De Vlaamsche Pot / Pancake house, Brugge

by Kaytie
  • piersart's Profile Photo

De Vlaamische Pot: Unbelievably Rude Owner

by piersart Written Jun 2, 2014

We asked the waiter what the chicken vol au vent consisted of and were told among other things that it contained meatballs. We asked if it would be possible to order this dish without meatballs and were told no problem, so my wife and another lady in our party ordered the dish each asking for no meatballs. You've probably guessed that the two dishes did eventually come with meatballs, so both ladies ate everything but left the meatballs uneaten. The owner came to collect the dishes and mentioned they hadn't eaten their meatballs (!), So I said that actually we'd specifically asked for no meatballs. He said rather tersely that a chicken vol au vent is not a chicken vol au vent without meatballs and scurried off. I called him back and explained the initial sequence of events , He said he didn't wish to discuss it, He said that if we were to have had the dish without meat balls that the chef would have had to take them out one by one. (was it fast food then?) He said he had been in the restaurant business 35 years and had seen everything,and that for some people (ie us) there was always something wrong and when we were in Rome we should do as the Romans.
    The thing was before he appeared we were quite enjoying ourselves and hadn't actually complained about anything, The Novotel where we were staying said they had already stopped recommending this restaurant to their guests. I can see why. Food? OK but not exactly haute cuisine.

Favorite Dish: Honestly, the food was OK but the attitude of the owner ruined our evening.

• napparawy's Profile Photo

De Vlaamsche Pot: Exceptional restaurant in an exceptional city

by napparawy Written Sep 8, 2010

Inside De Vlaamische Pot

This hidden-gem in the small street of Helmstraat,Bruges, I consider one of the best restuarants in Europe. Tasty Flamish dishes, magnificent ambience and very friendly stuff.
    You must try the rabbit dish cooked in dark belgium beer with apple sauce. Fish Waterzooi is also extraordinary dish. Beef stew is also typical flemish dish
    i LOVE this restaurant

Favorite Dish: Rabbit Stew cooked in dark Belgium Beer

• ts199's Profile Photo

De Vlaamsche Pot / Pancake house: Rather Disappointed

by ts199 Written Jun 13, 2007

Visited this restaurant on 6th June 2007. The restaurant was highly recommended by both our hotel and by a local tour guide. The restaurant is situated in a quiet back street in what appears to be an old building.
    During our stay the restaurant wasn't open on Monday or Tuesday but it seemed a very quiet Wednesday in Brugge so we decided not to book. On our arrival the lack of a booking seemed to surprise the waiter and we were left in no-mans land for a few minutes until we were eventually ushered upstairs to a nice little seating area by the window. The menu is packed with traditional Flemish food and we decided to opt for the Soup of the day - Asparagus, I chose kidney pie and my wife chicken vol au vent. Unfortunately we were ignored just long enough (about 15 minutes) for us to consider walking out. At that point a waiter did arrive and chrmlessly took our order. The food arrived relatively quickly and was ok, nothing more nothing less. The soup was good but the chicken was rather ropey and the vol au vent had a triangle of thin pastry that was tasteless. When we had finished the waiter was not interested in how our food was and at the cash desk the only conversation involved telling us how much we needed to pay.
    In conclusion the setting is good, the choice of Flemish food good, the price good, the food average likewise the service. Unfortunately, on this Wednesday, the restaurant didn't deliver and there are many other restaurants in Brugge serving Flemish food that I would go back to rather than here.

• Rachael71's Profile Photo

De Vlaamsche Pot / Pancake house: Can't wait to go back!

by Rachael71 Written May 5, 2007

De Vlaamsche Pot

My husband and I were travelling with his elderly parents and aunt and wanted to have some time together. We chose to go to De Vlaamsche Pot, and it was the perfect choice for a romantic meal for two. It is tucked away down a little side street, away from the hustle and bustle of the centre. The restaurant is lit by candles and low lights (it reminded us a little of The Witchery in Edinburgh), and everywhere you look are angels. Just beautiful. The service was excellent, not at all intrusive. Oh, and the food.... fabulous. In fact, we bought the restaurant's own recipe book to try and recreate some dishes at home.

The restaurant sits 200 people, and larger groups are seated in the rooms upstairs.

Ask at your hotel for details of the restaurant - we were given a flyer which entitled us to a free class of champagne when we arrived.

Favorite Dish: The restaurant specialises in Flemish food and we were quite spoiled for choice. We selected the set Flemish menu - a tasty farmer's pate followed by a traditional Flemish beef in beer stew, which had quite a sweet taste and was very filling. This was followed by a chocolate dessert. All accompanied by home-baked bread. It was incredibly filling so don't eat too much on the day you decide to go!

