The cityhall is build in Lodewijk XV-style in 1769-1771.
High in the gable is the shield of Karel Theodor (1724-1799), duke of Neuburg, monarch of Beieren, count of the Rhine, and lord of the Land van Wijnendaele and the city Roeselare.
Inside are some real pieces of art. When we visited the cityhall was closed, so we did not see the interior.
Klooster der Grauwzusters (monastery)
At the Market square at the east side is this gothic 16th century crow-stepped gable. Originally this was an inn (the golden lion). In 1683 the sisters of the monastery 'der Grauwzusters-Franciscanessen' bought the place and moved in by 1685. They transformed it into a monastery.
de Grote Markt
The main square in Roeselare, de Grote Markt. Until 1704 the halle and belfort stood in the middle of this square, the outlines are made visible in stone at the parkinglot in the square.
At the east side is the gothic 16th century crow-stepped gable of the convent., at the south end is cityhall in Lodewijk XV-style, and the new wing inspired on the halle and belfort (1925).
In the picture you see the tower of Sint-Michiel above the gables of the merchant houses.
It is maybe not the best Grote Markt of Belgium, but if you look closer there is a lot of beauty to discover.
National cycling museum
In the beautiful arsenal building the national bicycle museum is housed.
It showes the earliest bicycles and the racing bicycles of today.
Working at the information desk is Freddy Maertens, once a famous belgian bicyclist.
Roeselare and cycling have a strong bond together. They once had a worldchampion, who was tragically killed during a race at the age of 22. His name was Jean-Pierre Monseré. Roeselare also produced the first belgian cyclist that won the Tour de France: Odiel Defraeye(1912)
The museum is open from february to december 15th, tuesday to saturday 13:30-17:00.
The building was made in 1903 as a firebrigade- house. But also served as assembly house for the vigilante. Therefor it got its name as arsenal.
Designed by Desire Denys and his son Hilaire.
On top is a cast-iron statue of st Michael.
Today it houses the national cycling museum.
St Peter + Paul church
In Rumbeke they had some difficulty to choose which saint they should name their church after. The result is the church is called 'St Peterus en Paulus kerk'.
The tower of the church was destroyed by dynamite in 1918 (first world war) and wrecked the church with its fall. The church is restored in Ieper style in 1924.
Inside are the graves of Jacob de Thiennes (†1534), and his wife Katharina van Oignies (†1545), owners and founders of castle Rumbeke.
In the old ice room of the castle Rumbeke now live some bats.
An iceroom was an early refridgerator. In winter it was filled with iceblocks. Isolated by the sand on top it kept cool. In summer it was used as a cool storage space.
Today it is no longer in use as such and is rebuilt as a batrefuge. There are spaces above the door through wich the bats can go in and out.
The only green piece in Roeselare is the Sterrebos (star forrest). In the picture you can see where it got its name from: a star formed center.
Tom is taking the picture and Filip is giving instructions.
The Sterrebos is developped in 1770 and is located behind castle Rumbeke. It belongs to the castle, but is open to the public.
This building is an example of Flanders renaissance. It is also called Kaasterkasteel. It was built around 1538 by Thomas de Thiennes and his wife Margareta d'Harméricourt.
The chapel, the sixsided tower, the central L-shaped building and the two little headless towers date back to that time. The four towers at the south side date to the 17th century. The gates date back to 1731.
The family Thiennes owned the castle untill 1856. From then the castle and the forrest ( Sterrebos) next to it belong to the Limburg-Stirum family. It is privately owned and not open to the public.
Baljuwhuis (bailiff house)
This house was built in 1617 by brewer Pieter Goudenhooft, bailiff in Roeselare.
The renaissance chimney is extraordinairy.
A bailiff was a sort of judge representing the castle owner in that area.
- Save money, Book now!
- Booking.com Excellent choice, Low rates
- Great room rates