Vegetarian, Brussels

Ixelles municipality hall
    by Norali

Vegetarian restaurants: Vegetarian restaurants in Brussels

by BeChar Updated Feb 21, 2005

Here is a list of vegetarian restaurants in Brussels.

(Should you be interested in other parts of the world, have a look at: Vegeats.com).

Arcadi 1b, rue d'Aremberg - 1000 Bruxelles - 02 511 33 43 - Every day.

Biodrome 76-78, rue Marché au Charbon - 1000 Bruxelles - 02 502 12 10 - Closed on Sundays.

Den Teepot 29, rue des Chartreux - 1000 Bruxelles - 02 511 94 02 - Closed on Sundays.

Dolma 329-331, Chaussée d'Ixelles - 1050 Bruxelles - 02 649 89 81 - Closed on Sundays.

Katja's Kitchen 87, rue Marché au Charbon - 1000 Bruxelles - 0497 47 33 37 - Closed on Mondays.

L'Élément Terre 465, Chaussée de Waterloo - 1050 Bruxelles - 02 649 37 27 - Closed on Sundays & Mondays.

La Saga 9, avenue de la Chevalerie - 1040 Etterbeek - 02 734 40 98

Shanti 68, avenue Adolphe Buyl - 1050 Bruxelles - 02 649 40 96 - Closed on Sundays & Mondays.

La Tsampa 109, rue de Livourne - 1050 Bruxelles 02 649 89 81 - Closed on Sundays.

Totem 11 rue de la grande ile - 1000 Bruxelles - 0476 20 86 09 - Every day.

Dolma: Dolma, vegetarian restaurant in Tibetan decoration

by BeChar Updated Feb 21, 2005

Dolma shop & restaurant

Dolma, (sooner called Le Paradoxe), is a vegetarian restaurant and vegetarian shop, side by side.

When entering Dolma you first notice the bar, then a second room with a tent as ceiling and the buffet. Further you find the desk, customer tables, and through openings of what were windows, a large room with a new roof, annexe of the original house. Stairs lead you to small first and second floors with a few tables. Wood, Tibetan ornamentation or books, and warm colours are everywhere. Sitting close to the desk is a good place to enjoy from the different rooms, at small distance from the piano (normally playing on Fridays and Saturdays) and very close to the buffet ;-).

At the buffet, you find fresh and boiled vegetable, soup, tofu, quorn, quiches, chocolate or fruit deserts, ... As a drink, would you try the Tibetan Tea: tea, milk, butter and salt ?

The buffet costs 15 euros (2005) for as much as you want (but only one dessert, fortunately!).

12am - 2pm, 7pm - 10pm.
    Closed on sundays, reservation recommended on saturdays.

Favorite Dish: I like very much soups and vegetable, fresh and boiled. But being in a vegetarian restaurant, I enjoyed less common vegetable like some mushrooms and pumkin. I consider this was the entrée.

As main dish, if I may say, I enjoyed the quiche spinash-Feta.

Although tempted by a chocolate-chessnut tart, but definitely not hungry enough, I ate a piece of apple pie (thin dough, lof of apple pieces).

• Bigjones's Profile Photo

L'Element Terre: Original veggie

by Bigjones Written Oct 6, 2004

Element Terre

If you think vegetarian food is boring, this charming little restaurant will make you change your mind ! It's very original and tasty. Very friendly staff, you can ask whatever you want, they will give you informations with a smile.

Favorite Dish: My friend had a vegetable tajine and I had eggplants rolls filled with with tomatoes and parmesan + corn crisps. De-li-cious !

Vegetarian: Arcadi - the setting

by Norali Updated Feb 25, 2004

arcadi caf��

What strikes most when you are in front of the café is the setting. Of course, once you are inside, you will marvel at everything: the ambience, the setting, deco...

In the past, Arcadi was only located in a townhouse. After some extension works, the café now occupies the size of two merged townhouses. Setting is retro. Deco is made of little tables with wall mirrors. On shelves, find some old cookie boxes (collectibles?), many small paitings and lithos hanging on the wall. Kind of casual ambience. Some magazines to read while you are waiting for your meal to come.

Favorite Dish: Wide range of homemade vegetable quiches. Ok for vegetarians though it won't fit to strict vegetalians...

My fave is "Quiche au saumon" (salmon) with its trimmings including coriander leaves.

The spinach quiche is yummy too. They are all superb since ingredients are fresh and that they are homemade. You will be spoilt with choices. Anyway, I will have to return to try more. I used to go there on my noon lunch since my ancient workplace was not far from Galeries St-Hubert. And now, the habit disappeared.

First time, I tasted the fruit pies was July 12th. Delicious too! My melon cro?te is yummy, so was raspberry cro?te according to Dannie.

• Norali's Profile Photo

"Arcadi" café: Vegetarian delicacies...

by Norali Updated Mar 19, 2004

spoilt with choice we were...

