Related Brussels Favorites Tips

Most Viewed Favorites in Brussels

• arturowan's Profile Photo

Art Nouveau Brussels...

by arturowan Updated Nov 29, 2014

Favorite thing: Brussels is a city with bi-polar architecture - extremes, with not much in between...
    The old city is a paradise of Art Nouveau, with many buildings penned by the resident architect; Victor Horta...
    However, during the modernist-revolution, a lot of the Art Nouveau centres were demolished without any sentiment, including so many of the buildings designed by Horta - sacrilege indeed!
    So modern Brussels is a disparate mix of what I consider to be 'French architecture', side-by-side with the slab-sided, concrete monstrosities of MODERNISM...
    Few would argue that the modern high-rises are attractive, & they look all the more out-of-place, in the midst of so much classic Art Nouveau, but that is the nature of the new Brussels...

Fondest memory: 2004
    Brussels was the first place I ever stepped on foreign ground - for that reason it will always be special to me...
    Central Brussels still has cobbled thoroughfares, not pleasant when walking or cycling in the wet, which it often is in this city...
    However, cobbled streets do have a charm about them, & I like to see this city after dark, with the street-lamps reflecting off the wet cobblestones, as might have inspired Van Gogh...
    Every street in the city-centre has a cafe & a beer-bar, with chairs & tables on the pavement - this is an essential characteristic of Brussels, & part of its charm, especially after dark...
    Brussels is a city of relaxed street-life, besides endless traffic congestion, but escape from the hustle & bustle is easy to achieve...

• Ewingjr98's Profile Photo

Delirium Tremens Beer

by Ewingjr98 Updated Apr 14, 2014

Favorite thing: Delirium Tremens, introduced in 1989, is widely hailed as one of the world's finest beers. Tremens is brewed by Belgian beer maker Huyghe Brewery, which was founded in 1906 at the site of a previous brewery that was founded in 1654.

Tremens comes in a 750 ml wine-style bottle painted to look like stone, complete with a foil-wrapped cork in the neck. The beer pours a cloudy golden color with a thin head, it has a rich, sweet flavor of citrus fruits and wheat, and is very strong at 8.5 % ABV.

Website: www.delerium.be
    Address: Brusselse Steenweg 256, Melle, 9090 Belgium

• pieter_jan_v's Profile Photo

TIB - Tourist Information Brussels

by pieter_jan_v Updated Jan 5, 2014

Favorite thing: The Brussels Tourist Information desks are located at:
    Town Hall of Brussels (ground floor)
    Grote Markt/Grand Place - B-1000 Brussels
    Tel: +32-2-5138940

Brussels Info Place (BIP)
    Rue Royale 2 - B-1000 Brussels

Google Map of Brussels
    Brussels events
    Brussels Card
    Traffic cams
    Brussels start page (Dutch)
    Brussels deals (Dutch)

TIB at the Town Hall Brussels Attractions Where to go at Brussels Attraction signpost Attractions in each direction!
    • Hiking and Walking

• Ewingjr98's Profile Photo

Leffe Radieuse Beer

by Ewingjr98 Written Mar 2, 2013

Favorite thing: I was introduced to Leffe when I lived in Germany in the late 1990s, and it has been one of my favorite breweries in the world ever since. Their blonde, brun, and rouge beers have become staples on my beer shelves anytime I can find it. InBev, the largest beer conglomerate in the world, now owns Leffe, but the beers are still good, and it seems their lineup is expanding.

In 2013, I found Leffe Radieuse Beer at a grocery store in Japan. This Belgian Strong Ale has the familiar taste and smell of the other Leffe beers, but is extremely strong at 8.5 percent alcohol. The beer pours a nice amber-brown color, with a thick, foamy head. The smell and flavor are heavy and diverse with n amazing mix of complex flavors.

Not the best beer in the world, but very unique.

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo

Asslan v Haus Schiran in Brussels

by Kuznetsov_Sergey Written Jan 11, 2013

Favorite thing: We got an opportunity to visit Brussels with Irina and our German shepherd Asslan v Haus Schiran in August of 2000.
    It was a trip to the German Shepherd Bundessiegerzuchtschau (SV BSZS) in Bremen where our Asslan v Haus Schiran got his first excellent mark (vorzuglih). It was our second trip to Germany with Asslan and I planned to visit Paris via Brussels on the way back to Moscow from Bremen.

