Adinkerke Shopping

Haven't you got an 'ome to got to?
    Window Shopping!
    Forest of Cacti

Most Recent Shopping in Adinkerke

• johngayton's Profile Photo

Avenue 69: Another alternative from the mainstream LOL ;)

by johngayton Written Mar 25, 2011
    Window Shopping!

This was window shopping for me as I didn't feel inclined to pop in to see what was on offer but an interesting shop nevertheless. I like the purple-faced old building and 69 is one of my "lucky numbers" - HA!

Maybe I should have ventured in as it does sell tobacco as well as the other stuff and by all accounts (well according to the website) it's a friendly place and you can get a buckshee coffee as you peruse the goods on offer.

PS - don't use the link below if you are not over the age of majority in whatever Country you live.

What to buy: It sells tobacco as well!

What to pay: I was kinda disappointed that it wasn't on the Dijk but is on the main road to left just after the smokers/cyclists monument ;-)

• johngayton's Profile Photo

Titi Palace: A definite digression from the tobacco theme!

by johngayton Updated Mar 25, 2011
    Haven't you got an 'ome to got to?

Rather bizarrely this little shop came up in a VT forum question last week. Not many people ask about Adinkerke unless it is tobacco-related but this post -

asked specifically about this rather interesting little shop.

I haven't actually been into the shop (yes I am a tobacco tourist) but it is certainly characterful.

Link below is the shop's Facebook page.

What to buy: Garden gnomes and other interesting exterior and interior bits and bobs - to quote the FB page:

"un magasin de status en resine aussi bien pour deco interieur;
    egyptien, tous animaux, personage connu, figurine en taille reƫlle (vache, cheval, elvis, maryline, buffle,...)
    comme pour deco exterieur;
    des nain, les animaux, fontaine, moulin,..."

• Photography

• johngayton's Profile Photo

Tobacco Terminus: A Bar/Tabac Par Excellence!

by johngayton Updated Sep 29, 2009

The Tobacconist!

Most visitors come to Adinkerke for one and one only reason - to buy cheap tobacco and cigarettes. And that's exactly what I was there for too.

Having done my calculations I reckoned that a trip to Adinkerke from the UK, including my travel costs and the treat of an overnight stop in Brussels, would save me about 600 pounds over the course of the 4 months that my purchases would last. Definitely not to be coughed at ;)

So off I went. The outward trip had a couple of minor hiccups with train connections and took about 18 hours, rather than the 15 planned, but that wasn't a problem and I did get a chance to have a tantilising brief unplanned visit to Gent.

Having worked out that Adinkerke's railway station is actually at De Panne (which isn't actually in De Panne either) I had expected a 10 minute or so hike to find the nearest tobacco shop. But then across the road from the railway station was this Bar/Tabac called Tobacco Terminus with a big sign outside saying: "Tobacco".

This is a cracking little Bar/Tabac which also doubles up as "Junk Shop". Actually I'm being very unkind with the "Junk Shop" appellation - it's more an "Objets Trouve" sort of a "Junk Shop" ;)

As a bar this is spot-on, characterful and friendly and with a large beer at only 3 Euros must be one of the cheapest in mainstream Europe! I duly purchased my tobacco, packing it in my "tobacco bag" (which holds exactly the amount I require plus a change of clothes, laptop and camera - everything required for the trip!) and sat and had a very enjoyable couple of hours just shooting the bull, with a beer and a fag.

The bar is just a bar, it sells beer to an eclectic mix of locals and "tobacco tourists" and with a nice relaxed atmosphere. The owner is a friendly guy, called, I think, Harry, and does the mine host bit perfectly, chatty without being intrusive and as people come and go there's a constant bar banter which includes everyone. The first beer went down well and with the arrival of the second I had a chance to take stock of the surroundings.

WOW! This is more than just any old Bar/Tabac, it's Alladin's Cave! Instead of the usual pub knick-knacks there's a forest of cacti, piles of second-hand clothes, original paintings, antique furniture, crockery in catering quantities, boxes of tools, delicate chinaware and robustly aggressive metallic sculptures...it's kinda difficult to describe the chaotic variety! Suffice it to say that I then spent about 20 minutes just wandering around trying to get some pics that'll capture the essence but have probably failed miserably. A travelogue will follow though.

So I never did get into Adinkerke proper, maybe next time, but here's as good a place as any to get your tobacco and will be first port of call on my next visit.

Note though that they close for a month in September/October for their annual holidays and so best to ring in advance if you specifically intend going there.

What to buy: Basically tobacco but you never know what you'll find at Tobacco Terminus...everything is for sale!

What to pay: Tobacco at a third of the UK price was my reason for going!

Instant Answers: Adinkerke

Comments

Adinkerke Shopping

Reviews and photos of Adinkerke shopping posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Adinkerke sightseeing.