Know about this?
Bruges is among the safest cities in Belgium, but in crowded places you have to beware of pickpockets. Car-jacking incidents involving expensive cars are not unheard of.
If you do not like crowds, you should try to avoid the summer months for your visit when the tourist invasion is at its high.
In summer also the mosquitoes of the canals may bring unpleasant surprise, so don’t forget insect repellent.
- Historical Travel
As I live in Brugges city center for 25 years now, I am very proud of my hometown and I am happy to read so much lovely comments about Brugge.
I think Brugge is very safe and calm. For instance, local government tries to ban as much cars as possible out of the city center. As a result, most of the locals will take their bikes to go to work, shop,...
So be careful: you often won't notice bycicles behind you as they don't produce any noice. Lots of tourists don't look before crossing the streets, are walking in the middle of the street,.. Sometimes I even see tourists looking on a small city map in the middle of a quite busy street.
You wouldn't be the first tourist hit by an angry local on a bicycle. Tourists often are looking around: buildings, shops,.. or are just talking. When they notice a bike just behind them make impredictable moves.
Therefore: on the crowded streets: try to walk as much as possible on the sidewalks. In the quiet streets: please feel free to walk wherever you want, but please be careful and keep attention on bikes before and behind you.
In my opinion, this is the major complaint made by locals about tourists.
Have a nice stay!
The town is heaving from early on in the morning in Spring and Summer. The first time I went to Brugge was on a Sunday morning in the end of May before 10am. I was quiet only for a while, and after an hour or so the masses turned up like from nowhere. The second time was year later and it just was as busy as ever.. This could be a bit off putting if you don't like crowds.
- Historical Travel
It gets crowded
Brugge is an amazing city. But I am not the only one who feels this way. It gets overrun with people all year long. There are huge crowds not only in summer, but also in the winter time. But all in all it's more than worth the trip.
- Book now for big savings!
- Hotels.com Outstanding choice of hotels all over the world at fantastic prices.
- Save up to 50% off Hotels Everyday
- Expedia.com Photos, Reviews and the Guaranteed Lowest Prices
Brugge Travel Guide
Explore the World
- Wilayah Persekutuan Labuan Hotels
- Paphos Hotels
- Minneapolis Hotels
- Dockweiler Beach State Park Hotels
- Lloret de Mar
- Singapore Warnings and Dangers
- Cebu City Warnings and Dangers
- Srinagar Warnings and Dangers
- Negril Warnings and Dangers
- Romania Warnings and Dangers
- Jerusalem Warnings and Dangers
- Hyderabad Warnings and Dangers
- San Juan Warnings and Dangers
- Be aware of Call Girls
- Saint Lucia Warnings and Dangers
- Penang Warnings and Dangers
- Ecuador Warnings and Dangers