St Martins Cathedral & Monastery, Ieper
The cathedral was essentially destroyed during World War I and has been rebuilt to what is high quality and accuracte reconstruction. It is a beautiful structure. There are pictures inside which detail the condition of the cathedral prior to reconstruction. The Cloth Hall, also accurately resored, is adjacent.
This cathedral was till 1500AC a monastry, during the grand war completely destroyed, so the original, mainly wooden construction like the roof and the pullpit are vanished
The rebuilding started in 1922 and finished in 1930. So it took about 8 years - the original cathedral was builded in the middleages - and that took 2 centuries
Inside you will find the memorials and thombs of 18 bishops
The stainless glass symbolises some Apostels and evangelists. The outer circle some weapon shields of the British Army divisions who defended Ieper during the great war.
Another pictue in this frame and located near the cathedral : "The Lapidarium"
Damaged thombstones and sculptures - a previous palace the monks builded besides the Cath.- also completely destroyed during the grand war but never rebuilded.
"Lakenhalle" - City hall - Belfry - Cathedral - Flanders Field Museum - Cemeteries and memorials
Ieper is a city in west flanders, completly ruined in the great war but defended by mainly the British, Canadian and French army - Finally rebuilded as from 1922 after authorisation of the British government and this on two conditions :
1 A memorial Arc (Meense poort)
2 The raising of an Anglican Church
The entire cathedral was lost due to bombing in the Great War. But it was rebuilt in the same style as the original 13th century one.
In the building you can find the graves of bishop Jansenius and Count Robrecht van Bethune, the "Leeuw van Vlaanderen"(lion of flanders).
The tower is 100 m high and not open to the public.
Entrance is free except during Mass.
In 1559 Ieper was proclaimed a Bisdom and ruled relgiously over a large part of Southern Flanders as well as Northern France. Filips the second of Spain was behind this nomination and he also initiated the building of a new cathedral in Ieper. For more then 200 years Ieper had it's bishop (18 to be precise). Already in the year 1000 there was a church on this place which was later reconstructed bigger and in a differnt style (first Romanic, later Gothic). Only in the last century there were plans to built the cathedral as you see it now, however the first worldwar made an abrupt ending to the work at hand. Luckely architect Cooman flea and took the plans with him to later return and erect the masterpiece as you see it now. The Saint Martin's Cathedral.
Next to the now-a-days theatre of Ieper is still a silent remember of the original purpose of this building. This is the monastry gate of the former Sint Maartens (Saint Martins). The original dated back to 1500, but it was not long belonging to this name. Already in 1560 the monastry was closed as Ieper became the seat of a Bishop. In 1780 it was remodelled in classic style and after the destruction in WW1 this copy came back again in 1938.
Around the corner following the ship of the Cathedral we will find the Ieper theatre (stadsschouwburg). This however used to be a monastry's "bar", called Capitel Bibael. The monastery of Saint Maarten however made place for the newer and restyled in neo-gothic and neo-renaissance as being the theatre and concerthall. A part is still reminding of the bar. It's the inn that is also in the same building: the Parnassushof.
The cathedral is a former bishop's church in gothic style, reconstructed after the First World War. Inside, there is a beautiful side altar. The cathedral can always be visited, but not shortly before and during the services.
St Martins Cathedral in Ypres, is a lovely building to explore.
Construction started in 1230 and finished in 1370
A beautiful building, one that is well worth spending some time in.
The cathedral is a former bishop's church in gothic style with a 100 m high tower. The church had been completely destroyed in WWI (the Great War) and has been reconstructed after the war.