Related Brussels Favorites Tips

Most Viewed Favorites in Brussels

• gwened's Profile Photo

have a ride in Brussels with Santa

by gwened Updated Jan 5, 2013

Favorite thing: well weather a ride is by foot or car or how about bikes at Christmas time riding Santa Claus around, great sights and good fun, all seen while walking Brussels

Fondest memory: seeing bikers wearing santa claus garments riding around town...

close up by Rue de l'H��pital the bikers by the royal palace afar by Rue de l'H��pital

• gwened's Profile Photo

Palais de Justice or Justice palace

by gwened Written Jan 4, 2013

Favorite thing: this is the biggest justice palace I have seen in person,and it sits in the biggest plaza in Brussels Place Poelaert , and even bigger than the basilica St Peter at Rome.
    the area is very nice and just to the right of it you can see an eye view of the city below , at night is wonderful the views. There are stores and restos all around this area and easy transport with tram 92 that we took.

By a royal decree in 1860,under the reign of king Léopold Ier, the founding king, the palace was finally completed in 1883 after the death of the king and the architect of the work Joseph Poelaert; it was open by king Léopold II

its an impressive building that was in scaffolds under renovations when we got around it.

Fondest memory: the cheer size and the magnificent views from the pl Poelaert to the city were superb.

the front of palais de justice from pl poelaert up close palais de justice works underway the views to city from pl poelaert the highrise stairs to lower town on pl poelaert mem tothe fallen at pl Poelaert
    • Architecture

• Askla's Profile Photo

How to find the objects.

by Askla Written Dec 9, 2012

Favorite thing: I have put links to Google Map in my tips to make it easier to find the objects mentioned, when possible to get the right position. The links are marked in italics. Unfortunately Google Map isn't very precise and too often points to other buildings than the wanted one.

• zadunajska8's Profile Photo

Things to do on Monday in Brussels

by zadunajska8 Written Aug 19, 2012

Favorite thing: Many (or most actually) of the main attractions in Brussels are closed on a Monday and so if you find yourself in Brussels with some hours to spare on a Monday you might wonder what to do with yourself.

Well, I found myself in this situation and I found a few things to do. Mondays are a good time to visit the churches of Brussels such as:

Cathédrale Sts Michel et Gudule
    Eglise Notre-Dame du Sablon
    Eglise St-Jean-Baptiste-au-Béguinage
    and the Basilique du Sacre-Coeur out at Koekelberg.

The Atomium out at Heysel is also open on Mondays.

Back in the city the Musée de la Brasserie is also open on Mondays. All the usual souvenir shops and most of the restaurants, cafes and bars will also be open on a Monday.

The Atomium Basilique du Sacr��-Coeur Cath��drale Sts Michel et Gudule Eglise Notre-Dame du Sablon Eglise St-Jean-Baptiste-au-B��guinage

• LoriPori's Profile Photo

A BIT ABOUT BRUSSELS

by LoriPori Updated Mar 8, 2012

Favorite thing: The city of BRUSSELS is the capital of Belgium and also the largest urban area.
    Brussels has grown from a 10th century fortress town into a metropolis of mora then one million inhabitants.
    Since the end of WWII Brussels has been a main center for internation politics and is the headquarters of the North Atlantic Treaty Organization - NATO.

Brussels is known for its waffles, chocolate (Neuhaus, Leonidas & Godiva) , Belgian Frites ( NOT french fries), and its numerous types of beers.

Wednesday, February 29, 2012
    Hans and I had the opportunity to visit Brussels for the evening as we had a 15 hour layover. IanGrace (kylian74), was kind enough to offer to pick us up at our B & B and take us to the old town of Brussels. IanGrace, along with her Boys - Werner (hubby) and Kyle (son)- showed us a bit of Brussels for the length of time we had. It was evening, so the Grand Place was absolutely beautiful all lit up. We got to see the Town Hall, The King's House, the Guildahalls, Mannekin Pis, Galeries Royales St. Hubert and the Rue de Bouchers. We also had some Belgian Frites and Werner bought me a box of the lovely Godiva Chocolates.
    All in all we had a great time. Thanks again IanGrace, Werner and Kyle. You're the best.

