Palais de Justice, Brussels

Near Place Louise

Know about this? Rate It!

Palais de Justice
    by Mikebb
    The Fabulous Dome - Palais De Justice.
    The Brilliant Dome Palais de Justice
  • Mikebb's Profile Photo

Palais de Justice - Highlights The Skyline

by Mikebb Written Jan 27, 2009

The Fabulous Dome - Palais De Justice.

Favorite thing: On our Hop On Hop Off Bus Tour we saw the dome of this building standing out above all long before we reached it. The dome had been renovated and the bright gold stood out and made us want to be up close.

We later returned to the Upper Town and again visited the Palais, indeed a building you must see when visiting Brussels.

King Leopold 2 was responsible for the construction of this huge building during the period 1866 to 1883. The Palais de Justice is still home to the city's law courts.

Catch the Metro Train to station Louise or bus 34, tram 91,92,93,94.

• Norali's Profile Photo

This is Brussels!

by Norali Updated Feb 22, 2007

Brussels' Palais de justice

Favorite thing: A city packed with great, ancient architectures.. either impressive, either cute...

On the picture, the Palais de Justice dans toute sa splendeur. The picture was taken by irisbe during a hot summer. Looking at it, it may have been one of unusual perspectives on the building.

Fondest memory: An argue with a friend who is an architect. I used to say when passing near the Palais de justice that it reminded me of the hugeness of Indian palaces... The argue used to start there because he couldn't help but shouting "No, it is a Greek inspired architecture". I knew that and I knew too he was going to insist on its "resemblance" with Greek palaces. So, it's always nice to say such things in front of purists... pretty fun!

Prolly my favourite of the biggest buildings in Brussels... big, impressive yet beautiful... I like it! For me, this is even nicer than Palais Royal. Check pic 2

• Castles and Palaces

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo

The biggest buiding of 19th c.

by matcrazy1 Updated Jan 31, 2004

BACK  ENTRANCE  TO  PALACE  OF  JUSTICE

Favorite thing: It's said that the Palace of Justice was the biggest building constructed in 19th century. I don't know but believe it was real huge, huge edificie. I took my first picture in Brussels just there - at one of back (smaller ones) entrances to the building.

The building was 105 m (344 ft) high, hmm... it's approx. 35 stores in contemporary buildings. To be honest I didn't like it's style (eclectic with a lot of neo-classic I could say) but, anyway, it was interesting to see it.

• Hiking and Walking

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo

Palace de Justice

by matcrazy1 Updated Dec 22, 2003

PALACE  OF  JUSTICE

Favorite thing: I was driving looong time around Brussels trying to find any (hmm... free - it was necessary with my loooow budget) parking lot and finally I found it at the back of a huge edificie. It was the Palace of Justice which was situated on top of a hill called "gallows hill" in the Middle Ages.

First I tried to find out any restroom/toilet but I couldn't. The building houses the supreme court of law for Belgium and was closed for visitors without special permissions (security) . Luckily there was a restaurant nearby.

• Hiking and Walking

• Ronald_T's Profile Photo

visit the Court of...

by Ronald_T Written Sep 12, 2002

Favorite thing: visit the Court of Justice.

The Court of Justice is the most colossal building in Europe, with its surface area of 26 000 m².
    The stairs are leading to a gate in bronze, a project of architect Van Mansfeld. That gate
    gives access to the front hall, which has a surface area of 3.600m².
    In the building are 20 audience halls, and 245 other halls, rooms, and smaller chambers. The dome of the monument elevates itself to 103 meters above the square.
    This project was in hands of architect Benoït.
    On all of the four corners of the building you can find statues, which presents justice, mercy, authority and the law.
    The architectural design was from Poelaert. He started his project in 1866 and on October 15th 1883 it was inaugurated, overloaded with criticism, but admired by everyone.

Instant Answers: Brussels