Leuven Tourist Traps

• Christophe_Ons's Profile Photo

Walk the walk.

by Christophe_Ons Updated Aug 9, 2005
    no sir, I don't like it

hmm... I don't see any 'added value' in the horse-and-carriage rides the city offers. While I'm sure these horses are well looked after, I'm just not that fond of the idea of exploiting animals for our entertainment.
    I reckon a horse and carriage ride out on the countryside is all well and good, but I see very little point in such a ride in the center of a city, with - in certain streets - cars zipping by and all that.

I don't mean to be rude or inconsiderate towards people with a disability or an illness - for these people it's a good option to see parts of Leuven, but if you're fit to walk, I see no reason to take these rides.

In any case : from 30 March - 30 June rides are possible during the weekends only, and daily during July-August; always from 13:00-18:00. Tickets are EUR 3 (50% off for children younger than 12) - available from the driver, outside the town hall at the Grote Markt.

Fun Alternatives: If you're able to walk, do it. You'll see a lot more going on foot - at your own pace.

• Jozzzef's Profile Photo

Fonskes chocolate

by Jozzzef Updated Mar 15, 2004

Although Fonske, a statue in the centre of the city, is the symbol of our town and chocolate is a belgian speciality, Fonske chocolates are a new invention an not a tradition at all. They can be bought all over town so they are made in a factory.

Unique Suggestions: Try the brands that made belgian chocolates famous or try one of the stores that produces chocolates themselves. Famous brands are (from cheaper to expensive): Leonidas, Neuhaus and Godiva. I like Neuhaus the best. Also don't think belgians eat these for breakfast, we eat chocolate bouht in the supermarket. You have a wide choice in the supermarkets, Callebout and Cote d'or are moest famous and very good. If you need a souvenir for a kid, or for yourself, buy them a jar of Nutella, it is chocolate paste to smear on bread, they will be eternally gratefull, i promise!

Fun Alternatives: See my shopping tips for where you can buy the best home-made chocolate you will ever have the pleasure of tasting!

Instant Answers: Leuven

Comments

Leuven Tourist Traps

Reviews and photos of Leuven tourist traps posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Leuven sightseeing.