A safe City you could fall in love with, Brugge

by kmbeckman
    Obligatory Self Protrait by the Canal
    by bpacker
  • bpacker's Profile Photo

It's safe for a solo traveller here

by bpacker Updated Sep 21, 2004

Obligatory Self Protrait by the Canal

Bruges is the kind of place you might fall in love with and never feel like leaving. That was how I felt when I was here. Though I was alone here, I never felt lonely. There were so many folks here who were very warm and forthcoming to this solo Asian traveller. Yes, everyone here ( locals and tourists alike ) came up to talk to me whenever I started using my digi cam on a tripod. Just take note though, I am a Chinese Singaporean, not a Japanese as these jokers presume.

"Arigato, you Japanese?" ( Locals, chocolatiers, museum workers, etc)

"You go girl! Great picture. Do you want me to take one for you?" ( Tourist , European/American )

" Hello there, fellow countryman! That is a superior camera you're using from our country. It's no wonder it can do whatever you want it to do" ( Tourist, Nationality? Make a guess....)

These conversations usually extend to about 15 min or so and by the time I finish talking, I forgot what I intended to do in the first place. You know, it's funny how people assume you are a professional photographer just because of a tripod. Hell, I had to use one. How else can I take pictures of myself???

• Danger in Brugge? You've got to be kidding.

by kmbeckman Written Oct 14, 2006

About the only danger for a female will be gazing at all the gorgeous men and tripping on the cobblestone streets (no joke - I couldn't believe how hot the guys are in Belgium overall). Also a severe danger... eating Galler chocolates, oh and waffles!!! Sinful. The best, truly the best, waffles with powdered sugar I've ever had in my life. At Galler, don't miss the 75% dark ganache. To die for! And no, it wasn't just the ambiance. :) Oh another danger might be Bush beer at 12% alcohol. If you've been to America, you know that there is no such thing in existance. My recommendation...?...don't drink Bush beer while man-watching or you might fall down in the cobblestone street. And that would just be embarrassing for an American. :)

• Fen's Profile Photo

Women Travellers

by Fen Written Aug 9, 2003

Women can wander anywhere in Bruges and Ghent without being subjected to sexual harrassment.

Three -digit emergency telephone numbers listed below are valid throughout Belgium

Emergecy/police 101
    Accidents 112
    Fire brigade/ambulance 100

• codrutz's Profile Photo

Safe, and it's not just a feeling

by codrutz Written Jul 15, 2004

The city provides such a beauty of medieval architecture and winding streets, the big Grote Markt and the Canals. Everything is really miriffic. Safety is not an issue to bother you. Maybe there were crime and police officers, but I did not notice anyhing else that pure relaxation. I could easily adapt living in Brugge :)

• Sjalen's Profile Photo

You might miss the train back...

by Sjalen Written Aug 26, 2002

You might miss the train back to Brussels as you linger to the last minute in this beautiful place...

• Business Travel
    • Architecture

• steventilly's Profile Photo

Be very careful in Brugge...

by steventilly Written Aug 24, 2002

Be very careful in Brugge. The place is so beautiful you may find that you are unable to leave, or you may end up coming back so often, you never see the rest of the world :-)

Instant Answers: Brugge