The Tom Pouce Restaurant., Brugge

2 out of 5 stars 8 Reviews

Burg 17

• A partial view from the patio of the restaurant.
    A partial view from the patio of the...
    A partial view of Burg Square
    by unaS
  • The covered area is heated - nice on a rainy day.
    The covered area is heated - nice on a...
  • unaS's Profile Photo

The Tom Pouce Restaurant.: Do try the chicken waterzooei

by unaS Updated Mar 28, 2009

The covered area is heated - nice on a rainy day.

One of a line of four restaurants on Burg Square near to the Holy Blood Church.

Pleasant waiter, good food, nice ambience.
    It was pouring but I was warm and dry in the covered outdoor patio (with heating).
    A lovely experience.

I had a chicken waterzooei which I had been told I should eat in either Brugge or Gent. Definitely recommend it.

They do also cater to organized groups so you may have to be patient.

Favorite Dish: Chicken waterzooei and fresh green salad.

• Women's Travel
    • Seniors

• The Tom Pouce Restaurant.: The worst experience in Europe?

by craig-r Written Jul 31, 2007

Having had two excellent evening meals in the main square we decided to try this restaurant. The four of us were squeezed on to a small table next to another couple, who had to move up themselves. Despite the alarm bells we ordered our meal, which took forever to arrive. The tepid chicken waterzooi was truly awful; a chicken wing and tinned potatoes in some sort of sludge. The vegetables and sauces with the other dishes were added to the bill; a dish of peppercorn sauce cost 5 Euros, a single portion of fries were 4 Euros!!

We didn't have a first course, dessert or coffee (but did have a bottle of wine) and the bill for four of us came to 112 Euros.

Compared to other restaurants the cost was in inverse proportion to the quality and service.

Faced with the choice of missing a meal or going to this restaurant take the former!

• John_Kaye's Profile Photo

The Tom Pouce Restaurant.: Very expensive- don't be lured in

by John_Kaye Written Oct 6, 2003

It has a great location but you pay for it through the nose. Example- a small Jupiler is about 3.20 euros and is 1.20 euros around the corner at the Hollandse Vismijn!! Admittedly you are not going to want to sit out at the Hollandse Vismijn during fish market day but it is still a big difference.

I have found the food here average and in the upper end of the price bracket too. I was dragged back for a lunch and wish now I had put my foot down. The fish soup was OK tasting but finding fish was a bit like prospecting for gold in a stream. At 9 euros I might have had a sprat or a stickleback or something. Compare this with the fish soup in a restaurant we tried in Damme- 11 euros but literally chocker with fish there was no comparison.

A better lunch can be had on the Markt if you insist on scenery. Then again, the horses tend to do their ablutions in the Eastern section of the Markt so beware of smells at certain times.

Please don't go to the Tom Pouce. It isn't offensive but it doesn't really deserve your custom. There are many restaurants which will look after you much more.

Favorite Dish: Nothing

• Seniors

• Tom Pouce Restaurant: Avoid like the plague - absolutely horrendous!

by rockfox007 Written May 20, 2009

I found myself in Bruges with a colleague, unsure of where to eat but this place looked ok. I ordered a simple tomato pasta dish, but it was basically inedible - cheap, greasy and obviously from a jar, and probably an out of date jar at that! It was not worth even 1 euro, never mind the 11 they were asking (A glass of coke was also nearly *five* euros)! Then I made the 'mistake' of asking to have it taken back. I spoke to two waiters, both of whom were surly and rude. I argued with them for a good 10-15 minutes, trying to get them to take it back and not charge me. I say 'argued', but actually I tried very hard to maintain my composure and I was very polite; all the arguing was from the waiters. They told me that it was my taste that was wrong and that the food couldn't possibly be bad. I tried my best to explain that I was a customer and that my opinion did in fact matter, but to no avail. They more or less told me I was being ungrateful and kept asking me to justify my criticisms over and over.

In the end I gave up and paid, after warning them that I would be giving them negative reviews. I can claim the money back from work so maybe I gave up easier than normal but 15 minutes of complaining would tire anybody out. There are no words for these people (at least none I can post on a public forum!).

Favorite Dish: Nothing. Even the bread was stale.

• Aragina's Profile Photo

Tom Pouce Resturant in Burg...

by Aragina Written Aug 25, 2002

Tom Pouce Resturant in Burg 17. This is a lovely restaurant, wiht a family atmosphere, the menu was vaired and we ate there all the time. I fell in love with the waffles and I would come back just for the food one portion is enough for 2 people, the waiters are great and so freindly and helpful.
    The restaurant is in the main square and you can just sit and watch the worl go by as you drink and eat, I love people watching :-)

Favorite Dish: Waffles, strawberries and Ice cream :-)

• greebo's Profile Photo

Tom Pouce Resturant in Burg...

by greebo Written Aug 25, 2002

Tom Pouce Resturant in Burg 17. Has a good menu and you can sit outside, with classical music playing quietly in the background and when the evening get colder they have heaters outside so that you can remain outside, sitting with a beer and chatting. The other favourite of mine was opposite the Ter Reien hotel in Langstraat with tables overlooking the canal.
    All the staff are very friendly and helpful but I found that with all the cafes. The staff even wave goodbye to you when they finish work.

Favorite Dish: Tom Pouch does a lovely mixed grill with 3 different sauces and the waffles were superb. Opposite the Ter Reien hotel was a pub that served lunches and suppers, the menu consisted mostly of salads.

• Rachael71's Profile Photo

The Tom Pouce Restaurant.: Not our best experience

by Rachael71 Written May 5, 2007

Tom Pouce is in a lovely setting in the Burg, so you can sit out and enjoy the sight of the Town Hall and Basilica while you eat, and we stopped here one evening for coffee and ice cream. The fact that it is the only restaurant in the Burg should really have alerted us to two facts: a) that it could be pricey, and b) that it wouldn't have to try very hard as there was no competition. I can only think that we were very tired and not paying attention!

The coffee was quite the worst I had anywhere in Bruges - lukewarm and tasteless. The ice cream was fine, but over-priced. In total we paid 17 euros. We are prepared to pay a little extra for a unique setting, but we at least expect the coffee to taste like coffee if we do! Oh well, it was a lesson learned.

• LisaP39's Profile Photo

Tom Pouce: Appalling

by LisaP39 Written Jun 8, 2012

We were looking forward to dining at this restaurant due to its great location and reasonably priced menu. Our waiter apparently dispised americans. We were treated so rudely. My sister ordered a salad with her meal which arrived 45 minutes afer we ordered. Our waiter was at a table talking to a women for the entire time we waited. Another waiter brought our dinners about an hour and 15 minutes after we ordered (we could not get our waiter to come to our table, too busy talking and nobody else would help us). Our dinners were decent but not superb. It took another 45 minutes for the bill to arrive ( our waiter wouldnt even bring it over, we had to get it from a different waiter). I did get a complimentary dessert, but I would have gladly traded it in for the 3 hours of my life I wasted at this restaurant. We only had a half day in Brugge and it was wasted at this terrible place. We noticed everyone else around us ordering, eating and leaving before our food arrived. Simply appalling service. Disgraceful.

Favorite Dish: None

• Castles and Palaces
    • Museum Visits
    • Architecture

Instant Answers: Brugge

Comments

Hotels Near The Tom Pouce Restaurant.
4.5 out of 5 stars