Nightclubs and bars in Brussels

by Roadquill
    by Gyppo

Most Viewed Nightlife in Brussels

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo

Bier Circus: more beer than a barrel of monkeys

by richiecdisc Updated Mar 10, 2007

Bier Circus has changed locations since my first visit and has lost a bit of its atmosphere in favor of now having a full restaurant in front of what seems a cramped and not overly cozy pub. Still, the night we were there it was bustling and fun, and certainly not full of tourists. We had an assorted cheese platter which featured a great selection but unfortunately was so small it deterred us from eating dinner there! Still, the beer menu was fantastic, one of the best in Belgium. I had spent two days looking for beers in Ghent and Bruges, only to find them easily on their extensive list. I had the excellent t Hofbrouwerijke Bospotter which drank all too easily for its 8.5% alcohol content with a marvelous hop bitterness. Reinaert Grand Cru kept us busy until I found De Dolle Brouwers Extra Export Stout, a black wonder with tan head which had a huge dried fruit profile mixed with chicory/chocolate bitterness. It had a very slightly dry bittersweet finish. We finished up with De Cam’s tart cherry treat, Oude Kriek which managed to be dry and refreshing all in one go. A truly unfiltered beauty. As you can imagine we were having a grand time by this point and there was a group of Portuguese expats enjoying themselves so we exchanged some stories and they snapped our photo for posterity.

Delirium: Delirious # of Beers

by richiecdisc Updated Mar 10, 2007

2000 Beers. That’s right and not a misprint. This place has 2000 different beers! With that many choices they HAVE to have some good ones, and they do. It was packed to the gills with what in the old USA would be underage drinkers. Here they were just drunk teenagers who luckily didn’t have enough money to drink as much as they undoubtedly would have tried to. Good thing I didn’t have that problem myself as I made my way hastily through an extensive and surprisingly good beer menu. They also had a great selection of cheese which despite our kebabs on the way over I decided we just HAD to dry. Perhaps the most amazing thing was the barman, who miraculously managed to sling beers to the kiddies while treating beer snobs like myself like royalty, always having the right glass and delving into his cellar to find one rare bottle after another. This was one of the few times in Europe I tipped like I was bona fide American Tourist. He was THAT good, knew it, and still managed not to show it…well, at least not in a condescending way.

Dress Code: You could probably wear a toga and get away with it in this place!

Delirium part II: Delirious Details

by richiecdisc Updated Mar 10, 2007

Anyway, the details: Cuqui had the Floris Chocolat, Doreen the Saison Dupont, and I finally found the De Ryck Christmas. I was a bit embarrassed to order the girly choco beer but must admit the Christmas beer was a disappointing pumpkin pie affair that was too sweet and had me scurrying quickly for Doreen’s dry saison. All the beers were quite reasonably priced around 3 Euros. The Rochefort cheese plate was 10 Euros but so massive we couldn’t possibly finish it. I’m sure the kiddies descended on it like a pack of vultures after we left. Since we’d been drinking all day, had just come from Bier Circus, had a local that was working the next day in tow, and perhaps most importantly had a train to catch the next day, my voice of reason (read wife) told me one more and we call it a night. Of course, my other voice of reason (read selfish self) ordered a 750 ml bottle of Achel Bruin which I managed to finish despite piddling help from my comrades. Oh, Doreen claims she drank it all which might explain why it took so long to get back to our B & B that night. ;)

• belgianchocolate's Profile Photo

Chez moeder Lambic: Do you like beers , tried Lambic?

by belgianchocolate Updated Apr 17, 2004

'Lambic' is a non-malted wheat beer
    - a beer naturally fermented by contamination
    of wort by airborne yeasts.

