Leuven Restaurants

by ATLC
    De Kansel Leuven, shrimp croquettes
    by ATLC

Most Recent Restaurants in Leuven

• Kalypta: Warning: Kalypta, what a shame !

by LeuvenJuly Written Jul 26, 2013

They cheated us with the bill. If you go to Leuven don't go to this place. The waiter and the owners (Jo Vanreusel and Maria Corbeels as I found later in the internet) are just thieves. I have looked for other opinions on this restaurant and 90% noted that the service was very bad. I would add that is even dangerous. They will try to get your money for nothing. Enjoy Leuven but not in Kalypta.

• steedappeal's Profile Photo

De Clune Taeffel: Ancient atmosphere

by steedappeal Written Jan 29, 2012

This is an old school restaurant in the heart of an old school town! A bit tired looking but presided over by an energenic host.

Favorite Dish: I tried the ribs with their special house sauce. More of a dry rib than a wet one for my taste but still interesting.

• Business Travel

• Jozzzef's Profile Photo

De clijne tafel: Simple decent food, Belgian style!

by Jozzzef Updated Apr 4, 2011

A large piece of meat, lots of sauce, lots of french fries, a small salad and some mayonaise, that is how belgians like their food. Unlike the french or italian we believe in large portions. In that respect, this is a typical belgian restaurant. Don't confuse this with "streekgerechten" = typical regional foods, which are usually simple hearty dishes grand-mother style. A plus is that they have your food ready in no time, so quick it is a bit suspicious somtimes... The place is popular so it might be a good idea to reserve a table if you want to be on the safe side. Not haute cuisine but very decent for it's kind, 'satisfied' is 'le mot just'.

Favorite Dish: Cordon blue with cream-mushroom saus and french fries (small salad is included). Koninginnenhapje (meat +chicken), stoofvlees (meatstew) and steaks are popular dishes in belgium.

• ATLC's Profile Photo

Ice cream!: A sweet cooling down

by ATLC Written Aug 15, 2010

ice cream!

Ice cream is excellent and, compared to The Netherlands, a bit cheaper. A scoop doesn't cost less but you get more of it!

Two generous scoops of fresh (!) ice cream put me back 2.20 euro. And it was delicious.

Favorite Dish: I always want malaga flavour. My other favourite flavours are: coffee, hazelnut, mango, lemon sorbet.

Fonske: The best Belgian Fries

by ATLC Written Jul 29, 2010

At the cooking ware shop we asked for a typical Belgian 'frietkot' (literally a shed where you can buy fries but usually it's simply a shop) in the center of town. One of the staff was glad we asked. That's because it seems to be city council policy to get those fries shops out of the city center.
    We thought this is ridiculous. A 'frietkot' (also known as 'frituur') is a typical Belgian thing that you see on just about every street corner normally.

We were directed to the best one in town, in the Muntstraat (exactly! That's the street where there a just about only restaurants and eateries).
    It's called Fonske. Probably after the statue of Fonske (fountain of wisdom) standing on Foch square.

So... remember Fonske!

Favorite Dish: Unfortunately we were there just between opening hours. We will have to enjoy those wonderful golden, 3x baked fries with Belgian mayonaise next time.

Open every day from 17.30 hrs

See the website for more restaurants, including Fonske.

Mare Nostra: Spanish seafood cuisine - great value lunch

by ATLC Written Jul 27, 2010

Tapas Lunch Menu at Nostra Mare, Leuven

On holiday your eating habits may be a bit different from home. Especially in Belgium where there's such a lot of good quality food. So you want a light lunch? Go here!
    You'll be in THE restaurant street of Leuven, hopefully eating on the street and watching people pass by, which I think is fun.

We were looking at the menu but were undecided when the waiter came. He said: why not take the tapas lunch menu? He described it, ending with: and you'll have eaten well.

Thus said, thus done. With the greatest pleasure!

Favorite Dish: We had a tapas lunch menu consisting of (no little portions!):
    fresh crusty bread with little dips of garlic/basil butter, good olive oil and finely cubed tasty tomatoes,
    gazpacho,
    terrine of salmon,
    terrine of shrimp,
    potato croquettes,
    fried fresh (!) calameres.

