Belgium Beer or other drinks, Brugge

Know about this? Rate It!

• making the Tillyman jealous with gracious Caro
    making the Tillyman jealous with...
    by richiecdisc
    Sabsi and her girly beer photo shoot
    by richiecdisc
    making eyes with D after a few beers
  • richiecdisc's Profile Photo

never to return alone again

by richiecdisc Updated Feb 19, 2007

VTers out on the piss

Favorite thing: Wandering the cobblestone streets of Bruges has to be tops of everyone's list and sitting in a romantic cafe sipping an assortment of Belgian beers when it's all done is mine.

Fondest memory: Bruges has always been a bit of an enigma to me. My first trip to Belgium was strictly a beery pilgrimage. I met some friends in Antwerp for the famed 24 hours of beer festival and figured while in the country I may as well explore the better known sites so took in capital Brussels and World Heritage Site Bruges. Bruges was my last port of call and I must say it took my breath away. Antwerp and Brussels were certainly beautiful cities in their own rights but I was too consumed with beery ventures to let either seep too far into my bones. Bruges presented itself as not only a medieval masterpiece preserved in time but also a fantastically romantic getaway. There was only one problem; I didn’t have anyone to romance. I was alone. I wandered the cobblestone streets and took in all the requisite sights but somehow something was missing. I passed innumerable candle lit cafes and envied couples in all too romantic settings. I resolved never to return alone.

I made my way back five years later with hopes of bringing a Belgian girl I’d “met” on the Internet and though I did meet her in person in Ghent we never made it to Bruges. So, you might imagine my excitement when now a newly married man I planned the most recent trip to Belgium en route to my wife’s family’s home for the Christmas holidays. It would be a rushed affair but we would have one day in the city with the Lake of Love. One thing led to another and soon we were also meeting some good VT friends while there and though excited it soon became apparent as the trip neared that our romantic getaway would now perhaps not be the two of us experience we initially planned. (Continued below in Fondest Memory)

• Hiking and Walking
    • Beer Tasting

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo

finding the best of both worlds

by richiecdisc Updated Dec 13, 2007

making the Tillyman jealous with gracious Caro

Fondest memory: Our day began with a bit of a whirlwind tour of the city’s sights before stopping in at the charming café De Gare for some beer and snacks. It was great fun with the five of us quaffing some beers and joking. Still, this was the romantic café I had sat alone previously wondering what it would be like to stare into a beautiful girl’s eyes. We trekked around the town more in the afternoon and found ourselves at yet another atmospheric pub. After one beer from their meager list I announced that Doreen and I would head to my favorite of Belgian cafes and meet the rest of the crew at a pre-arranged place for dinner.

Doreen and I arrive at 't Brugs Beertje and found ourselves a table in the crowded café. The beer list was as amazing as ever and we had a wonderful cheese platter as well. We finally got to enjoy each other’s company and really didn’t want to leave for dinner. But we relented and made our way to the restaurant already chosen. Our meal of mussels were the worst I’d ever had in Belgium, quite gritty with sand and the beer list was sub par so I suggested the others meet us back at 't Brugs Beertje when they were ready.

Doreen and I headed back to our little oasis. We enjoyed another beer or so alone before the others arrived. It turned out to be quite a fun night trying a lot of different beers and even the house pate platter. In the end, two of our comrades would stay in Bruges and we’d not see them again until we made our way to Germany a few days later. Our Belgian host would drive us back to Ghent and graciously pick us up the next morning for an excursion to the much coveted beery monastic experience of Westvletteren. We fell asleep quite happy with our day’s outing. It might not have been what we had envisioned but we did have our romantic moments but had also had fun with friends we only get to see so often due to the great distances we live apart.

• Beer Tasting

• A peach shock

by sabsi Updated Mar 20, 2007

Fondest memory: This is actually my least favourite memory of Brugge: When we were there in December 2007 I couldn't find my favourite beer, Mort Subite Peche, on any drinks menu. On the last evening at Brugs Beertje we found out why. Mort Subite stopped producing it. Aaaaargh, I was devastated when I found out. Guess I have to rely on Lindemann's Apple from now on....

• An evening with Banana Beer and lots of jokes

by sabsi Written Aug 24, 2002

Are you man enough for Banana Beer?

Fondest memory: A night out with our Swedish roommates from our luxurious hostel room. We died laughing about German and Swedish stereotypes and just had a great time, drinking all sorts of strange beers ('Bananöl' was extremely popular that night ;).

• Jasoninlondon's Profile Photo

Frambozen Beer

by Jasoninlondon Written May 20, 2004

Frambozenbeir

Favorite thing: This beer is very interesting and is rasberry flavoured. It is one of the many fruit beers available that is tasty and refreshing

Instant Answers: Brugge