Wingene Travel Guide

• This team (KAJ Wingene) came in third in 2002
    This team (KAJ Wingene) came in third in...
  • Wingene
    by Groentje
  • KAJ making movies for the folks back home
    KAJ making movies for the folks back...

Wingene Things to Do

• Groentje's Profile Photo
    KAJ making movies for the folks back home

by Groentje Updated Apr 4, 2011

Not as glamourous as Cannes, or the Academy Awards Ceremony, but a very well organised event aimed at youth inside and around Wingene. The Kortfilmfestival is a festival for short cuts, with a length of usually around 8 minutes. Each movie can win a "Mutse" (as meaningful as an Oscar) in some categories, such as Best Actor, Best Actress, Best Directing, Best Story, Best Movie voted by the jury, Best Movie voted by the audience. The jury is comprised of professionals from the (local) movie industry. This year about 10 movies entered the contest, one of which was a movie made by the KAJ 20+. We got four nominations (and are very proud of that), but didn't win anything, unfortunately. Better luck next time!

Me and my mom

by Groentje Written Aug 11, 2003

Well, when I'm in Wingene, I simply have to see my parents! They still live in Wingene, and have done so practically all of their (long) lives. They're quite known in Wingene, especially my mother, as she's, well, kind of exuberant, social, funny, i.e. a true gem!
    As you can see in the picture she's also a fan of the best team in Belgium, i.e. Club Brugge K.V.
    The picture was taken at the Extra Time, after the first game of this season against KRC Genk.

• Wingene Hotels

0 Hotels in Wingene

Wingene Shopping

by Groentje Written Jul 3, 2003

They have gone wild in Wingene! Some big department stores have decided to build some, euhm, department stores in Central Wingene (aka Wingene City). Shops such as Aldi, Colruyt and GB, to name just a few, have decided to start a Wingene-branch.
    If this isn't great news, then nothing is!
    (If you ask me, though, I don't see why they will need so many stores, but who cares!)

What to buy: You can buy ANYthing in these stores!

What to pay: You can spend ANYthing in these stores!

Wingene Sports & Outdoors

Winners of 2003 AND 2004

by Groentje Written Apr 6, 2004

Yes, you read it right: we have won the Stokbaltornooi again! This splendid tournament organised by a youth movement called "Chiro" of Wingene takes place every year on the day of the "Ronde van Vlaanderen", another major sporting event here in Flanders (cyclist's race). Our team snatched the trophy for the third time now, so we can keep the cup!
    Aaaaaaah, feels good to be the best :-)
    Okay,maybe we were a teeeeeeeeny bit lucky in the Finals, but hey, winners turn luck their way!

Equipment: It's best to wear good sports shoes, and have a bat made out of newspapers. No plastics or other fabric should be put in the sticks!!

This team (KAJ Wingene) came in third in 2002

by Groentje Updated Jul 3, 2003

For an afternoon of good fun, come to our Stokbaltournament. This new game (translated it would be stick ball) is organised by the Chiro in Wingene and is a bit similar to polo and hockey, but, well, it's different! The Chiro always creates a nice ambiance around the fields, and there are different side activities as well. Last year you could gamble as well, by guessing which food a donkey would eat first (you'll have to see it to understand it, I'm afraid).

Equipment: Best thing is to ask the KAJ or the Chiro to make sticks for you; they are made of newspapers, rubber bands and cellotape.
    Every team consists of 5 or six players (I can't remember), and the idea is to wack the ball into the opponent's goal (which is the size of a handball goal). Of course a lot of skill, stamina and eye for detail is requested.
    Please note that we (KAJ Wingene) won the last tournament in 2003!!
    Oh yes, we are the reigning Champions!

Our group in Vielsalm

by Groentje Written Jul 3, 2003

Voetbal, Dutch for soccer/football, is quite popular in Belgium, and Wingene is no exception to the rest of our peaceful country. We used to have two amateur soccer teams and a couple of "Caféploegen", which can easily be translated into "pub teams". I believe I have joined the best of these teams, namely "the Blue Stars". We actually rule, you know!
    Last year we reached the semi finals of the Cup and came in fourth place, one of our best ratings ever. The group is very solid, and you can make a lot of friends. Each year we go to the Ardennes to have ourselves a bit of a sporty and roudy weekend.
    By the way, if anyone knows some good players, who are willing to play for one bonneke: please let me know!

Equipment: The only equipment we need is football shoes, football jerseys, skeelappen and one very good ball.
    After the game, we might have a drink or two (times 5), so you might add that to the necessary equipment as well. The best place to get this is in D'Hoeve, our local pub where we meet before and after the game.

Instant Answers: Wingene

Comments

Wingene Travel Guide
Map of Wingene