This is a little caffee behing the town hall
    in 'Sint-Gillis' One of the parts
    of big Brussels. Why do I mention this
    place? Easy it has got 700 beers to try.
    (some say 700 , some 400...
    Belgianchocolate did see a lot of beers
    but forgot to count them. )
    I recommend not to try them all at ones. ;-)

• Bigjones's Profile Photo

La Tentation: Salsa on Sundays and more the other days ...

by Bigjones Written Mar 18, 2004

This beautiful and spacious Art Nouveau building is the perfect place to dance salsa on Sundays from 6 pm to .... (entrance fee : 6 euros, one free cocktail if you arrive before 8 pm). A lot of space, good music and good dancers.
    But "La Tentation" is more than just a salsa place. It also houses the center for traditional music and dance. They organize dance and music classes (check the website for the program), exhibitions, concerts, and all kinds of other events.
    "La Tentation" is also a Spanish restaurant (never tried it yet ...) and a cafe where you can just have a drink while admiring the architecture.

• GillianMcLaughlin's Profile Photo

Why not have a change from the bars and clubs?: A night at the Opera

by GillianMcLaughlin Updated Feb 20, 2004

The Opera in Brussels is a fine tribute to the city's investment in arts and culture. The company can attract some of the world's finest performers, choreographers, set designers and conductors to work with the highly competent team based in Brussels. The programme is always varied: the 2003-2004 season offers performances as varied as Don Giovanni and The Woman who Walked through Doors.

It may not be Covent Garden or La Scala, but it certainly ranks as a fine European Opera house.

Dress Code: La Monnaie is nowhere near as stuffy as its sister opera houses across Europe. I often used to get invited at the last minute to take the placeof season ticket holders who could not use their places... I've been there seriousy dressed down, and mingled with those who were seriously dressed up! That is just fine. In fact, the cheapest tickets in the house cost ony 9 euro, and students are often admitted at the last minute free of charge.

The other wonderful thing about this opera house is that you will notice, just before the lights go down, lots of people hanging around the doors of the stalls. They are waiting to take any empty seats among the best, and this too is fine! Latecomers beware!

• Theater Travel

• melissa_bel's Profile Photo

Zebra, Roi des Belges and Mappa Mundo: Hip bars trio

by melissa_bel Updated Feb 5, 2006

The one that started the hype around Place St-Gery, the first gem of designer and entrepreneur Fred Nicolay. It’s cozy and warm, it has one of the best terrace in town and its small menu is good.

Just next to it is the Roi des Belges, paying tribute to the Belgian Monarchy, an old-fashion looking Belgian café but don’t be fooled, it’s another popular bar. The upstairs part is particularly funky-looking, throwing you back to the 60's-70's and is sort of the "lounge" part of the bar (you'll see more cocktails than beer) and during the week-end, a DJ is taking control.

The third of Nicolay’s, and perhaps the more extravagant, is the Mappa mundo, a cross-over between an Irish pub, Arabic bazaar and seamen tavern, the Mappa is huge, noisy, glitzy and has a list of beer coming from all over the world!

Dress Code: No dress code really... although fashionistas are all around.

• Study Abroad
    • School Holidays

• belgianchocolate's Profile Photo

L'amour fou.: A very nice resto-bar-tabac

by belgianchocolate Updated Apr 12, 2004

We decided to have a late drink...
    But where? Finding a nice place isn't that
    easy. We just had been in the matong? area.
    Feeling cold (it can be cold in April)..
    A coffee would be nice. When we saw
    'L'amour fou' we knew this was the place.
    The interior is lager , spacious ,
    I wondered what it was before.

L'amour fou is open every day since 1984.
    They bring you quit a large menu and I
    immediately forgot about the coffee.
    'coctails' with names like
    'Je t'aime mois non plus (ce?pirinha)'
    'Tendre passion' (pina colada)
    Sans alcool et 'criminel zat'. lol.
    For those who understand. (price 4,70-7,50)

In the back there are even seats , very comfi.
    Going to the toilets is quit funny , I felt like
    nemo. You step down in an underwater world.
    The people we were sitting next to even
    ordered dinner. (over 22h)It looked fine.
    'Lasagne , spaghetti , sandwich...salades'
    But they also got some real classic Belgian
    dishes on the menu.
    Even the desserts were looking inviting. :-)

A very nice spot...for an tiresome day blowout.