• De Vlaamsche Pot / Pancake house: Lovely place to eat

by Caperat Written Oct 1, 2006

Special place for those looking for local fare, cooked well, served in relaxed friendly surroundings. We ate twice here it was so good - once on a busy Saturday where we had no problem finding a seat (without booking) and were served fairly quickly and allowed to linger. Would recommend Chicken Vol a vent, Waterzooi of seafish & hearty Flemish stew. Servings very generous. Others have mentioned that this is used by local families. Staff cater for all efficiently with a smile!

Favorite Dish: Chicken Vol a vent - was excellent, but I'll go back and try their Moules & wish I had room for pudding.

• Trains

• Brujas's Profile Photo

De Vlaamsche Pot / Pancake house: I loved the Flemish Stew!

by Brujas Updated Sep 20, 2006

This restaurant was recommended to me in another site, as I had asked for suggestions about a good place to sample the famous Flemish stew, so I followed the advice and went there last time I was in Brugge, a year ago.

The restaurant is good, inexpensive, and just a few blocks away from the Market Square. The service and waiters were correct, not extra friendly either, but correct, so in all, yes I would recommend it.

I had the "Vlaamse karbonaden", which is a Flemish beef stew cooked in dark beer, as I had never tried it before and was curious about it. It was really good. I asked the waiter what kind of beer they had used for the stew, and he said "Leffe" bruin, so I ordered a glass of that beer as well, instead of wine, thought it would be a perfect match, and it was indeed.

As it's been mentioned by another reviewer, French fries...or should I say "frites" (as I think that's what they are called in Belgium, if I'm not mistaken) are served as a side dish, with the stew, and also a kind of apple sauce. Very good! And it was lots of stew, we could hardly finish...and even though I have a sweet tooth, didn't order dessert, as I had eaten way too much already!

I think the price of the Flemish stew was 15.50 euro, if I remember correctly.

Would definitely go there again.

Favorite Dish: There are different recipes for the Flemish stew, the one they make in this restaurant in particular has a touch of sugar, and a little chicken liver, chopped in very small pieces, but don't be put off by this, the result is really good, a mild flavor. My husband doesn't like liver and didn't even notice there was liver in it, he loved the stew. I've tried to make it home a couple of times with good results :)

• Seniors

• Kaytie's Profile Photo

De Vlaamsche Pot / Pancake house: Excellent food!!

by Kaytie Written Jan 6, 2006

How inviting!!

After arriving on 30/12/05 in Brugge in the snow, we found this gorgeous restaurant tucked away down a side street. With the snow falling and candlelight inside it looked like it was out of a fairytale book. We booked for New Years Eve and had a wonderful time. Friendly staff and customers and a lovely festive cosy atmosphere. Highly recommended!

Favorite Dish: The flemish Beef Stew amazing! As was the chicken vol au vent and the chefs steak.
    The dishes were served in a cast iron pot and my stew could have served all 5 of us alone!
    The waiter then throws a spoonful of home-made chips onto your plate out of his huge silver bowl, heaven!! A really novel idea, as was the serving of bread in a paper bag! A tremendous eating experience. Then we finished with a belgian waffle (what else?!)

• josekw's Profile Photo

De Vlaamsche Pot, ex-Pannekoekenhuis: Flemish specialties, romantic, warm & friendly

by josekw Updated Apr 4, 2004

This USED to be the Pannekoekenhuis, and now specializes in home-cooked Flemish food (though the desserts, pannekoeken and waffles are still good.) The old building is brick, cozy and brick-walled interior with warm wood pub furnishings and colors. Smoking and no smoking sections, not usual for this area. Friendly and owner-operated, good service and moderate prices. (The name may be from a 1990's Dutch sitcom by the same name, about two gay men who owned a restaurant.)

Favorite Dish: The Vlaamse karbonaden (Flemish beef stew marinated in ale) with a pile of fresh chips (fries) on the side is excellent. The vol au vent highlighted delicious chicken. Flemish rabbit is yummy. Mains are served as huge portions in iron skillets or pots, in keeping with the name. Desserts (like the Belgian chocolate mousse) are scrumptious. Everything is home-made and fresh, with great attention to detail; owner pride shows in everything here. Authentic, traditional, lovingly prepared Flemish food make this popular with locals too (but they do not advertise heavily or pay the tourist bureau to refer you.)

• Beer Tasting

• irisbe's Profile Photo

De Vlaamsche Pot / Pancake house: wouldn't you be seduced to enter?

by irisbe Updated Dec 27, 2004

De Vlaamsche Pot

Well I was tempted to find out, but we already made an appointment in another restaurant!
    Next time I will try to find out if what they serve is as good as how the restaurant looks outside!

Instant Answers: Brugge

Comments

Hotels Near De Vlaamsche Pot / Pancake house
4.0 out of 5 stars