Arthies, Brugge

by goldenbr0wn
    by 801930711
  • Arthies: A truly Magical Experience

by marklyn Updated Apr 4, 2011

Arthies is the kind of Bistro that you used to find in Paris. Full of charm, atmosphere, local patrons and that je ne sais pas....
    Situated in the very heart of Bruges, Arthies is the kind of untouristlike place that the discerning tourist is always hoping to find. Exquisite gastronomy and impeccable service is provided by the charming hosts Sophie and Thierry Wille.
    An intimate and romantic ambiance, superb menu and beautiful decor all conspire to provide
    a very special dining experience. A real gem which we happily discovered on Christmas Day.

Favorite Dish: The Guinea Fowl is simply the best I have ever tasted. Cooked to perfection, accompanied by a delicious mash and salad, it was presented with real originality and flair. The standard of gastronomy at Arthies puts many a more expensive establishment to shame.

• Arthies Bistro: Brugge is fantastic, don't spoil it by going here!

by GSilk Written Sep 1, 2009

I would not recommend this restaurant to anyone!

The staff were cold and unapproachable, the champagne on the menu was out of stock (except for the most expensive one), the rice in the sushi was so overcooked it was served as a mash, with old tough fish on top of it, the steaks which were ordered pink arrived so well done I could have resoled a pair of shoes with them (after a thorough inspection they finally agreed to replace the order), the five in our party, as a result of all of this, all had our meals at different times during the evening, the 'manager' was snooty and aloof when we politely pointed out our disappointment and all this for a lot of euros.

We informed the reception in our hotel about our experience and they told us that they were not surprised as more guests had complained about this restaurant.

Brugge is the most wonderful place with friendly people and a great atmosphere.

What a shame it has a restaurant called Arthies to drag down this historic town.

Favorite Dish: Needless to say, not one of them.

• Arthies Bistro: Brugge is fantastic, don't spoil it by going here!

by GSilk Written Sep 1, 2009

I would not recommend this restaurant to anyone!

Brugge is the most wonderful place with friendly people and a great atmosphere.

Favorite Dish: Needless to say, not one of them.

• Arthies: Arthie's is Such a Great Find!

by Mazru Written Oct 29, 2007

Behind the beautiful 17th Century facade, typical of so many beautiful Bruges buildings, there is a real surprise waiting at Arthie's! Modern, minimalist, stylish and fantastic food at a great price. The service is so professional and very friendly..........nothing is too much trouble!
    In the summer there is a super outdoor area and our recent winter visit just confirmed this as our favourite restaurant in Bruges.

Favorite Dish: The fish dishes are to be recommended. Fresh, imaginatively prepared and served and to be savoured. The fillet steak was absolutely fantastic.........so my husband informed me.
    Everything about our meal was just perfect!

• Arthies: Finest in Bruges

by lkmcintosh Written Oct 28, 2007

An outstanding restaurant with style, panache and a first rate menu. Staff are excellent and the owner is in attendance to ensure taht everything runs smoothly. One of the best I have come across anywhere.

Favorite Dish: Any of the fish dishes.

• Arthies: Arthies - The Art of Eating

by kloney Updated Sep 7, 2007

It is rare, especially in an ancient city like Brugge, that a resaurant can be at once unashamedly modern, stylish and incredibly friendly. Thierry, Sophie & their team manage to make all visitors feel like long lost friends. Food covers all the usual Flemish favourites including mussels, steaks, fish & salads, plus snacks like croques, pasta, & pancakes. Everything is perfectly cooked and beautifully presented.
    Following a move just down the road early in 2007, they now have more space and an outside terrace adjoining Martens Hotel.

Favorite Dish: Everything is good, & stylishly presented. I usually go for fish, or something off the specials menu. Annie says ythat the steaks at Arthies are the best she has ever had

• Arthies: Disappointing

by tommo44 Written Aug 14, 2007

We booked a table after reading the reviews on VT but were very disappointed. Perhaps the chef was having a bad day, but the food was poorly thought out (fruit + salad + spring onions with everything?) and poorly cooked. The children's meal was also "yuk". Surprisingly for Bruges, even the fries weren't good.

Eating outside seemed like a good idea but the courtyard is surrounded by a modern hotel block - not quite the romantic ancient feel we hoped for. Guess we were optimistic anyway - can you be romantic with a 7 year old for company?

