Taverne Curiosa, Brugge

3 out of 5 stars 8 Reviews

Vlamingstraat 22

My companions were not pausing ;-)
    by Norali
    Taverne Curiosa-VT meeting 2003
    by irisbe
    Thanks To Helga For The Pic
    by steventilly
  • Norali's Profile Photo

Taverne Curiosa: Dine in the cellar ...

by Norali Updated Mar 9, 2006

My companions were not pausing ;-)

The meeting being a farewell meeting, I chose Belgian food. I worked out my *** to find the restaurant that would fit everyone (budget, opening hours). Checked VT pages and found this. It has the adantage to open the whole afternoons and evenings. Not expensive and approved by the crew.

It's located Vlamingstraat, a famous street from a historicat point of view (saw that over the net). It occupies cellars of past centuries (16th ? 17th ?). I was afraid of claustrophobia but it was OK. We had this table in a room, we were alone there. Nice !

Ambience: the other rooms were packed by locals and tourists alike.

For budget travellers, I'd advise such places since it was a much needed warmth after the walk in the wet cold.

Favorite Dish: I only ate there once, my Vlaamse Stoof (carbonnates flamandes) was correct, I prefer their fries most.

Seems everybody was satisfied, except one person whose meat smelled badly. How can a beef meat smell like fish sauce ? I sat next to him and could really smell it. Well...

My dish being cooked with beer, I had sparkling water for the rest of the lunch. No wine (thought of it, though, being about to dine in a cellar) but I had a peach beer as aperitive.

Bill was about 16 euro (12 euro for the dish).

• Trains

• irisbe's Profile Photo

Taverne Curiosa: Back to the Middle Ages

by irisbe Written Dec 27, 2004

Taverne Curiosa-VT meeting 2003

Eating local Belgian food for a fair price, that is what you will be served here.
    You have choices between stew, made with beer, rabbit, or something with fish?
    Every dish was nice.

Favorite Dish: I went here a couple of times, but only one time I left right away and that was when there was quite some cigarette smoke.
    This is so annoying.
    They have a space for non-smokers near the bar/kitchen but don't let it fool you: it is in the same room as the smokers and there are members of the restaurant who are smoking at the same spot.
    It is a pity.
    I would have given them maybe a 4 but I reduce it with one start because of the lack of comfort for non-smokers.

They have a good choice of beers!

Open:
    Monday - Friday from 11 am to 1 am
    Saturday from 11 am till 2 am
    Sunday from noon till midnight
    Kitchen is opened till 1 hour before closing time.
    You don't need to take a reservation but it is recommended.
    You are welcome with groups.

• Helga67's Profile Photo

TAVERNE CURIOSA

by Helga67 Updated Apr 10, 2004

This cosy restaurant and tavern is located in a 16th century cellar. Watch out, though, when entering, the steps leading down from the street are extremely steep.

Favorite Dish: On the menu, you'll find some typical Belgian meals, such as mussels, vol-au-vent and flemish carbonade but also some veggie dishes.

• Beer Tasting

• John_Kaye's Profile Photo

Taverne Curiosa: This is one of the best in the mid-price range

by John_Kaye Updated May 16, 2005

Dominated by seafood (as most restaurants are in Brugge) but one of the better ones I've been too.

We had a nice meal here in slightly livelier surroundings. I would recommend it if you want something fairly traditionally Belgian but with a menu you can understand and a good atmosphere.

Favorite Dish: I've eaten here a couple of times and can certainly recommend the scampi in garlic (actually king prawn). The steaks are great but the Ostrich (not very belgian!) steak was fantastic.

• juzz's Profile Photo

Taverne Curiosa: Nice location

by juzz Written Feb 17, 2006

In my opinion the dishes weren't anything special, good but nothing special. The location is really great, though. There were many people inside so we had to wait a little also. What I still remember is the blond lady who entered ;)

• Taverne Curiosa: Good but pricey

by sabsi Written Mar 1, 2007

Taverne Curiosa is located downstairs from Vlamingstraat. The restaurant is built into a 16th century cellar which makes it rather nice.

The food is Belgian, prices are a bit higher than I like but still ok (considering you're very close to the main square). There are more fish dishes than meat dishes here so come if you like fish (which I don't really!)

There are set menus available here as well for a reasonable price.

Staff was rather friendly ... at the beginning! After a while they weren't too amused with us because for an hour we reserved the only free table they had left for our unpunctual VT friends (who showed up eventually and had no friendly word left for this place... ).

Favorite Dish: I had "1/2 Kip in de oven gebakken" which was very nice. Great spices surrounded this half chicken. And it was served with nice Belgian frites!

• tompt's Profile Photo

Taverne Curiosa: midevil cellar

by tompt Written Feb 17, 2004
    Rudy and Dannie nearly falling over, Peter steady

In taverna curiosa you can have a snack or a good meal for a reasonable price.
    The taverna is located in a midevil cellar. And although the picture looks like it is on a slope it is really nice to sit there.

Favorite Dish: The fishsoup was just great. You have to order it with two though.

• steventilly's Profile Photo

Taverne Curiosa: Much Better In 2002

by steventilly Written Oct 9, 2002
    Thanks To Helga For The Pic

I think things are better now - unless it was just because we had "expert guides" - but we did manage to find much more veggie food in 2002.
    We ate at this cellar bar "Taverne Curiosa" with Helga and Walter, though it was actually a third friend Filip who showed us this place originally.
    It's a nice place with some good food in a very cosy and quite "romantic" setting.

Favorite Dish: I had veggie spaghetti. Not as good (by a long way) as Don Camillos in Hoegaarden, but still very nice.
    Susan had warm goats cheese salad, which was lovely.
    I won't tell you what Walter & Helga had ;-)

Instant Answers: Brugge