Chez Léon, Brussels

• jlanza29's Profile Photo

Chez Leon: Just Ok, if you must

by jlanza29 Written Mar 6, 2010
    Just ok, nothing special

Ok, the first thing is that Chez Leon is on Rue du Bouchors .... where you'll find all the tourist type of restaurants with tourist prices, Since mussels are in seasons we decided to try this place for it's mussels.... we've read mixed reviews about this place on VT. So we decided to give a shot. So we arrived and we were seated promptly on a busy Saturday night. We all ordered the mussels in white wine and cream sauce with pomme frites ... The going prices was 21 Euro's about $26 US dollars .... you recieve a small buckets of mussels and a hand full of pomme frites....now I have had mussels before, and really didn't taste the huge difference from when I have had them in the past. Beers were priced like everywhere else 5 Euro's for a 20 oz .... but I thought it was just ok, nothing special .. the service was OK, they spoke english well enough to kind around some, but I give it 5 out of 10 ... not overly good or but not bad either.

• tere1's Profile Photo

Chez Leon: Great Mussels!

by tere1 Written Mar 16, 2008

This restaurant is said to have the best mussels in Brussels, and indeed they are great.
    You can have them cooked in many different ways and they are always fresh. Besides the mussels , they have all traditional Belgian dishes.

I had the "Formule Leon menu" : Portion Mussels special + French fries + 1 beer Maes. For just 14.50€ I had an excellent lunch.

The restaurant is always verý busy but the service is good and fast.

Favorite Dish: Mussels with french fries and a wonderful beer.

• mimi9877's Profile Photo

Chez Léon: Waterzooi and Lunch combo

by mimi9877 Written Apr 3, 2007

I have been here twice now and they have not disappointed. It is SO GOOD. They dont have to beg for customers like other places because the reputation speaks for itself. The waterzooi is a local dish and is amazing. The lunch combos with 3 courses for 13,50 are great! Highly recommend. The chocolate mousse will make you melt.

Favorite Dish: waterzooi and turkey steak and frites (of course)

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo

Chez Léon: touristy but fair value and quality

by richiecdisc Updated Mar 12, 2007

enjoying mussels with friends from the UK

This is one touristy restaurant worth going to and remains a bit of a Brussels institution. Mussels are their main attraction and if you are looking to try them in Belgium (and by all means you should!), this is as good a place as any to do it. Their menus are even shaped like a mussel. To be honest I did not make it there on my last trip to town but on my visit in 1997 I was surprised at how economical it was, at least at lunchtime. I'm sure that prices have gone up since then and with the devaluation of the dollar I imagine I might not be as blown away by the price of a set lunch menu but that is always one thing to look out for when eating in European big cities.

Favorite Dish: I had a set lunch menu of mussels with Belgian frites that came with a soup and even a beer was included in the price. I looked online and did not see a set menu that included mussels (their signature food) but maybe they have it as a black board special so keep an eye out for them.

• pat333's Profile Photo

Chez Léon: Excellent Mussels!

by pat333 Written Mar 4, 2007

We had dinner there tonight and were not disappointed. Service and waiters were very friendly despite the hectic atmosphere. Lots of tourist groups coming in and just a lot of hustle and bustle. As mentioned in other reviews, they do not need to harass tourists to come in as people just come in. The service was fast and efficient and friendly.

Favorite Dish: I had the mussels with cream sauce with fries and a mixed salad. My husband had the 'anglar fish' with mashed potatoes. The seafood was very fresh indeed although the fish dish could have been a little bigger. We also ordered half a litre of white wine.

For dessert, the belgian waffle with whipped cream was a disappointment. It was not even really warm and quite honestly, the ones out on the street taste 1000% better and I believe it cost 6 euros or so. However, we also ordered this pancake with apples in it and with fresh flambed caramel sauce on it. I swear the sauce was still bubbling when it got to the table for a couple of minutes. That was really incredibly delicious.

• froggy06's Profile Photo

Chez Léon: Mussels, mussels and mussels

by froggy06 Updated Dec 26, 2006

What a change from the other restaurants on Rue des Bouchers who are harassing you when you walk past their restaurants. Chez Leon do not need to advertise for the place as it was packed every time I walked past it. Don't be put off when you enter the premises as you have to walk through a very clinical part of the restaurant which is next to the kitchen.
    Good and efficient service.

Favorite Dish: We had a great mussels a la creme, mussels meridionnales and house beer.

• Chez Léon: I could go back to Brussels just for it

by MariaK Updated Jul 20, 2006
    A happy mussel - I was really happy to eat it too!

It's the first time ever I have had such a nice dinner in a touristy restaurant.