• Arthies: Not up to standard

by stewfraser Updated Aug 4, 2007

We dined at Arthies based on recommendations on this site. While we had no problem with the food, which was of a high standard, we did have a problem that they would not serve tap water and we had to pay 8 euros for bottled water. In addition a dessert that we did not have appeared on the bill. The service was also not up to par as there was only one waiter for about eight tables. Perhaps we were there on a bad night, but it was not what we were expecting.

• Arthies: Loved it!

by goldenbr0wn Written Apr 8, 2007

Arthie's is a small restaurant right off the main square of Brugges. The place is beautiful and the music is mellow and pleasing.

Thierry helped me select my first mussels dish ever (white wine) and even showed me the correct way to eat and dispose of them so I didn't feel too out of place. I thought the mussels were great and would love to try other types.

• Arthies: Unmissable

by MChilds31 Written Mar 3, 2007

A delightful experience with fantastic food from a host and hostess who obviously take great pride in their customer experience. The food is of an exceptionally high standard and our only regret is that Arthie's is not in our home town in England.
    It is worth returning to Brugge just to eat there. A real WOW!

Favorite Dish: Anything!

• Arthies: Fresh food, delightful experience, reasonable!

by SHillier Written Feb 24, 2007

Recommended by our hotel, and they were right! Arthies, located just off the main square, was a delightful experience. The food was exquisite and entertaining - delightful combinations of fresh, unexpected, and tasty ingredients - creative success! Each dish was better than the last. Thierry, the owner and chef, could not have been more cordial. The ambiance was charming, and the prices were quite reasonable. If only Thierry would open a restaurant in NYC! AND share his recipies!

• Arthies: Excellent Food

by rhill1 Written Feb 6, 2007

Arthies what a fantastic reastaurant. Having returned 6 times now and never been disapointed. Excellent selection of food. Beautifully presented every mouthful a delight. Great atmosphere. What more can I say.

• Arthies: Great Mussels and service!

by patg72 Written Feb 3, 2007
    Mussels at Arthie's

We stumbled upon Arthie's while looking for a restaurant that served mussels and we're happy we did. Arthie's isn't all that big, about 12 tables in a two tier dining room, but Arthie himself makes up for that with his big personality. He has a nice varied menu but the key is the mussels in the variety of broths. I highly recommend the curry one and think the local beer broth one would also be great. Get the croquets as an appetizer and leave room for the Bordje Arthie's, a great smorgas board of a dessert that includes chocolate mousse, crepes, fruit and ice cream.

Favorite Dish: My favorite dish was the mussels with curry. The aroma when it arrived at the table was great and the mussels held onto the curry flavor nicely. I could have dipped bread into the broth long after I ate all the mussels.

• Arthies: Best in Town

by oldmeede Written Jan 27, 2007

Arthies! What can you say about this great restaurant, I have had the delight of having eaten here 5 times in the last year. My last visit was on the 28th December 2006, having spent the afternoon enjoying a festive Brugge it was time to eat. The restaurant looks warm and inviting from outside. Inside Thierry and Sophie make you feel like old friends meeting up again, the decor is wonderful, the menu is full of great dishes, choices of meat,fish and pasta to satisfy any pallet. When waiting for your meal to arrive at your table you can enjoy drinks, my favorite being the local white beer whilst. listening to Thierrys great choice of music. I cannot wait to eat there again! The Crazy Englishman.

Favorite Dish: Every dish I have eaten at Arthies has been great, but if I had to pick one dish it would be the Rack of Lamb served with a beer sauce. The lamb is always fresh and tender. the sauce is unusual but compliments the lamb perfectly.This dish is also served with great tasting vegtables and potatoes. A Winner!. If you have a sweet tooth I would have a Crepe for desert they are fantastic.

• Arthies: good vibes, good food.

by marksimpson Updated Jan 26, 2007

Set in the heart of the old town just of the main square Arthies has has good food, nice ambience and a great host and hostess in Arthie and his wife.

Favorite Dish: My Wife and I had Curried Mussels and a goat cheese salad. The salad in particular was excellent. Just don't ask Arthie for mayonaise with your fries or do and see his reaction. Also, check out the local beer called Zot.

Instant Answers: Brugge

Comments

Hotels Near Arthies
4.0 out of 5 stars