffle). Luikse wafels differ from the waffles we are accustomed to eating in the US that are made with a batter, Luikse wafels are heavier, made with a dough with pearl sugar. The sugar gives the waffle a sweet flavor and many people eat them with no toppings.

On our trip in September 2013, we searched this place out again. The shop had been cleaned up a bit but the same man was there selling the waffles from the window storefront.

Favorite Dish: I added fresh cream and chocolate to my waffle, I think it was 3€. Was it as amazing as I remembered? No, but it was still good and worth the calories.

• Roadquill's Profile Photo

Brasserie De Jacob: Square Front View

by Roadquill Written Jul 20, 2013

Local Gentse Triple

Brasserie De Jacob sits on the Virdagmarkt Square and is a very comfortable place to enjoy an early dinner or lunch. The Square is not quite as busy as the area nearer the center of town, but it makes for a very comfortable place to sit and enjoy a meal. I started out with a local Gentse Triple Ale, then enjoyed a great seafood soup, followed by a local blond Gruut.

• Photography
    • Beer Tasting

De Dulle Griet: De Dulle Griet

by mindcrime Written Oct 16, 2012

This is an old pub with hundred different Beers. The place was packed because we went there during the Gent festival but still the atmosphere was nice and loved the decoration everywhere around. They have reasonable prices and friendly service which was fast too!

We tried Kasteelbier blonde (4e) it’s similar to Grimbergen that we tried the previous days, Duchesse (3,3e) hm, it was kind of bitter and sweet at the same time), and Kriek Lindemans (2,8e) a bad choice as it was like drinking sour cherry juine :)

Normally they have 250 different beers but during the Gent festival they have a much smaller catalogue so to catch up with the people come and go rapidly.

• Beer Tasting

Panaché Snack: Panaché Snack

Panach��

After a long day and some beers late in the evening due to the festival we needed something light to eat and this place right in the city center seemed ideal. It’s actually one of this snack places where you can have a sandwich and go but we decided to eat there as there are tables too (inside but also outside) and they serve some basic food plates.

Unfortunately the past was really bad while the soup was nice and the club sandwich just ok. The bill was up to 19 euros.

Thai Thanee: Thai Thanee

Thai Thanee

This is a lovely Thai restaurant that was suggested by a local friend.
    Nice atmosphere, atmospheric lighting and very friendly service.

They have a long menu, we tried Chicken with vegetables and pineapple with sour sauce (15e) and Shrimps with vegetables and noodles (17e). We washed them down with a Local beer (2,50e) and also tried a Thai beer (3,50e)

It is open:
    weekdays 11.30-14.00 and 18.00-22.30 (closed on Tuesdays)
    weekends 18.00-23.00

cafee de Kraanlei: cafee de Kraanlei

by mindcrime Written Oct 16, 2012

Walking near Kraanlei we noticed numerous café and restaurants, a nice spot to relax and see people or boats passing by (pic 1).

We had already some frites (again) in our hands so we went to one of the beer/café places there at Bier Huis that has lovely view over the canal (pic 2) but a young girl came out screaming:
    -YOU CANT EAT HERE!!!
    -Ok don’t panic beauty, we will finish this and then we will come for a beer! (we were 2 meters away from the tables)
    -NO SIR YOU HAVE TO LEAVE we own this area!!!

We started to laugh with all this unexpected madness and just left (loosing some frites on the road because I kept laughing). There was a café opposite the canal so we just went there for a beer. We had 2 Stella Artois (2.20e each), the owner was very friendly but a drunk man was very annoying and there was no one else there so he was focusing on us and asked (lets say 48 times) why we don’t drink wine! :) The truth is that we weren’t very lucky with our choices in that area :)

Exki: Exki

by mindcrime Updated Oct 16, 2012

If you are hungry and don’t want to visit a regular restaurant you can try this small place that offers Bio food. It was ideal for us before we start exploring the center as it is located just a few meters away from St.Nickolas church.

That day they had 3 different soups, I just choosed the vegan one that came with bread and was delicious.

I also took a salad with balsamic vinaigrette, olive oil, linguini, ham, parmesan cheese, arugula.
    The bill for these was up to 9 euros. They also have a big range of coffee and teas in good prices.

