t Hof Van Rembrandt, Brugge

by johngayton
  • t Hof Van Rembrandt
    by Cabana_Boy
  • johngayton's Profile Photo

Het Hof Van Rembrandt: The Difference Between A "Croque" And A "Tosti"

by johngayton Updated Feb 6, 2011

Tosti or Croque??

Even on a late October midweek lunchtime the terraces of the Grand Cafes around the main market square were absolutely packed with what looked to me like mostly fellow tourists. Don't read me wrong - I've no beef with places being touristy and as one myself I reckon we do contribute our own additions to a place's appeal. Busy creates buzzy and whilst I do prefer escaping the masses there are times when joining them is part and parcel of the game.

The Grand Cafes were just that tad too busy for my tastes and so I wandered a few side streets until I came across Het Hof van Rembrandt. This looked ideal for a light lunch and a few beers whilst I gave my cobblestoned-aching feet a bit of respite.

Rembrandt's House is indeed an atmospheric little cafe whose terrace rolls out onto the little mini-square of the Eiermarkt, which I think translates as "Egg Market". This at least was an escape from the infernal-combusting engines and the cafe had a pleasant, not-too-busy, buzz. The food menu (which probably was in several languages) offerred a good selection of light snacks. The beer menu too had a good range of both draught and bottled local brews and so that was my feet and I settled for a leisurely lunch.

Favorite Dish: I didn't really notice the prices when I was ordering - I was just after something simple and the "Croque Monsieur" and a glass of Leffe Blond fitted my needs. Service was youthful, prompt and friendly, the early-afternoon sun was shining into the terrace and life was good. A second beer was duly ordered as I enjoyed my post lunch cigarette and this too arrived smilingly-served (the beer that is, not the cigarette).

It was only when I called for the bill that I found out what the difference between a "Croque" and a "Tosti" is - HA! About 5 Euros!!!

It was tasty enough and the cafe is a pleasant one but a 15.50 Euro bill for a tosti and a couple of beers I thought a bit expensive - hate to think what it would have cost if I'd eaten on the main market square!

• Luxury Travel
    • Beer Tasting

• xuessium's Profile Photo

het Hof van Rembrandt: A lovely cafe for a snack and beer

by xuessium Updated Mar 19, 2006

ApplePieWithIceCream

It was a quick stop at this bustling place for a quick tea-time snack. The signature colour of the cafe cum bar was jacket green. Quite outstanding I must say. I sat Al fresco enjoying the cool late summer afternoon and went for apple pie and coffee while my buddy went for his fave - beer! Afterall, they did claim their specialties to be delicious snacks, quick lunches, draught, trappist and special beers. My buddy was thrilled to find his favourite Belgian brand on the menu.

It was bustling, more so, because there were plenty of Norwegians in town for a soccer match with the local team and the Norwegians were settling down into the many cafes lining the Eiermarket Square, toasting each other and making lots and lots of fun rowdy noises. It was almost like the real soccer match itself! My buddy was chuckling to himself all the time, lapping up the electrifying atmosphere.

Favorite Dish: The warmed apple pie with ice cream and coffee were standard. Nothing to pick apart but nothing outstanding too.

• Beer Tasting

Instant Answers: Brugge

Comments

Hotels Near t Hof Van Rembrandt
4.5 out of 5 stars