Shopping, Brugge

I don't have to tell you what this is!
    by balhannah
    by Astraeus
    Our chocolate tasting tray
    by Astraeus
  • Astraeus's Profile Photo

by Astraeus Written Jun 5, 2012
    The Chocolate Line

CHOCOLATE is neither here nor there for me. I find no great satisfaction in eating it and I have no great palette for differentiating amongst types of it. Which is why it was so remarkable when The Chocolate Line managed to absolutely astound me with its salivating array of delicacies.

The shop is small and we found it to be cramped with up to a dozen chocolate fans taking in the stunning range of chocolates on offer from simple but sensational Valencias with their strong citrus burst, through to the obscure and unconventional Ms Piggy, a bacon-flavoured cocoa hit.

I had planned ahead and organised with a chocolate-tasting session by emailing Cindy from the shop's website. After giving the shopkeeper my name, he presented us with a small wooden tray containing beautifully presented chocolates. He gave a little information on each one, including how to eat the quirky tequila chocolates complete with a pipette of tequila, and then left us to our own devices.

These chocolates are sublime. The infusions, both ordinary and extraordinary, work wonderfully well with the shop's range of bitter ganache and milk chocolate pieces. The flavours afford you a ride through each tasting with a pop of cherry subsiding as the bitterness of the dark chocolate comes through and a fruity tang remains in your mouth long after the last of the chocolate has disappeared.

Inspired by our tasting platter, we then set about taking in the mesmerizing selection of chocolates on offer. Don't be fooled by the website - the range there covers about a quarter of what is on offer in the shop and doesn't include items such as the chocolate marzipan cigars, the chocolate massage oil and the numerous hot chocolate powders on offer. The range is truly staggering and to fully appreciate it takes not only a good bit of time - think ten minutes minimum - but also an acute understanding of French in order to decipher some of the ingredients in the chocolates.

So good were the chocolates upon a tasting later that evening that we ventured back to the shop the next day to pick up another selection box to take home with us. To describe these as moreish doesn't do them justice - these are truly addictive.

For eight chocolates, the tasting cost €12 with the two tequilas coming in at €2.30 each. A decent-sized box of takeaways comprising about 20 pieces costs €16.50 - the best value selection box in my opinion.

Having also visited Suckerbuyc and Leonidas, The Chocolate Line unquestionably took home the honour of being the definitive chocolate shop in Bruges. Rather than becoming a victim of its own celebrity, The Chocolate Line is sticking to its knitting and doing a mighty fine job of producing a wild and wonderful range of chocolates.

• balhannah's Profile Photo

Belgium Chocolate & Lace

by balhannah Updated Jul 4, 2009

I don't have to tell you what this is!

Chocolate & Lace, these are two items that you should definitly have a look at in Brugge. I had a look in the Lace shops and thought that was beautiful, the only problem, I didn't need any, what a shame!
    Chocolate, oh! that was a different matter, I had to sample that, and then buy. I got a small mix of 100gm for 1.5 euro, and it was delicious. I wish I could be there for the Chocolate Festival which takes place in April every year. Live demonstrations, chocolate makers, chefs, and you get to sample the chocolate! There is also chocolate sculptures, Painters & Body painters, and how about a Chocolate Massage? sounds good to me! CHOCO -STORY is a chocolate museum located in Huis De Croon that shows you the chocolate making process. I'm getting fat just thinking about it!
    Choco story is open from 10 -5pm daily
    Admission 6 euro

• Museum Visits

• Toyin's Profile Photo

Body Shop

by Toyin Updated Feb 14, 2005

Body Shop

The road opposite the fountain leads directly to St Salvator's Cathedral and on to Market Squre. On the way, you will see quite a number of shops. In the pic is a body shop where you can take care of the Royal Bodies.

• bpacker's Profile Photo

Chocolates! Chocolates! Chocolates!

by bpacker Updated Sep 16, 2004

Cocoa Jaws at Chocolate Line

Are you a chocoholic like me? If you are, then going to Bruges should be your idea of heaven. There are more chocolate shops per square mile than sins of gluttony you can commit in a day . Everywhere you walk, you'll see shops selling the sweet treats, complete with the addictive smell of freshly-made, sweet chocolate. Hmm...

