Rijselpoort - Lille Gate, Ieper
Part of the fortified belt around the town of Ypres, is situated southwest of the city center near the fortifications is the Ramparts Cemetery where (Lille Gate) located
Restored gate that is part of the fortresses around Ypres, South from the center of town on the left side of the gate there is a British cemeteries
Lille Gate was during the war, one of the main 'corridors' to the front and was used over the Menin Gate because this path could be against enemy artillery, better protected during the war acted Bastioned the ramparts of Ypres as a shelter among the main walls there was an underground connection between the Lille Gate and the Menin Gate
Between February 1915 and April 1918, British buried many dead on the ramparts
Many tombs of the fortresses were "concentrated" in the cemeteries after the war only those who are now part of Ramparts Cemetery ", are retained, the French graves were removed after the war
We entered Ieper through the Lille Gate, the only Gate that survived the War.
It has now been preserved to its historic state after many reconstructions over the centuries.
There used to be two entrance's, a north and south, [The Lille Gate.]
The round towers are the oldest surviving part of the stone ramparts, dating from 1385 and the bridge over the gateway was added during later modifications to the city's fortifications.
The Lille Gate is also a water gateway. The river Ieperlee springs from a lock under the western round tower and flows under the city from south to north through a vaulted waterway.
It became known as the Lille Gate because the route leads to the city of Lille.
A walk along the ramparts will take you to the Rijselpoort.
The city has been walled since the Middle Ages and the Rijselpoort is the oldest remaining gate of the walls. Vauban altered the walls in 1678 – he had the towers lowered and the walls widened. Vauban (Sebastien Le Pestre, Seigneur de Vauban and later Marquis de Vauban) was born in Saint-Léger-de-Foucheret (which was later renamed Saint- Leger- Vauban his honour) in May 1633. At the age of 10 he became an orphan and was then educated by the Prior of Semur – a Carmelite friar .He became Marshal of France and the foremost military engineer of his age. He was /is famous for his skill in designing fortifications - and also for breaking through them. On the ramparts by the Rijselpoort is the Ramparts cemetery, which is a British military cemetery
After a short visit at the Ramparts cemetery, we arrived at the Lille Gate (Rijsel poort).
In fact this Lille gate is the only gate that survived the vibrating and destructive past of this city and region. It dates from the Middle Ages and has been rebuilt many times on a number of occasions.
At this point we left the Rampart Route for a short side walk towards the Wooden House.
Lille, in a part of France that used to speak a Dutch accent, is called still in Flanders "Rijssel". This two lingual expression sometimes can drive - especially visitors - nuts. Anyway, here we are at the gate that points South and the road leading to Lille goes underneath. in the gate is a memorial stone of Willem the I that did a lot for Ieper in the few decades that the Netherlands were united (1814 - 1830). This plaque however was before in the Antwerpen Gate, the one that now-a-days is replaced by the Menin Gate.
This gate at the South entrance of the fortress Ypres, is the oldest still used gate. Its robust Burgundian towers go all the way back to the fourteenth century.
The Rijsel gate dates back to 1384. It was heavily damaged in the 1914-1918 war. And restored in 1983-84.