Chez Léon, Brussels

by feza
  • rsilva's Profile Photo

Chez Léon: Fast service, great food

by rsilva Written Mar 9, 2005

Don't let the touristy look of this restaurant fool you, it is actually great.

This place had been recommended to us by some friends (did not know of VT back then) and we wanted to try it.

It is located in the main "Restaurant street" in the center and looks just like any other place there... bad.
    There are neon signs and picture menus in several languages (not only French and Flemish :)).

A good sign was seeing a lot of locals there (judging by language and appearance).

The food is very good. My girlfriend had mussels with french fries and I had the Trout with almonds. Both were great!
    We liked it so much, in fact, that we went back the next day. Just to see if the quality was consistent, of course.

Service is quite unfriendly, with slightly older men that seem to have been working there for at least 20 years, but extremely efficient. I still wonder how they managed to serve my trout in less than 10 minutes, with a full restaurant. Not that I am complaining, of course.

Favorite Dish: Mussels
    Trout with almonds

• ATLC's Profile Photo

Chez Léon: Léon

by ATLC Written Jan 23, 2005

An amazingly big and busy place. In fact, I think it seats a few hundred people, but you don't realise that when you go in. Up a few short stairs, on various levels, people eat in reasonable privacy and groups of 10 to even 40 can be seated semi-separately and still not bother other guests.
    We were seated somewhere at the top/back of the restaurants and passing many tables I saw most people ate cooked mussels, succulent steaks, Belgian Fries and other goodies.
    Service was quick, friendly, very attentive and the food was excellent!

Favorite Dish: Tomato filled with shrimp for starter, choice of steak or cooked mussels for main course and choice of crème caramel, chocolate mousse or a freshly made Brussels Waffle with cream for dessert.

L��on, Brussels

• tere1's Profile Photo

Chez Leon: Great Mussels!

by tere1 Written Mar 16, 2008

This restaurant is said to have the best mussels in Brussels, and indeed they are great.
    You can have them cooked in many different ways and they are always fresh. Besides the mussels , they have all traditional Belgian dishes.

I had the "Formule Leon menu" : Portion Mussels special + French fries + 1 beer Maes. For just 14.50€ I had an excellent lunch.

The restaurant is always verý busy but the service is good and fast.

Favorite Dish: Mussels with french fries and a wonderful beer.

• sue_stone's Profile Photo

Chez Leon: Picture menu's aren't always bad news...

by sue_stone Updated Apr 19, 2004

Chez Leon is a friendly, busy Belgium restaurant, close to Grand Place.

It may have menu's with pictures, but the food was fabulous and service efficient and friendly.

We liked it so much we even went to their outlet in Paris.

Favorite Dish: moules and loads of frites!!!

washed down by a beer or two. of course!

moules, frites and beer. perfect! Alex about to tuck in

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo

Chez Léon: touristy but fair value and quality

by richiecdisc Updated Mar 12, 2007

This is one touristy restaurant worth going to and remains a bit of a Brussels institution. Mussels are their main attraction and if you are looking to try them in Belgium (and by all means you should!), this is as good a place as any to do it. Their menus are even shaped like a mussel. To be honest I did not make it there on my last trip to town but on my visit in 1997 I was surprised at how economical it was, at least at lunchtime. I'm sure that prices have gone up since then and with the devaluation of the dollar I imagine I might not be as blown away by the price of a set lunch menu but that is always one thing to look out for when eating in European big cities.

Favorite Dish: I had a set lunch menu of mussels with Belgian frites that came with a soup and even a beer was included in the price. I looked online and did not see a set menu that included mussels (their signature food) but maybe they have it as a black board special so keep an eye out for them.

enjoying mussels with friends from the UK

• LysDor's Profile Photo

CHEZ LÉON (Ilôt-Sacré)

by LysDor Updated Apr 16, 2004

Ok, Ok I must admit that their standards have switched a bit towards tourirms -which not good!!

B U T they still have excellent mussels (see list on the left * Click to enlarge!(from aåril to september-as an unwritten rulöe) and fish dishes: my favourite: *Moules à l'escargot* and *Sole à l'Ostendaise*.
    ...............
    Meat lovers will find juicy steaks to please their palate: my favourite here 'Steak au poivre vert flambé crème'.
    .............
    Do check their newly updated "fun" website (Link below)!
    .............

• Nice2004's Profile Photo

Chez Léon: Best Mussels in town!

by Nice2004 Updated Oct 17, 2004

Although this restaurant might seem like a tourist trap it really is one of the best places in Brussels for 'moules'.

