Pubs / Bars, Oostende

Know about this? Rate It!

PAUL AND I
    JAN AND FRAN
    DAVE AND DAWN
  • Pubs / Bars: Tao: Tao

by Olaf_Magnusson Updated Apr 11, 2010

Nice trendy cocktail bar. Stylish modern interior with light effects. Good music. Wide seats. Quick service. My cocktail was good, the other one only so-so. Prices comparable to other cocktail bars (but cocktails are overpriced everywhere). Still worth seeing.

• KathrynS8's Profile Photo

THE COSY CORNER BAR: GREAT HOSTS AND ATMOSPHERE

by KathrynS8 Written Sep 10, 2012
    PAUL AND I AT THE COSY CORNER BAR.

THE HOSTS MIRO AND FRAN ARE THE BEST EVER. YOURE SURE OF A GREAT NIGHT OUT HERE. DONT MISS GOING TO THE COSY, OR U WILL REGRET IT. ITS A FANTASTIC FRIENDLY ATMOSPHERE WHERE YOU ALL WILL BE MADE WELCOME.

Dress Code: COME AS YOU ARE.

• Gay and Lesbian
    • Singles
    • Work Abroad

• johngayton's Profile Photo

Manuscript: "Be Nice Or Leave"...

by johngayton Updated Dec 1, 2013
    Friendly Bar ;-HIC!

...is what the sign above the bar says and it seems to me to be adhered to. Manuscript is a friendly, buzzy, traditional bar with a good selection of beers, interesting locals and a chatty barman. It's very rock music orientated with a computer controlled juke box (for want of a better term) which the barman plays tunes on and takes requests.

I only popped in for a couple of chill-out beers early evening but it was pleasantly busy then and by all accounts they have regular live music by local performers which are popular and fun.

• johngayton's Profile Photo

The Spanish Inn: Spanish Karaoke!

by johngayton Updated Dec 1, 2013

The Spanish Inn is an interesting building, reputedly Oostende's oldest house which was built in the 16th century and restored in 1729. As pubs go it's not my personal cup of tea, although nothing wrong with the beer, nor the friendliness of the service, I should add. I'm just not a karaoke person.

On my brief visit the place was absolutely heaving and everyone seemed to be enjoying themselves. The organist was particularly talented, even if some of the contributors were less so.

But if you're looking for a lively pub that's open until late then don't let me put you off.

The pub doesn't open until 8.00 pm (closed Mondays) with music starting about 9 (ish).

• johngayton's Profile Photo

Cosy Corner: Well, it's on a corner!

by johngayton Written Dec 1, 2013

Cosy Corner is definitely not my sort of pub. When I'm in Europe I expect my pubs to be European. I'm even a bit fussy about so-called "Irish Pubs" outside of Ireland and I certainly don't travel to Oostende to get an "English Pub" experience.

I've only been in once when it was rammed with drunken Brits with the big screen televisions showing the English Premiere league football highlights. Lots of shouting and amateur drinking aren't my cuppa when travelling and I didn't find the place at all welcoming. Not only that but it stank.

One to avoid IMO.

• johngayton's Profile Photo

Boulevard at Hotel Empire: Suitably Louche!

by johngayton Written Dec 5, 2013

I'm not usually a big fan of hotel bars but on the couple of times I've stayed here at the Hotel Empire I've found myself having a quick beer in its cosy little ground floor lounge on my way out into town for the evening and then enjoying a little nightcap on my return.

This is one of the cheapest bars in Oostende and so attracts its little band of local regulars who are always chatty and welcoming. Because whoever is tending bar is also the hotel's duty receptionist the bar never shuts as such and so no matter what time in the morning I've gotten back there's always been customers.

On my last visit there were a couple of youngish French woman staying who treated us to an impromptu, post-midnight, pole-dancing demonstration which turned my little nightcap into a couple. The rather attractive blond receptionist joined the show, admonishing me with a sexy wink, "You can look, but this is girl's night."

"Best we all have another drink then." I replied.

• Wine Tasting

Cafe Botteltje: A "Beer Palace" I Wasn't Impressed With

by johngayton Written Dec 5, 2013

Cafe Botteltje should have been a paradise for me. I do enjoy a beer, or two, and if served in a characterful pub, at reasonable prices, I'm in heaven. I can appreciate little backstreet single-bar pubs just as much as I enjoy the glitzy grand-cafe places.