The Pullman bar: Champagnebar

by belgianchocolate Updated Apr 22, 2004

Do you like champagne?
    The 'pullman bar' is part of the Astoria hotel
    and houses a champagne bar.
    If you like this fluid it is the most perfect decor
    enjoy you 'coupe'.
    For a long time this has been the only
    'champagne bar' in Belgium.

Oh , did I mention they got 40 sorts of champagne?

Dress Code: Guess?

• irisbe's Profile Photo

Brussels Opera at Place de Monnaie: At night or a matinee: the Opera !

by irisbe Updated Oct 29, 2004

The Munt as we know it today is not the same building where it all started.
    On this spot there used to be the “Herberge van Oistervant” where money coins were made, in Flemish those are called “munt”, hence the name.
    In 1700 the last governor of Spain had a theatre built here for opera, theatre and ballet performances.
    When Napoleon invaded our region this building was almost turned into a ruin because of lack of maintenance. He ordered it should be restored on costs of the city of Brussels. Architect who designed this renewed building that got inaugurated in 1819, was the French architect Louis Damesme.
    After Napoleon’s defeat at Waterloo, Willem I of Oranje, a Dutch king, succeeded him.
    For a wile he forbid any play to be performed. In 1830 he allowed for the first time “La Muette de Portici” to be performed.
    It is told now that this performance had a huge contribution to the fight for independence of Belgium. It was said that after the play people rushed on the street to protest and were confronted with the army at the Martelarenplein (Martyr’s square).
    A fire in 1855 destroyed the whole building and it was, don’t be surprised!, our infamous architect Joseph Poelaert (again!) who was assigned to build a new one.
    In 1963 this opera was announced to be the National Opera of Belgium.
    A couple of more restaurations and enlargements were made in the 80ties and 90ties.

Panoramic picture! Click on it to enjoy the full view!

Dress Code: Nowadays you don't need to dress up like it was done not even such a long time ago.
    Just dress clean and even jeans might be allowed.

• Music
    • Luxury Travel
    • Architecture

• Norali's Profile Photo

+++ several names +++: Cheaper perf shows, thanks to Arsene50

by Norali Updated Mar 19, 2004

One uses to say that culture is pricey. I would say “not always” since I discovered this website.

Arsène50 is a last minute services for performance shows, plays, concerts, festivals... many types of events.
    You would be able to buy tickets at –50% (half the price)

I’ve never used it but seems interesting. To be honest, I was never tempted to attend a perf show, for them being a bit pricey. Plus, I am more of museum freak. Now, I don’t have any excuse.

So far, website is in French and Dutch. When in, choose the language between Fr and Nl

Then on Offre du jour or Aanbod van de dag to see the offer of the day (details of the shows, locations..). In the website, they say that the offer of a given day is online the eve (6 pm) of this day. That would be better to check before, no?.

To buy the ticket, you have to go to the entry hall of Bruxelles en scène (Tuesday- Saturday: 12.30 – 16.30). Cash, Bancontact, Proton, Visa, Eurocard, Mastercard accepted.
    There, you would be given a voucher that you have to present at latest 30 minutes before the show begins. That’s the condition to have a reduced price (+1 euro of commission).

Now, if you just go to Bruxelles en scène without anything in mind, sales people are there to inform about possible shows that you may be interested in.

Click here to see which cultural companies, theatres, centres participate in the system…

Dress Code: Dress code for theater, opera, concerts of nowadays :)

• Festivals
    • Theater Travel

• Bigjones's Profile Photo

salsaweb and salsabelgique: Latest salsa news in Belgium ...

by Bigjones Updated Mar 22, 2004

www.salsaweb.be (in English)
    www.salsabelgique.be (only in French)

On these websites, you'll find out everything about the salsa events in Belgium : the calender of the parties, special nights, concerts, festivals, congresses ; the latest salsa news ; dance classes and teachers information, music information and so on.