Our visits in many European cities have never happened if our dog Asslan v Haus Schiran and his participating in dog-shows in Germany.

You can watch my 1 min 36 sec Video Asslan v Haus Schiran in Brussels out of my Youtube channel or here on VT.

Asslan v Haus Schiran in Brussels Asslan v Haus Schiran in Brussels Asslan v Haus Schiran in Brussels Asslan v Haus Schiran in Brussels
    • Travel with Pets

Walk Brussels II

by gwened Written Jan 5, 2013

Favorite thing: One of the highlights of my trip is to walk the cities that I visit, Brussels is one of my favorite cities so coming here often on business and pleasure over the years since 1990/ this time took the family and it was superb.

I like to share some of the sights of this wonderful city, first coming in with my parents then girlfriend ,then wife, and then kids....

Fondest memory: walk and do it with family, the best way to see a city.period.

memorial to armored divisions (blind��) blvd adolphe max to pl broekere architecture and history Zenith blvd adolphe max architecture statues blvd adolphe max statues on buildings

walk Brussels I

by gwened Written Jan 5, 2013

Fondest memory: walk and get to know the city ,the people, the beat of a country.

monument to fallen at pl Poelaert street sights and statues and tramways pl louise going on stefania pl louise the tour Noir

have a ride in Brussels with Santa

by gwened Updated Jan 5, 2013

Favorite thing: well weather a ride is by foot or car or how about bikes at Christmas time riding Santa Claus around, great sights and good fun, all seen while walking Brussels

Fondest memory: seeing bikers wearing santa claus garments riding around town...

close up by Rue de l'H��pital the bikers by the royal palace afar by Rue de l'H��pital

Palais de Justice or Justice palace

by gwened Written Jan 4, 2013

Favorite thing: this is the biggest justice palace I have seen in person,and it sits in the biggest plaza in Brussels Place Poelaert , and even bigger than the basilica St Peter at Rome.
    the area is very nice and just to the right of it you can see an eye view of the city below , at night is wonderful the views. There are stores and restos all around this area and easy transport with tram 92 that we took.

By a royal decree in 1860,under the reign of king Léopold Ier, the founding king, the palace was finally completed in 1883 after the death of the king and the architect of the work Joseph Poelaert; it was open by king Léopold II

its an impressive building that was in scaffolds under renovations when we got around it.

Fondest memory: the cheer size and the magnificent views from the pl Poelaert to the city were superb.

the front of palais de justice from pl poelaert up close palais de justice works underway the views to city from pl poelaert the highrise stairs to lower town on pl poelaert mem tothe fallen at pl Poelaert

• Askla's Profile Photo

How to find the objects.

by Askla Written Dec 9, 2012

Favorite thing: I have put links to Google Map in my tips to make it easier to find the objects mentioned, when possible to get the right position. The links are marked in italics. Unfortunately Google Map isn't very precise and too often points to other buildings than the wanted one.

• zadunajska8's Profile Photo

Things to do on Monday in Brussels

by zadunajska8 Written Aug 19, 2012

Favorite thing: Many (or most actually) of the main attractions in Brussels are closed on a Monday and so if you find yourself in Brussels with some hours to spare on a Monday you might wonder what to do with yourself.

Well, I found myself in this situation and I found a few things to do. Mondays are a good time to visit the churches of Brussels such as:

Cathédrale Sts Michel et Gudule
    Eglise Notre-Dame du Sablon
    Eglise St-Jean-Baptiste-au-Béguinage
    and the Basilique du Sacre-Coeur out at Koekelberg.

The Atomium out at Heysel is also open on Mondays.

Back in the city the Musée de la Brasserie is also open on Mondays. All the usual souvenir shops and most of the restaurants, cafes and bars will also be open on a Monday.

