Matinee, Brugge

• tvor's Profile Photo

Matinee: Family run canalside restaurant

by tvor Written May 24, 2009

Matinee

There are a lot of restaurants in Bruges that focus on seafood and a lot of the restaurants are quite posh and fancy. We wanted a restaurant where we'd feel comfortable and which had a menu that had some good food but nothing too gourmet. We finally found Matinee on the side of the canal just behind the Market Square. Apparently it's a family run place which always seems to make for a nice atmosphere and indeed, this had it.

It's bright and a good size. Tables and also banquette tables along the side. There are two levels with small outdoor seating areas both in the front and in the back amid a garden setting. There was even a songbird chirping from the back of the restaurant. The menu had quite a lot of variety including some seafood and mussels with about a half dozen different sauces. The service was very good, the staff very nice and accomodating.

Favorite Dish: I had the mussels which are served in a cast iron pot with a smaller pot for the shells, and of course the frites which were perfectly cooked. Graham had steak and fries and said it was also very good and cooked just as he liked it. We had fresh and crisp Belgian waffles for dessert that were just perfect! I think this is the kind of restaurant i'd definite visit again. The price was a little high but not as high as some of the others in the area. Cost for two lunch meals with soft drinks and dessert was a little over 50 euros.

• Matinee: A Most Enjoyable Place to Eat

by steve_ben Written Apr 13, 2007

After a long day walking around Bruges (first tip, take a decent pair of walking shoes or boots, those cobbles are hell on the feet) one of the things you are looking forward to is a nice meal in pleasant surroundings, that does not cost the earth.

My wife and I were looking for just this and we came across a restaurant called Matinee.

This lovely restaurant, across the road from one of the canals on Rozenhoedkaai, is slightly away from the hussle and bustle of the main squares. The restaurant itself can hold more than 60 diners in comfort, and is very light and airy. There are also a few tables out front on the pavement and in a rear courtyard, if you just want to stop for a breather and a quick drink, before you face the crowds and the cobbles again.

The menu is varied. For starters, I would definitely recommend the Onion Soup, but also high on the list will come the Croquettes stuffed with shrimp. According to my other half, these were delicious.

For a main course, I have to say that the steaks, with their various sauces were wonderful and I have never tasted frites that were so good. If you are a seafood lover, the moules were delicious - again, this dish was available in a variety of different sauces - the other half going for the garlic sauce.

Other dishes on the menu, included a selection of veal and chicken dishes, salmon and scampi etc etc. We never actually had room for dessert, but looking at the various items coming out of the kitchen we realised that we were missing out.

The menu also had various lighter bite options such as spaghetti and lasagne.

All in all this is a lovely restaurant, but what made it so special is that the Matinee is a family run restaurant and they treat you as a member of the family. The service is so good, the food so delicious and the decor so pleasant, I would not hesitate to recommend the Matinee to anybody looking for an enjoyable meal that would not cost the earth

Favorite Dish: The steaks are very good indeed

• nhcram's Profile Photo

Matinee: Mussels and chips for me please

by nhcram Updated Jul 18, 2004

Matinee Restaurant

The empahsis of this restaurant was on local cuisine. There were dishes of all kinds such as mussels and Eel. The service was good and the staff very helpful in providing information to help us choose the best dish for our meal that night.The beer that washed the meal down was reasonably priced too.

Favorite Dish: The Mussels in cream were very very good.

Instant Answers: Brugge