• angiebabe's Profile Photo

walk around the streets and Grande Place

by angiebabe Updated May 3, 2008

The Grande place and the surrounding streets are usually busy with people till fairly late - the Light and Sound show which shows each night after dark doesnt start till midsummer ie June for a few months - but even now in May with the streets around the centre well lit the place has been still busy till late with people out eating, drinking, walking around and sight and people watching as well, or sitting around the Grand Place socialising or enjoying the night effects.

The waffle sellers seem to do a roaring trade and the Mannekin Pis still gets a good number of visitors...

• Castles and Palaces
    • Architecture

• Norali's Profile Photo

Planète chocolat: Chocolate everything

by Norali Updated May 21, 2004

Mmmm.. I was there once (in 2001), appreciated my experience though aftrewards, I have never been lucky. Each time I wanted to go there, it's always closed.. I don't really understand. Would it be possible that I tend to go there at same moment of the week, at their very closed day? I don't know.

[Update on April 2004: Bigjones told me that Plan?te uses to close at 6.30 pm but recently launched night events to introduce new artists.]

It is the place for chocoaholics... Everything there is chocolate: chocolate drink, chocolate pieces, chocolate cake... Many stuffs to treat yourself with chocolate home...

Dress Code: Would update this tip when I have more info

I know there was a room for parties.. where you can hang out... but will have to return there to be precise. After all, last time I was there was in 2002.

• Work Abroad

• CrtnShdofGrn's Profile Photo

Le Bâtonnier: Sometimes u wanna go where nobody knows your name.

by CrtnShdofGrn Written Dec 1, 2003

Well, my experience in this place was...unique. I arrived in Brussels for a VT meeting and met up with one of my VT friends of a couple of months, or so (the lovely Bigjones). Being quite late already, we decided we would like to go out for a beer, but didn't have an idea of where, and ended up at this place. She didn't know of it, although it is near her place, and I doubt she'll be back, but it made for an interesting time. While it was nice to talk and get to know each other in person after some time of chatting online, there was something distracting about the place. Was it the 100 or so witch dolls hanging from the ceiling? No. Was it the music? Not really. It was the staring guy (who later fell asleep near the door...picture to come soon). It was the guy who needed a better belt (see below under dress code...and sorry, no picture to come soon). And, it was especially the aging, self-proclaimed "rock and roller", who plays a mean air guitar, air drums, but sings horribly, and interrupted our conversation so often, we finally gave up so we could concentrate on laughing at our surroundings (hey, you can't take these things too seriously). While I would have preferred a nice, quiet place to get to know a new friend over a beer, this place gave us many experiences in such a short time that I'm sure we will remember throughout our friendship and beyond. Usually it takes weeks or months to have inside jokes with a friend...we had several in under an hour. While Bridget insists many bars in that area are the same (and they likely are) I am sure that our experience would go unmatched. If you're up for disturbing atmosphere, inexpensive drinks, and locals who will make you glad you are just visiting, don't miss the chance to check this place out!!

Dress Code: Ha ha ha...yeah, right! One old man who had to weigh over 200 kg dropped is pants at the bar...does that tell you anything? (Bridget, be glad you missed that! I wish I had!!) :-)

Brussels Hotels

• Dec 16, 2013 at 2:15 PM

Any body here?

• leics's Profile Photo
      Dec 16, 2013 at 11:29 PM

I'm not sure what you mean...there are lots of VT members in Brussels and lots of VT members online all the time. But if you want to ask a question about Brussels I suggest you do so on the VT Brussels travel forum. Far, far more people will see it there than at the bottom of this travel guide page.

You can use the 'Instant Answers' box directly above your comment or go straight to the forum here:

Brussels Travel Forum

Brussels Nightlife

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Brussels locals.
Map of Brussels