Views from above the City ., Brugge

Pictures taken from high up Belfort Tower.

Know about this? Rate It!

The Bell in the Belfry!
    by Nicky77
  • Views from above the City .
    by bacon_girl
  • Views from above the City .
    by bacon_girl
  • Friendly people, great food loads to see and do

by Nicky77 Updated Aug 13, 2004

Favorite thing: I loved the Churches and historic buildings in Bruges. Take time to go inside and really get a feel for them. The views from the Belfry were spectacular but be warned, there are a lot of stairs to climb and the staircase is very narrow and winding. Not for the claustrophobic! Howvever, it is well worth the effort and we treated ourselves with a waffle and coffee when we came back down.....!
    Also look in the little streets off of the Markt Square for some lovely, reasonably priced restaurants.

Fondest memory: The friendly people and the picturesque cobbled streets and beautiful buildings I went in the winter where every stop in a cafe was for a warming coffee or hot chocolate, I'm going back in the summer when , no doubt the refreshments will be colder and more alcoholic!

The Bell in the Belfry!

• Fen's Profile Photo

Ok so its just a 13th-century Bell-tower

by Fen Written Aug 9, 2003

Favorite thing: Above all, I would say that its well worth going up the Belfort. The views where Fantastic and you feel quite good with yourself after going up all those steps.

Fondest memory: One of my fondest memories of Brugge was the relaxed atmosphere. It was very nice to walk around and take everything in my stride.

View from the Belfort

• Nexus7's Profile Photo

Brugge is the way to go

by Nexus7 Updated May 18, 2003

Favorite thing: If you visit anywhere in Belgium I would simply go to Brugge. It's probably one of the nicest cities in Europe. This picture is from our room. This country is very clean, Brussels aside.

Fondest memory: I was only sixteen, and there for only two days, but I remember the beer, it was good and the seafood fresh.

Brugge Rooftops

• call_me_rhia's Profile Photo

medieval town

by call_me_rhia Written Dec 15, 2002

Favorite thing: Brugge (bruges in french) has the reputation of the best preserved medieval town in Belgium: it's in the flemish part of the country, and it's an easy and comfortable day trip from Antwerp. It's as charming as people tell you: medieval buildings are really well-preserved, the canals as scenic as you can expect them to be, and the main square is a ^true gem

Fondest memory: The problem with bruges s that its very touristic... the luck is that many of those tourists just get there on a bus tour and no not spend too long in town... so my real leasure came from strolling around the little back lanes... just as charming as the main attractions, but consistently devoid of hordes of people. very refreshing!

panoramic view on old brugge

• stefank60's Profile Photo

No one thing stands out really...

by stefank60 Written Aug 26, 2002

Favorite thing: No one thing stands out really it's just a very nice place. Can't really say too much due to shortness of visit but would happily go back again.

Lace is a speciality here as is chocolate.

Here's a major plus point that scored highly for me _ There is no Mc Global Capitalist Greed chain (you know which Mc Food chain I mean) here - or at least there wasn't when I was here. Sorry bout that but when I travel i like to see local culture, eat local food etc. It greatly saddens me when I see global multinational corporations getting everywhere eroding local character.

Fondest memory: The waterways and attractive architecture

• juanitalee's Profile Photo

If you only have one day, take...

by juanitalee Written Aug 24, 2002

Favorite thing: If you only have one day, take a boat trip on the canals.

Fondest memory: I had the opportunity to meet the musician who plays the carillon in the bell tower on the square. He invited me to sit in his 'studio' while he performed a Sunday afternoon concert. It was 360+ steps to get up there but it was well worth it. I'm posting a view from the bell tower.

• Luis_Alberto's Profile Photo

First of all, take the canal...

by Luis_Alberto Written Aug 24, 2002

Favorite thing: First of all, take the canal tour, buy lots of chocolates!, they are delicious, especially if you are a 'chocaholic' like me. And last but not least, to eat french fries with mayoneise!, what a treat, and to think the people back home, thought that I was crazy, because I always did this, in California!

Fondest memory: Visit the Stedelijke Musea for great Flemish Paintings. Het Stadhuis Van Brugge, (Town Hall of Brugge) and its Gothic Hall. 'Our Lady and the Infant' by Michaelangelo, at the church of Our Lady is a must.

• steventilly's Profile Photo

Climb To The Top...

by steventilly Updated Oct 9, 2002

Favorite thing: Climb to the top of The Belfry. It's quite a climb, but there are places to rest on the way up. The view from the top is remarkable. This is looking down on The Burg.

Instant Answers: Brugge