The wind is not only the energy from the past. As elsewhere in the country, Kortrijk is not left to recover the cheap energy of the wind!
You will find the four turbines on the hills on your bike routes (see map with benchmarks) A new way to use free energy from the wind.
Le vent n'est pas seulement l'énergie du passée. Comme partout dans le pays Kortrijk n'est pas en reste pour récupérer l'énergie bon marché du vent !
Vous retrouverez les quatres turbines sur les hauteurs sur votre parcours à vélo (voir la carte avec les points repères) Une nouvelle manière d'employer l'énergie gratuite du vent.
The mill and backery museum
The mill also called mill Vanneste of the name of its former owner was built in 1841.
It was not only used for grinding grain but also to grind the flax crop in the important area in the past and still now (but for different reasons) to extract the oil.
Regular visits in summer (see website)
The photos were taken during one of my bike outings, convenient way to explore the region. (Map with key points to organize outings can be very useful!)
Ce moulin aussi appellé moulin Vanneste du nom de son ancien propriétaire fut construit en 1841.
Il fut non seulement employé pour la mouture du grain mais également pour moudre le lin , importante culture dans la région par le passé et encore actuellement (mais pour d'autres raisons) pour en extraire de l'huile.
Visites régulières en été (voir le website)
Les photos furent prises lors d'une de mes sorties vélo, moyen pratique pour découvrir la région. (la carte avec points clefs pour organiser vos sorties peut s'avérer très utile !)
Although they look identical, the towers were not built at the same time. The Southern tower, also known as the Speyetoren, was built in 1385 to control the traffic on the river Lys. This tower was part of the fortified fence of the first medieval castle of the Counts of Flanders. The Speyentoren was also part of the 12th century rampart, destroyed by Louis XIV in the 17th century.
The Northern tower, known as the Ingelborchtoren was built in 1415 and was used as an armory.
Nowadays, the towers are, together with the Artillerytower (in Dutch: Artillerietoren), the last remaining parts of the medieval city wall around the city. Most of the fortifications in Kortrijk were ordered to be destroyed by Vauban in 1683, a period in which the French and the Spanish armies repeatedly fought over control of the region. The remaining parts were destroyed in the 18th century and during the world wars.
A statue of John of Nepomuk can be found in the middle of the bridge spanning between the two towers. This statue of the patron saint of the drowned has, ironically, fallen into the river Lys on several occasions due to warfare in the city. The bridge between the two towers was destroyed in both world wars.
YPRES : Nocturnes 2000 - Theaterwandeling in de Vestingstad Ieper.
Our guide during this 'theatre walk' represented the town YPRES, which is old, very old (+/- 10 centuries) and marked by a great deal of suffering through the centuries.
The Golden Spurs : When visiting the Church of Our Lady, go around in the church, when you are behind the altar, look up and see the Golden Spurs hanging on the ceiling.