My favourite shop has to be the "Chocolate Line". Just check out the gigantic Chocolate Shark at the Window! Though a tad more expensive than the other shops, they sell really fine stuff. Ask for their specialty, the truffles. They taste very good and they didn't last the trip home to Singapore.

• Mahieu's Profile Photo

Fishmarket

by Mahieu Updated Jan 26, 2004

You arrive at the Fishmarket when you come from the Burg and go through the Blinde Ezelstraat. The square is also situated close to the Rozenhoedkaai (see previous tip) From Tuesday to Saturday, you can buy fresh fish directly from the sea at this square. The smell is terrible but the fish delicious!
    If you turn around, you get a nice view of the belfry and the old city.

• Vismarkt (Fish market)

by sabsi Updated Jan 11, 2004

Fish market

This is a lovely place for a market but there's a terrible smell of fish here. Not only fish is sold here, also lace and touristy things like that.

I just quickly took this picture holding my breath and ran away quickly afterwards! I guess you can tell by now that I don't like fish, eh?

• LolaSanFrancisco's Profile Photo

Buy a tapestry as your greatest vacation purchase

by LolaSanFrancisco Updated Sep 11, 2003

Sample Tapestry

Tapestry is a big deal in Brugge. I guess from what they tell me, that this was the town for it. And that several hang in major museums all over the world. Yes, yes they have doilies too, but I’m not interested in that grandma ***. I spent a good few hours shopping for a few of these. I spent around $500 and two of them. And every night I lay in bad looking at this wonderful scene of two rich chicks pointing the way for a little dandy and his dog. And from what I see in the US they sell for about $1000 or higher!

• Trains

• maiki's Profile Photo

Chocolate!

by maiki Written Aug 1, 2003

Why else would you come here? Ok, sorry, there are lots of other thing to see in Brýgge besides the chocolate stores.... But you should definately NOT miss out on the amazing local sweets.... Yummy... ;)

• Sjalen's Profile Photo

Antique market in the Dijver

by Sjalen Written Aug 26, 2002

I doubt you'll make a bargain but it is nice to stroll around and look at all the brass things etc. and sometimes you can even pick up used and polished up shells from the world wars - reminding you that farmers in this area still find shells in their fields!

• Archeology

• funkymama's Profile Photo

BRUGES DIAMOND HOUSE.During...

by funkymama Updated Aug 25, 2002

BRUGES DIAMOND HOUSE.
    During your stay in beautiful Bruges, do not miss the occasion to make a purchase of diamond jewelry at our favorable prices.
    Bruges Diamond House, situated in an elegantly restored listed building, 'De Steur' (The Sturgeon), built 1518, right in the heart of Bruges, only 80 meters from the Market Place, offers a large choice of diamonds and quality diamond jewelry in classical as well as modern designs.

• Bigs's Profile Photo

The Tintin Shop

by Bigs Written Aug 24, 2002

As I´m a huge fan of Tintin and his tales, so this was paradise for me...... well the prices weren´t and so I only bought a cover for my mobile... I would have loved to have the rocket, but it´s 1000 Euros ;( Is there anybody who buys it for me???

• iandsmith's Profile Photo

Must be good, even nuns like them

by iandsmith Written May 3, 2007

Way to advertise

This sits above a shop near the Minnewater, just at the start of the bridge over to the Beguinage. Somehow you just can't help but smile at a nun with sunnies.
    Oh, the shop sells chocolate.

• steventilly's Profile Photo

Chocolate Shops...

by steventilly Updated Oct 12, 2002

Once A Chocolate Shop

Visit the beautiful Chocolate Shop Van Tilborgh.
    In a beautiful old building in a quiet part of town, selling over 150 kinds of chocolates!
    2002 - This is now closed :-(

• funkymama's Profile Photo

SHOPPING IN BRUGGE.

by funkymama Updated Aug 25, 2002

Brugge is one of the most attractive shopping cities in west flanders,with a large variety of shops within reach of everyone's budget.

• Bigs's Profile Photo

Vismarkt

by Bigs Written Aug 24, 2002

If you don´t mind the smell, you can take a walk to the fishmarket. The fishers are selling fresh fishes on stoney tables there every morning. It´s quite smelly, but I find it quite interesting......

Instant Answers: Brugge