This cost us an amazing 15 euro each. Which I assure you, is next to nothing for a lovely meal.
    Adding up drinks and coffee, we spent 40 euro.

Het Dagelijks Brood: Organic cakes and bread

by ATLC Updated Jul 27, 2010

Het dagelijks brood, Leuven

Het Dagelijks Brood means Daily Bread.

If you want to skip your hotel breakfast, this is the place to go. Organic breads, jams, boiled eggs with a bowl of coffee.
    Or later in the morning a cappuccino with a wonderful rich cake.

Lunches with some hot dishes, all organic.
    It was busy with customers while we were sitting there. Rightly so!

Opening hours:
    Monday-Saturday 7.30-18.00 hrs
    Sunday and holidays: 8.00-16.00 hrs

Favorite Dish: We had coffee, cappuccino and 1 chocolate fudge cake and one 'merveilleux' made of meringue, cream with chocolate chips and a chocolate topping. Delicious!

You can also buy your bread here. Some of them are mighty big so you can buy half or a quarter bread.

Mind you, it is a bit pricy. Our cakes were 4 euro each. But I think it was worth it!

• Luxury Travel

De Kansel (the Pulpit): Good but unimaginative

by ATLC Updated Jul 27, 2010

De Kansel interior, Leuven

In the Muntstraat, where this restaurant is situated, you are spoiled for choice. However, a VT member recommended it in a tip, and friends, who live nearby Leuven, did also.

The menu is a classic Belgian one. There were main courses for 13-15 euro (for instance the Leuvens stoofvlees (simmered beef). Still, I found the menu costing just a wee bit more than what I am used to in Belgium.

Favorite Dish: Though most mussels come from The Netherlands (Zeeuwse mosselen - mussels from the province Zeeland), they are eaten most in Belgium. The big difference is: in The Netherlands you should have no expectations as to what kind (size/quality) mussels you will get in a restaurant.
    In The Netherlands you usually pay just under 20 euro for 'unlimited' mussels.

But in Belgium you get the very best, the largest and most tasty.
    You get a kilo or 1.5 kilo boiled and flavoured to your taste (I had garlic, mind you... your loving partner will not love you that night!).
    They were excellent. That course cost 23 euro, including fries and some bread.

Shrimp croquettes are a Belgian speciality. These were good. So was the sauce, a good quality flavoured mayonaise. This dish cost 10.50 euro.

The lamb chop dish with herb butter was, well... BIG. A bit too big for a normal eater, which makes it just a bit less fun. The dish was tasty but not very refined. There were no vegetables with the dish.

Salads and side-dishes to be ordered separately.

All in all we paid 83.10 euro for 2 persons, including coffees, beer and tonic and 0.5 ltr red house win.

• FilipDemuinck's Profile Photo

Brasserie Domus: Snacks and Beer

by FilipDemuinck Written Apr 4, 2010
    Brasserie Domus

Brasserie Domus in Leuven is always crowded. Here you can enjoy a small snack or a simple dish with fish or meat. We had a Spaghetti Bolognese as you can see in the picture below. This is one of the special Horeca places in Leuven who pay a lot of attention to the Belgian beer tradition. Next to the many high quality beers brewed in Belgium, they have their own small brewery.

In the house brewery, they use the traditional methods which take more time than the modern beer production. But they have time. To keep the high quality and pureness of the beer, they installed a pipeline from the brewery to the beer taps in the Brasserie. The conditions for a good beer are optimal.

• Beer Tasting

• angiebabe's Profile Photo

Cafe Leffe: Eat at a Leffe beerhouse in Leffe's hometown

by angiebabe Updated Oct 28, 2008

delicious! - Leffe beef stew with Leffe

Excellent recommendation by Brecht , my VTer (Museeuw) meet up and reliable purveyor of all things Belgian!, this stew made with Leffe beer and tender cuts of beef (but 'even better when made at home by Brecht himself'!) with an excellent salad with a large cold glass of Leffe blonde (my preference to the darker stronger stuff!) in one of those lovely Belgian beer glasses of course! was good value at only 17 euro.

The ambience was definitely of a Leffe kind - being a Leffe pub/cafe all things Leffe were here - the Leffe trademark advertised around the place - but noticeably clean both up around the restaurant and bar and downstairs around the loo areas.