A bit cheaper alternative is McDonalds near by (pic 4) but do you really prefer that? The building was nice though :)

• Solinti's Profile Photo

Another gourmet's paradise!...

by Solinti Updated Sep 25, 2012

Another gourmet's paradise! 'The House of Eliott' is a delightful little bistro restaurant, very cosy and originally decorated.
    You are really made to feel welcome! Just to hear the menu or desserts explained to you is a mouthwatering experience...

Favorite Dish: You can go for a snack, a copious salad or treat yourself to one of the chef's suggestions - you won't be dissapointed! I had the duck's breast with ***ake mushrooms and almond puree... Their chocolate cake is worth every calory and why not try the cinnamon coffee, too ;)

• von.otter's Profile Photo

Pink Flamingo’s: A Kitchy Trip through Time

by von.otter Written Aug 28, 2012

Pink Flamingo���s, Ghent, 2011

“Near eleven o’clock, I repaired to His Majesty’s agent, Sir Henry de Vic, who very courteously received me, and accommodated me with a coach and six horses, which carried me from Brussels to Ghent.”
    — entry for 8.October.1641, “The Diary of John Evelyn, Volume 1” by John Evelyn (1620-1706)

In a town that has changed little since the Middle Ages, the Pink Flamingo offers a cultural trip to the mid-20th century. A cool, kooky bar decorated in a movie theme, it attracts a friendly, funky crowd. Be social, make friends.

Have your afternoon coffee, tea or pick-me-up drink here while taking in the unique surroundings.

• von.otter's Profile Photo

’t Klokhuys: Timing Dinner

by von.otter Written Aug 28, 2012

?t Klokhuys, Ghent, May 2011

“Our negotiators at Ghent: their talents at diplomacy have kept pace with the valor of our arms, in demonstrating to the enemy that these States will be free.”
    — a toast at a 7.October.1815 public dinner at Lexington, Kentucky given in honor of Senator Henry Clay, one of the U.S. negotiators at Ghent

The Treaty of Ghent brought a formal end to the hostilities between the United States and Great Britain known as the War of 1812.

’t Klokhuys, in Ghent’s lively Paterhol district, offers the wonderful cuisine of Belgium, both classic and local dishes are on the menu.

Ask for a seat by the window to have a view of the passing parade on the granite-brick paved street.

Opening hours run from 12.00 to 14.15 and from 18.00 to 23.00. The restaurant is closed Monday & Tuesday afternoon.

Favorite Dish: ’t Klokhuys is known for its waterzooi, a classic chicken stew (see photo #3) of Flanders. In Flemish, “zooien” means “to boil”.

• Grand Cafe Godot: Very nice food, entirely Dutch menu

by macphile Written Aug 8, 2012
    Grand Cafe Godot - bruschetta

Godot has a rather decent little outdoor seating area, although the chairs are a little narrow. The menu has food on one side and drinks on the other, basically, in separate little laminated pages on a ring. Unlike all the other places I visited in Belgium, the menu was entirely in Dutch. Fortunately, you don't need to know Dutch to know what "bruschetta" is, but I did have to ask the waiter to clarify a couple of words ("zalm" = "salmon").

So as hinted at, I had the salmon and pesto bruschetta, which was quite good. I also had steak au poivre. It was fine, but if I were to return, I'd do something else--at least go for a better cut of meat. :-)

Service was good (although I think at first, they thought I'd just wanted the beer and didn't come back for a while).

Favorite Dish: I only had one meal so can't compare

• Restaurant de Graslei: Nice restaurant, food iffy?

by macphile Written Aug 8, 2012
    Mixed grill

I had beer (of course) and the mixed grill. The sausages were odd but good--just not what I'm used to in sausages. I'm not sure what they were made with. The chicken was a little overdone but tasted fine, cooked with turmeric. The ribs and little steaks were definitely overcooked, though. The fries were fine, as was the accompanying salad.

It's possible that their other offerings were better (and other people's food certainly looked nice) and I just chose a poor dish.

The service was good.

Favorite Dish: Only had one, so I can't compare.

Instant Answers: Gent

• Mar 16, 2014 at 11:17 AM

Last Sunday we went to Heilig Huizeke restaurant in Drongen 9031. My husband in a wheelchair because of his terminal and I where not allowed to sit on the terrace nor inside where there was still plenty places free. We were customers there in the past but will never be in the future as apparently invalid people are a blame to their reputation..

DeliaertJane living in Drongen.

Gent Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Gent restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Gent sightseeing.