Cinquantenaire & museums, Brussels

Parc du Cinquantenaire

Know about this? Rate It!

Army museum - Howitzer 150 mm Krupp 1913
    by breughel
    Army museum - Salle historique.
    Army museum - Tank Mark IV 1917
  • breughel's Profile Photo

ONE OF BEST MILITARY MUSEUMS IN EUROPE.

by breughel Updated Aug 6, 2011

Army museum - Howitzer 150 mm Krupp 1913

Favorite thing: Brussels has one of the best military museums in Europe.

As I was born just before WW II in a country which was twice in the centre of the cyclone I learned already as a child what war looks like. Having heard the sound of V1 flying over Brussels or the roaring squadrons of Flying Fortresses high in the sky I wanted to know more about that war and I became interested in the military history which marked my childhood.
    The Army Museum in Brussels was the first one I visited and I must say that from the numerous large or small military museums I visited it is now, after expansion and renovation works, one of the top WW I and WW II museums in Europe.

Here is my list of what I consider as the best museums; I visited most of them several times. I did not visit Russia so that the Moscow Armed Forces museum is not on my list but I presume it is worthwhile a visit.

World War I and II museums:

Army Museum - Musée de l'Armée, Brussels.
    Imperial War Museum, London.
    Invalides - Musée de l'Armée, Paris.
    Heeresgeschichtliches Museum - Austrian Army Museum, Vienna

Medieval and Modern Times:

Invalides - Musée de l'Armée, Paris.
    Hofjagd- und Rüstkammer - Collection of Arms and Armour, Vienna
    Heeresgeschichtliche Museum - Austrian Army Museum, Vienna
    Museo del Ejercito - Army Museum, Madrid/Toledo.

Apart of these large museums there are numerous local museums and memorials.
    The "In Flanders Fields museum", Ieper/Ypres is one of the most remarkable I visited about WW I.

• Museum Visits

• chancay's Profile Photo

Park Cinquantenaire

by chancay Updated Mar 3, 2003

Park Cinquantenaire

Favorite thing: In the building you can see in the background of the fotos are three museums, a weappon museum, a Automobile museum and a museum of arts and history. These beautiful Arcades were constructed in the year 1880 because of 50 years of belgic kingdom.

Fondest memory: The building seems quite similar to the Berlin Brandenburger Tor.

• Castles and Palaces

• Samarina's Profile Photo

Address: Royal Museum of the...

by Samarina Written Sep 7, 2002

Favorite thing: Address: Royal Museum of the Army and Military History
    Parc du Cinquantenaire,3
    1000 brussels
    Open: daily from Tuesday to Sunday from 9a.m. noon and from 1 to 4.45p.m.The Air section and the cafeteria stay open throughout the lunch hour.

Closed: every Monday and on 1 January, 1 May , 1 November, 25 December and election days.

• JUNLI's Profile Photo

the Triumphal Arch of the...

by JUNLI Written Aug 25, 2002

Favorite thing: the Triumphal Arch of the Cinquantenaire

Fondest memory:

• The Cinquantenaire is a large...

by Pegasus74 Written Aug 25, 2002

Favorite thing: The Cinquantenaire is a large museum conglomerate - art, history, military and motor vehicles, accessible from the Schuman Metro station. It was created in 1880 as part of the celebrations marking the 50th anniversary (as the name indicates) of Belgian independence. The spectacular Triumphal Arch, topped with a four-horse chariot, is visible from a distance and forms a beautiful backdrop on a picture.

• Krystynn's Profile Photo

check out the ultra-cool...

by Krystynn Written Aug 24, 2002

Favorite thing: check out the ultra-cool Autoworld Museum. I guarantee you'll be left spellbound by the presence of all these old-timer cars! I know I was.

Instant Answers: Brussels