Favorite Dish: Only tried this dish - but Id recommend it - and would most likely choose again if back.

• Beer Tasting

• Museeuw's Profile Photo

Samourai: Mmmm!

by Museeuw Written Jan 26, 2008

I'm definitely not an expert on Japanese food, but in my opinion this is a good restaurant. I've been to a couple of Japanese restaurants where it wasn't good, but this one is a nice experience. The fish is definitely fresh, the dishes are delicious, the show of the cook just in front of you is entertaining, ... . Everyone who works there seems to be Chinese though, but for me that is ok. As long as the food is good.

Favorite Dish: Maguro (tuna).

• Elena77's Profile Photo

De Appel: Small restaurant, great food

by Elena77 Written Jan 14, 2008

De Appel, Leuven

De Appel is a small restaurant in the centre of Leuven, right next to the University's library. Due to its location and the reasonable prices it's very popular among students and professors likewise. The restaurant is situated in a very small house but spreads over 3 floors. As we were a group of 8 we were directed to the top floor where there was only one room with a few tables and we've been on our own up there. It is a very cosy place with huge windows, wooden floor and exposed beams. The staircase that leads upwards is a bit of an adventure as it's very narrow, quite steep and only moderately illuminated. But the food and the nice service make up for the ascent!
    De Appel is open:
    Monday - Saturday 11.30am to midnight
    Closed on Sundays and public holidays!

Favorite Dish: They do have very good pasta at De Appel. I did have vegetarian lasagne which was great, maybe a little bit too oily for my liking. Guido ordered spicy Oriental Spaghetti, as far as I can recollect. Don't really remember what the other guys had... but no one complained and so I'm sure that it was good! ;)
    De Appel also offers a variety of local, national and internationl beers, which the guys enjoyed a lot! The service was very satisfying, too. Although we've been a bit "isolated" up there we've never run out of drinks.

• Study Abroad

• Chef's House: I thought it was a joke until I got the bill

by barnabor Updated Aug 1, 2007

Everything is said in the title: an impolite waiter, 90% of the dishes proposed on the menu unavailable, no fish, no shrimps, doubtful meat preparations, burned and fatty samoussas, the dishes we got were not the ones we ordered.... And to finalize, the cashier did some strange manipulations with my credit card at the moment to pay!!!!!! I will check carefully my bank account in the following days.
    To summarize, a place to avoid.

Favorite Dish: The 3 days old and dry rice that was served to us was the less disgusting thing I ate there.

• Taffi's Profile Photo

Lukemieke: Where I get lunch

by Taffi Written Jul 11, 2007

This is just round the corner from my faculty, so if I haven't brought sandwiches or bought a baguette at 't Vluggertje and don't fancy the canteen, I head for Lukemieke. It's a vegetarian restaurant, partly self-service (you get your own cutlery, glass, tap water (yep it's safe to drink) and napkins). They've usually got one soup of the day, one dish of the day, which always has at least four or five different types of food (eg a bit of green salad, a bit of potato, a bit of lentil mousaka or whatever and so on), and one oven dish. Pleasant atmosphere. It will not surprise you that it is especially popular with women!
    They also do take away. Keep the plastic containers and you get a generous discount if you bring your own the next time you come for take-away.
    Children's specials, special toddlers' dish.

Favorite Dish: By the way, they've also got yummy home-made cakes! Again, not cheap (€ 3.50), but you're unlikely to be disappointed.

• Women's Travel

• Taffi's Profile Photo

't Vluggertje: Where I get my sandwiches

by Taffi Written Jul 11, 2007

This is where I get my sandwiches - if I don't make them myself, let that be clear! They call themselves a gourmet sandwich café and rightly so. This is not your average uninspired baguette. High quality ingredients and original combinations; French/Mediterranean touch. Nice atmosphere but the terrace can be windy. Closed July - mid August. Prices in the € 2.50 - 3.90 range. Just slightly more expensive than average but worth it.

Favorite Dish: There's too many. Baguettes with home made poached salmon salad! With grilled chicken in roquefort sauce! With goat's cheese, honey vinaigrette and black olives! And so on!

• Study Abroad

Instant Answers: Leuven

Comments

Leuven Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Leuven restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Leuven sightseeing.