Galeries Royales St. Hubert IanGrace Hans Kyle - Galeries Royales

• LoriPori's Profile Photo

RUE DE BOUCHERS

by LoriPori Written Mar 8, 2012

Favorite thing: With its numerous cafe's and restaurants, offering all types of local and international dishes, RUE DE BOUCHERS is one of the most famous pedestrian streets of Brussels.
    In the medieval ages, this was the street of meat sellers (Bouchers) hence the name Rue de Bouchers.
    As we strolled along this narrow street, we were constantly touted by the restaurants, to come into their place to have dinner. There are so many, it's perhaps the only way to attract customers. Also the cobbled street was not even and had many bricks missing, making it necessary to watch your step the whole time. You would think that such a famous street would make repairs to the bricks. Or maybe it's part of its charm???
    Sorry, I don't have any pictures of it - too busy watching my step. hehe!

• penumbra's Profile Photo

Toot your horn

by penumbra Written Oct 13, 2011

Favorite thing: Called Pasionaria, the large speaking pipe is located on Stalingrad Avenue where it meets Boulevard du Midi. This is about 10 minutes walk North of the Bruxelles Gare du Midi / Brussel-Zuid train station on the West side of the tracks. On several occasions I saw people blow or speak into the horn but the traffic and street noises tended to dampen any sound coming out. If you have a great pair of lungs and are passing by, give it a try and let Brussels know what you’re thinking.

Speaking Pipe

• DAO's Profile Photo

Mannequin Pis and the Flying Dogs !

by DAO Updated Oct 7, 2011

Favorite thing:
    Somehow you are probably not surprised I have a story about flying American dogs and the celebration of a small child urinating in a public square. Yes, my one and only night in Brussels started with drinks in a bar and my tour guide telling me that he would show me and one of my friends a special piece of Brussels history. We were wondering what museum or castle we might see. Instead, after several hefty Belgian beers he took us into a small square and said something like “Wow! Look at that!”.

“That” was Mannequin Pis. A small bronze depiction of a little boy with his winky out and peeing. Why they thought this was so great in 1388 mystifies me to this day.

So, underwhelmed and not yet unsteady on our feet we invited our (now much less respected) guide to follow us into the nearest bar where we could here music. As we entered I heard an American voice introduce themselves over the microphone. “We are the Flying Dogs! Well that’s La Chienne Avion (French) to you!” And the band began to wail out some serious rock n' roll.

So now the gap in my French ‘vocabulaire’ was complete and we enjoyed proper Belgian history, culture and beer manufacturing so much that I don’t remember the rest.

• breughel's Profile Photo

Vive la Révolution!

by breughel Written Aug 4, 2011

Favorite thing: Sometimes I wonder why there are moments in my life where I hate everything that is compulsory (on VT the pros, cons & nutshell for example). I'm sure that I have revolutionaries among my ancestors.
    How should I otherwise explain that for me the best moment of the history of Belgium is the revolution of 1830 against the Dutch power.

The congress of Vienna in 1815, after the defeat of France, unified, without consultation of the populations, the Belgian territories to those of Netherlands with at the head Willem I of Oranje
    This forced marriage was bound to fail because of incompatibility. There were problems of language, religion, domination of the Dutch people on the state administration and the absolutist tendencies of King Willem I.
    It is during the summer of 1830 that the dissatisfaction of the Belgian working class, the catholic bourgeoisie, the liberal bourgeoisie lead to their alliance and to the upraise in front of the refusal of king Willem I to accede to their demands.
    The sending of Dutch troops to Brussels provoked the outburst.
    In Brussels the "garde bourgeoise" took the weapons. Volunteers streamed from all parts of Belgium to support the uprising in a big patriotic surge. This "garde bourgeoise" is well armed, contained numerous experienced servicemen who fought with the armies of Napoleon. They forced the Dutch troops to retire.
    So began our independence with at first a temporary government, the elaboration of a constitution, the choice of Leopold de Saxe-Coburg-Gotha as first king in 1831 under a parliamentary monarchy regime.
    I would have liked to participate to this revolution because it began on an opera aria of the French composer Auber: "La Muette de Portici" exalting the patriotism. It is on the air " Amour sacré de la patrie " that the uprising began in Brussels.
    A revolution beginning on an opera aria is rather original in the history of nations.
    The Belgian revolution of 1830, although there were approximately 500 deaths among the patriots, was much less bloodthirsty than the French revolution of 1789. King Willem I was not beheaded; the Belgians had no guillotine!