The Atomium Basilique du Sacr��-Coeur Cath��drale Sts Michel et Gudule Eglise Notre-Dame du Sablon Eglise St-Jean-Baptiste-au-B��guinage

• LoriPori's Profile Photo

A BIT ABOUT BRUSSELS

by LoriPori Updated Mar 8, 2012

Favorite thing: The city of BRUSSELS is the capital of Belgium and also the largest urban area.
    Brussels has grown from a 10th century fortress town into a metropolis of mora then one million inhabitants.
    Since the end of WWII Brussels has been a main center for internation politics and is the headquarters of the North Atlantic Treaty Organization - NATO.

Brussels is known for its waffles, chocolate (Neuhaus, Leonidas & Godiva) , Belgian Frites ( NOT french fries), and its numerous types of beers.

Wednesday, February 29, 2012
    Hans and I had the opportunity to visit Brussels for the evening as we had a 15 hour layover. IanGrace (kylian74), was kind enough to offer to pick us up at our B & B and take us to the old town of Brussels. IanGrace, along with her Boys - Werner (hubby) and Kyle (son)- showed us a bit of Brussels for the length of time we had. It was evening, so the Grand Place was absolutely beautiful all lit up. We got to see the Town Hall, The King's House, the Guildahalls, Mannekin Pis, Galeries Royales St. Hubert and the Rue de Bouchers. We also had some Belgian Frites and Werner bought me a box of the lovely Godiva Chocolates.
    All in all we had a great time. Thanks again IanGrace, Werner and Kyle. You're the best.

Galeries Royales St. Hubert IanGrace Hans Kyle - Galeries Royales

• LoriPori's Profile Photo

RUE DE BOUCHERS

by LoriPori Written Mar 8, 2012

Favorite thing: With its numerous cafe's and restaurants, offering all types of local and international dishes, RUE DE BOUCHERS is one of the most famous pedestrian streets of Brussels.
    In the medieval ages, this was the street of meat sellers (Bouchers) hence the name Rue de Bouchers.
    As we strolled along this narrow street, we were constantly touted by the restaurants, to come into their place to have dinner. There are so many, it's perhaps the only way to attract customers. Also the cobbled street was not even and had many bricks missing, making it necessary to watch your step the whole time. You would think that such a famous street would make repairs to the bricks. Or maybe it's part of its charm???
    Sorry, I don't have any pictures of it - too busy watching my step. hehe!

• penumbra's Profile Photo

Toot your horn

by penumbra Written Oct 13, 2011

Favorite thing: Called Pasionaria, the large speaking pipe is located on Stalingrad Avenue where it meets Boulevard du Midi. This is about 10 minutes walk North of the Bruxelles Gare du Midi / Brussel-Zuid train station on the West side of the tracks. On several occasions I saw people blow or speak into the horn but the traffic and street noises tended to dampen any sound coming out. If you have a great pair of lungs and are passing by, give it a try and let Brussels know what you’re thinking.

Speaking Pipe

• DAO's Profile Photo

Mannequin Pis and the Flying Dogs !

by DAO Updated Oct 7, 2011

Favorite thing:
    Somehow you are probably not surprised I have a story about flying American dogs and the celebration of a small child urinating in a public square. Yes, my one and only night in Brussels started with drinks in a bar and my tour guide telling me that he would show me and one of my friends a special piece of Brussels history. We were wondering what museum or castle we might see. Instead, after several hefty Belgian beers he took us into a small square and said something like “Wow! Look at that!”.

“That” was Mannequin Pis. A small bronze depiction of a little boy with his winky out and peeing. Why they thought this was so great in 1388 mystifies me to this day.

So, underwhelmed and not yet unsteady on our feet we invited our (now much less respected) guide to follow us into the nearest bar where we could here music. As we entered I heard an American voice introduce themselves over the microphone. “We are the Flying Dogs! Well that’s La Chienne Avion (French) to you!” And the band began to wail out some serious rock n' roll.

So now the gap in my French ‘vocabulaire’ was complete and we enjoyed proper Belgian history, culture and beer manufacturing so much that I don’t remember the rest.

Brussels Hotels

Great (4.0 out of 5.0) 16 Reviews
Hotel Sabina
Good (3.0 out of 5.0) 1 Review

Instant Answers: Brussels

Comments

Brussels Favorites

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Brussels locals.
Map of Brussels