Kids meals are free and there are also plenty of other options for non mussel eaters. Prices have always seemed very reasonable to me. The restaurant is always busy and popular and definitely recommended.

Favorite Dish: Moules et frites!

Yum Yum!

• mimi9877's Profile Photo

Chez Léon: Waterzooi and Lunch combo

by mimi9877 Written Apr 3, 2007

I have been here twice now and they have not disappointed. It is SO GOOD. They dont have to beg for customers like other places because the reputation speaks for itself. The waterzooi is a local dish and is amazing. The lunch combos with 3 courses for 13,50 are great! Highly recommend. The chocolate mousse will make you melt.

Favorite Dish: waterzooi and turkey steak and frites (of course)

• Polly74's Profile Photo

Chez Léon: Very good food

by Polly74 Written Apr 14, 2005

This restaurant is one of the oldest in Rue de Bouchers and it is one of the most known among tourists and abitué.
    There are no waiters outside trying to pull you inside because they don't need it..... there are plenty of people entering the restaurant or sitting on the terrasse.
    The service is precise, quick and very accurate. A waiter takes care of you since your entrance and he's always ready to help you with suggestions.

Favorite Dish: I took a grilled filet. It was really well done, cooked as requested.
    But fish is also very good here.

Inside the restaurant

• Chez Léon: Moules-Frites anyone ?

by austen1973 Written Sep 4, 2004

Moules-Frites or mussles-fries is one of the most famous dish in Belgium...and it happens to be be one of my favorite, so anytime I crave for the best mussles in town, Chez Leon is the place I go to.

Chez Leon, is a restaurant adventure which started a bit over 100 years ago by Leon. It had such a big success in Brussels that it opened about some 10 other restaurants in Belgium and abroad.

The speciality of the house is of course mussles but you also have other seafood, fish and meat dishes.

There are two Chez Leon in Brussels, one near the Grand Place and one near the Atomium.

Good swift service, brasserie atmosphere, booking not required.

Favorite Dish: curry mussels

• smicki's Profile Photo

Chez Léon: Typical tourist fare

by smicki Written Apr 9, 2005

If you want to try my favourite Belgian dish of mussels and frites (freedom fries these days to you guys on the other side of the pond I believe - hilarious!) this isn' t too bad. Its on the tourist trail, just off the Grand Place and for what you get, the price is pretty reasonable.

• eden_teuling's Profile Photo

LéON: MUSSEL RESTAURANT.....

by eden_teuling Updated Mar 26, 2004

THIS IS PROBALY THE BEST KNOWN mussel-restaurant of belgium......YES, OF BELGIUM.

Gigantic large, several floors but always full of guests who have found their way to this place.......

You will hear FRENCH and FLEMISH because the Locals love coming there too!

Fast service and enormous pots of steaming mussels, prepared in dozens of different ways are filling the air with mouthwatering scents...

Favorite Dish: Although I love fishdishes....I have to confess that I don't like Mussels....so I have never been there.......

FISHERMEN

• froggy06's Profile Photo

Chez Léon: Mussels, mussels and mussels

by froggy06 Updated Dec 26, 2006

What a change from the other restaurants on Rue des Bouchers who are harassing you when you walk past their restaurants. Chez Leon do not need to advertise for the place as it was packed every time I walked past it. Don't be put off when you enter the premises as you have to walk through a very clinical part of the restaurant which is next to the kitchen.
    Good and efficient service.

Favorite Dish: We had a great mussels a la creme, mussels meridionnales and house beer.

• Chez Leon: Mussels and Frites

by sabsi Updated Jul 11, 2003

Popular Place in the Rue de Bouchers, the "food street" of Brussels.

Favorite Dish: As I don't like Mussels I had a lovely turkey steak covered with herbs. And chips of course ;-) Bea and Caro had Moules et Frites of course!

Bea and Caro and Mussels and Frites

• edgarvnl's Profile Photo

Cafe Leon: Cafe Leon

by edgarvnl Written Aug 25, 2002

Another Brussells insititution.

Favorite Dish: Okay, I have a one-track mind. The seafood at Cafe Leon is famous. Again, cold platter and paella are standouts. Also, you can't have a proper seafood meal in Belgium without a Belgian beer. Kwok happens to be my favorite, but they're all good. Trust me. I've tried them all, several times :-).

Instant Answers: Brussels