Brussels is three things for me: Leon, Grand Place (and mini Europe? I should find a third one!). This order.

PS -If you ask the waiter where the ladies room is and he starts telling you this story about "you get out of the restaurant, walk straight, pass the Grand Place, then turn right..." he is just kidding. The toilets are in the restaurant, and they are good. :D

Favorite Dish: Mussles. Mussles. Mussles.

• Filoxera's Profile Photo

Chez Léon: A common place, but a good one!!

by Filoxera Written Dec 28, 2005

It’s not cheap, but the mussels are very good and the service is very quick and efficient.

The atmosphere is touristy but nice and cosy.

It’s a great place to take a meal to remember!!

Favorite Dish: Mussels with cream or... whatever, all mussels dishes!
    They are all good!

• yasi's Profile Photo

Chez Léon: For sure, where else we were able to eat :)

by yasi Written Nov 17, 2005

Its not possible to not stop by at Chez leon when i was in Brussels. Come on, its something like the Manneken Pis :) Its a must to visit at least one time if you like mussels. They have beef or pasta for non-mussell loversi but i do not recommend to eat beef there. Its more expensive than in common restauarant. That is a place for mussels, so either eat that or choose some other restaurant ( non in Rue de Bouchers please) please.

Favorite Dish: For sure the mussells. My preference is with the cream one and the with the wine one. People says that the curry one is really good, but i still not find a friend who eat that and let me try it :)

• unexplored's Profile Photo

Chez Léon: Moules-frites specialist

by unexplored Updated Nov 14, 2005

Established in 1893, this longtime tourist favourite in the heart of Brussels' famous dining street, Rue des Bouchers. This casual haunt provides unquestionable value for money in an otherwise expensive area.

• Polly74's Profile Photo

Chez Léon: Very good food

by Polly74 Written Apr 14, 2005

Inside the restaurant

This restaurant is one of the oldest in Rue de Bouchers and it is one of the most known among tourists and abitué.
    There are no waiters outside trying to pull you inside because they don't need it..... there are plenty of people entering the restaurant or sitting on the terrasse.
    The service is precise, quick and very accurate. A waiter takes care of you since your entrance and he's always ready to help you with suggestions.

Favorite Dish: I took a grilled filet. It was really well done, cooked as requested.
    But fish is also very good here.

• smicki's Profile Photo

Chez Léon: Typical tourist fare

by smicki Written Apr 9, 2005

If you want to try my favourite Belgian dish of mussels and frites (freedom fries these days to you guys on the other side of the pond I believe - hilarious!) this isn' t too bad. Its on the tourist trail, just off the Grand Place and for what you get, the price is pretty reasonable.

• Chez Léon: too touristy

by fratboyslim Written Mar 21, 2005

I ordered the tourist special which was probably my fault. Mussels were very bland and atmosphere was touristy. We just ate at int' spinekopite the night before which was wonderful, so this was a letdown. It does have a great location and they don't hustle you like the other restaurants on the street.

• rsilva's Profile Photo

Chez Léon: Fast service, great food

by rsilva Written Mar 9, 2005

Don't let the touristy look of this restaurant fool you, it is actually great.

This place had been recommended to us by some friends (did not know of VT back then) and we wanted to try it.

It is located in the main "Restaurant street" in the center and looks just like any other place there... bad.
    There are neon signs and picture menus in several languages (not only French and Flemish :)).

A good sign was seeing a lot of locals there (judging by language and appearance).

The food is very good. My girlfriend had mussels with french fries and I had the Trout with almonds. Both were great!
    We liked it so much, in fact, that we went back the next day. Just to see if the quality was consistent, of course.

Service is quite unfriendly, with slightly older men that seem to have been working there for at least 20 years, but extremely efficient. I still wonder how they managed to serve my trout in less than 10 minutes, with a full restaurant. Not that I am complaining, of course.

Favorite Dish: Mussels
    Trout with almonds

• ATLC's Profile Photo

Chez Léon: Léon

by ATLC Written Jan 23, 2005

L��on, Brussels

An amazingly big and busy place. In fact, I think it seats a few hundred people, but you don't realise that when you go in. Up a few short stairs, on various levels, people eat in reasonable privacy and groups of 10 to even 40 can be seated semi-separately and still not bother other guests.
    We were seated somewhere at the top/back of the restaurants and passing many tables I saw most people ate cooked mussels, succulent steaks, Belgian Fries and other goodies.
    Service was quick, friendly, very attentive and the food was excellent!

Favorite Dish: Tomato filled with shrimp for starter, choice of steak or cooked mussels for main course and choice of crème caramel, chocolate mousse or a freshly made Brussels Waffle with cream for dessert.

Instant Answers: Brussels