Botteltje was a disappointment though. It prides itself on stocking over 300 beers, with 13 on draft, and the pub itself with its gleaming brasses, polished woodwork and beer paraphernalia is easy-on-the-eye.

However immediately I walked through the door it didn't feel right. It wasn't particularly busy but there was a total lack of buzz, a bit like walking into a church funeral service between prayers. As I approached the bar an overkeen young barman asked if I was ready to order. I asked him to give me a couple of minutes whilst I worked out what I fancied.

I found the beer menu, all 30 or 40 pages of it, and started scanning through it. The barman was in my face again before I'd even gotten to page 2 and so I ordered something fairly common, probably a Leffe Blonde, which arrived promptly and was duly paid for, whilst I further investigated the menu.

I do like my beer, though I'm certainly not an expert, but the beer that I had in front of me wasn't right. It was cloudy, with a slight vinegary smell, and tasted musty. I caught the barman's eye and indicated that I wasn't happy with the beer. His curt reply was, "It's Belgian." as he turned his back on me.

I wasn't in the mood for an argument, and certainly not one in a foreign language. I had another sip of the beer just to make sure it wasn't just my first impression that was at fault, but nope it was pretty much undrinkable and so I left on the bar and took my custom elsewhere.

Pity because it is an attractive pub.

• tmyroniak's Profile Photo

Nicky's: Drinking Bar

by tmyroniak Written Jan 11, 2003

Small, unassuming bar at the beginning of the promenade near the Casino. Freindly staff behind the bar. I got booted an hour before they were supposed to close because the owner got tanked, fell down then wanted everyone to leave. Tried Krieg (Cherry Beer) for the first time here.

Dress Code: Casual.

• tmyroniak's Profile Photo

Elysee Pool Hall: Pool Hall - Karaoke Bar

by tmyroniak Written Jan 11, 2003

Local bar with very young girls and alot of drunks. Police came through with a muzzled Rottweiler and made sure to make eye contact with each patron before moving to the next. Bartender looks like a short Jean Claude van Dame with love handles and gold chains. Local kids and drunk fishermen were playing pool at the two tables, while Jean Claude sang Elvis tunes to the girls dancing on the dance floor. One of the town drunks (a fisherman who looked like a cross between Keith Richards and Dudley Moore) spilled bottle of tonic on me, tried to light my ear on fire and start a fight. Very smokey bar.

Dress Code: Casual

• tweetycaro's Profile Photo

Manuscript: Life music in Oostende.........

by tweetycaro Written Apr 14, 2004

bar

The best place in Oostende for life music ;-)
    Here they play a lot of blues but be prepared for the weekends, than it's PARTY time !!!!
    Check the site for life events !!

Dress Code: No dresscode here, not at all.

• tweetycaro's Profile Photo

Pubs / Bars: Beer bars !!!

by tweetycaro Written Mar 12, 2004

't botteltje

Oostende has a few bars which only sell beer, beer, beer and beer ;) Like:
    * café Botteltje: 300 (!!!!!!) sorts of beer, Louisastraat

Dress Code: no dress code here

De Regisseur: De Regisseur

by tweetycaro Updated Apr 4, 2011

bar

If you like popular music and fun than check out de Regisseur. And don't forget the good looking bartenders ;-)))

Dress Code: no dress code

• alectrevor's Profile Photo

Pubs / Bars: Ron"s pub.

by alectrevor Written Sep 4, 2011

Rons Pub

Evening Entertainment is organist playing and singing all the popular songs. Very popular place. Beer is 50 cents more to pay for entertainment at 2 euro small glass. Loads of Brits here.

• tweetycaro's Profile Photo

Tati's Jazz Club: Jazz !!!

by tweetycaro Written Nov 4, 2005

only club in oostende with live jazz music: every thursday live music, on weekends; free stage. It's open every day from 18 till.........

Dress Code: just be yourself

• Innovator's Profile Photo

Bordel Musical: Funky tunes @ Bordel Musical

by Innovator Written May 24, 2009

Nice new café with music from DJ Bobo & local guest dj's and great cocktails.
    It's a bit small but cosy café, so if you're into disco-funk-soul-house-... this is the place 2 be!

Instant Answers: Oostende

Comments

Other Nightlife in Oostende