May be you understand now why as a genuine Brusseleir I am a rebel.

Belgian Revolution 1830.

• Crazywoman's Profile Photo

Road signs for tourists

by Crazywoman Updated May 29, 2010

Favorite thing: When walking around in Brussels you can see signs like the one in my picture here and there. They show the directions to the nearby tourist attractions. Unfortunately the distances to the attractions were missing, but they were still helping me when I got confused in the streets around Grand Place.

• marielexoteria's Profile Photo

Street art(ists)

by marielexoteria Written Mar 16, 2010

Favorite thing: In front of Galeries Royales de St. Hubert we saw 3 street artists. The first one was someone playing with a hula hoop and the second and third ones were playing an instrument/singing. Of the 3, the third one was the most entertaining, singing songs by Eric Clapton and other known artists.

Not too far from there, on Rue au Marché aux Herbs, I found an AIDS awareness mural that says the following text:
    "Time goes by, but not AIDS. I get informed, I protect myself, I am solidary."

AIDS awareness mural Hula hoop artist Another street artist The best of them all
    • Music

A Little Wierdness Of Language

by johngayton Written Oct 4, 2009

Favorite thing: Belgium has two main official languages (and a host of lesser ones including Walloon) these being Flemish (or Dutch) and French. I've heard, perhaps apocryphal, stories about Flemish speakers refusing to speak French even though they are bilingual (and vice versa).

It was quite wierd getting the train from Adinkerke back into Brussels as the train's in-carriage signage was wholly in Flemish until it passed Gand St Pierre when the display became bilingual. So maybe if the train is pretending not to be bilingual until having passed Gent the stories are actually true??

In Flemish In French

If You've Got A Bit Of Time Between Trains At Midi

by johngayton Written Oct 1, 2009

Favorite thing: ...these bars are worth popping into!

There's a little row of modern terraced bars on the plaza outside the Eurostar arrivals at Midi station. If you are heading elsewhere by train or bus and have a bit of time between connections then drop by. You'll find prices very reasonable (1.50 Euro for a coffee, less than 3 Euro for a beer), service friendly and ashtrays on the tables inside and out!!

They also serve what looks like OK food, and once again at reasonable prices.

A small warning though - if you are tight timewise for your connections order at the bar!

Bars at Midi Railway Station
    • Beer Tasting

Left Luggage at Midi Station

by johngayton Written Oct 1, 2009

Favorite thing: Roughly in the centre of the main concourse, where the ING bank thing is and just round the corner from the International departures area for Eurostar and the Thalys reception, you'll find both manned and automatic left luggage facilities. These are available 24 hours a day with a small locker costing 3 Euros per day whilst the manned office charges 3.80 per item regardless of size.

Friendly guys in the manned office but note that they won't give you change for the lockers.

Left Luggage Location at Midi

Phone Calls and Internet Connection

by johngayton Written Oct 1, 2009

Favorite thing: During my last trip I had to make a couple of work calls back to the UK and had initially intended using a payphone. I was at Midi railway station and the public phones there all seemed to be card-only, rather than cash. Then I noticed this place which is located on the concourse beside the exit to where the underpass bus stops are.

Friendly helpful guy, asked whether I wanted internet or phone, and telling him phone said to use any one and pay afterwards. My four calls of about three minutes each came to a total of 1.50 Euro which actually worked out cheaper than if I'd been making the same calls on a public payphone here in the UK. I even got a receipt!

So if you are around Midi and need to use a phone or the internet, search it out.

Concepts Telecom at Midi Station

Very Good (3.5 out of 5.0) 2 Reviews
Saint Nicolas Hotel
Very Good (3.5 out of 5.0) 2 Reviews

Instant Answers: Brussels

Comments

Brussels Favorites

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Brussels locals.
Map of Brussels