Hmm... A lot to say about Arcadi.

It is a place known for its yummy quiches (most of them are vegetarian dishes). Their cro?tes (thin pies with fruit slices on top of some cream preparation) and pies are delicious as well.

And the wide range of quiches and pies. Really impressive. Some other vegetarian dishes (vegetables quiches) and pasta as well.

Price: 3 euros for a reasonable slice of cro?te (dessert). 8 euros for a reasonable slice of quiches with its trimmings. The quiche is more appropriate for noon lunch of course.

Hours:
    Mon-Fri: 7.30am-23.00pm
    Sat-Sun: 10.00am-23.00pm

Favorite Dish: Wide range of homemade vegetable quiches.

First time, I tasted the fruit pies was July 12th. Delicious too! My melon croûte is yummy, so was raspberry croûte according to Dannie.

• Architecture

La Saga: Vegetal and Biological food store and restaurant

by BeChar Updated Mar 30, 2005

La Saga

Push the frontdoor (see 1. in map) to enter the vegetal and biological foodstore. At the rear of that room, push the door to enter the restaurant.
    Decoration is simple, colors in the yellow and orange palette. Many tables are available (in a room, in a veranda or in the garden).

Two main suggestions: cold or warm plates, 3 sizes each. Soup of the day. You can mix cold and warm food and select what you would like among delicious preparations varying from day to day. Classical drinks but special teas.

Food store Mon-Fri 10am-8pm Sat 10am-6pm
    Restaurant Mon-Fri 12am-3pm

Favorite Dish: I appreciate the principle of plates full of many different things. I preferred the warm dishes as preparations teased my curiosity.

• Norali's Profile Photo

Mumtaz: An Indian restaurant in Matongé area (Ixelles)

by Norali Updated Dec 26, 2004

Ixelles municipality hall

Well... what can I say ? So far, though, the best Indian restaurant I ever tried in Belgium lies in Mons city. Don't even know whether it still exists, btw. I haven't tried that many Indian restaurants in Brussels but I would recommend this one: Mumtaz.

Mumtaz is located in the busy area of African community. You have to walk in Chaussée d'Ixelles then take your left. It is Chaussée de Wavre, the one that goes through the African quarter in Brussels. The area is packed with shops and stalls loaded with imported food items in Chaussée de Wavre. Also, you would pass near hair products shops (whigs, beads...). Then you finally reach the restaurant. As often, the setting is rather simple.

First time I was there, it was for a noon lunch: 3 tables were occupied. Still, it can be crowded sometimes.

Service is OK, not too much insisting, caring and attentive. While talking with one of the waiters, he explained cuisine was about Indian subcontinental cuisine, not only Indian, more "Pakistanese", he said.. but I saw dishes proper to certain Indian regions as well, others à la Sri Lankaise.. etc...

Favorite Dish: Dishes:

First time I was there, I tried Chicken korma (yummy). Second time: Chicken tikka masala, delicious. With pilaw rice, it is heaven. Was there any dessert? I don't remember having seen it on the card. Thrice (end Dec. 04) was the perfect time for Samosa starter and Shahi Lamb Korma. Since the lamb korma was a tad sweet, I added some spicy chutney to balance it... If my memory serves me well, it was a Lime and Spice chutney.. a bit sour and medium hot.

From my three experiences there, a main course is enough if it is about creamy meat dish (chicken, lamb curry & korma...). The third time, I had samosa with it and indeed, it was too much. But gee ! I can't resist samosa. Got so used to it in Madagascar.

Then, absolute must: have the cardamon tea... lovely !

[Though I've never tried the vegetarian dishes, I noticed that there are some choice there. So far, Indian dishes are my favourite amongst vegetarians]

Well, a male friend of mine told me that Indian food is "orgasmic" food, I think he is right. :) Texture, fragrance, taste, imagination, balance... everything is there to grant you with unforgettable experiences.

• Oups Soup Bar: A nice and friendly atmosphere to enjoy soup!

by bicky Updated Aug 23, 2005

This is some home made thai soup !

Soup bar "Oups" is held by Nathalie, a friend of an ex-colleague of mine and her sister.

They provide the menu with 3 or 4 new soups each week.

Special is the fact that it's very health, you get a great service and it is obvvious you should book in advance if you want a good seat.

Take away is also possible.

Atmosphere is loungy, with accomanying music.

There is a terrace at the back when the sun is shining !

Favorite Dish: soup of course !

There is a special one with cocos and another with cauliflower and curry !

What I like, is that for the price of 1 big bowl of one kind, you can also choose 2 different ones.

For those indicisive people ...

• myriam_c's Profile Photo

Arcadi: Arcadi

by myriam_c Written Apr 6, 2003

If I hadn't known from my friend Gini (cadzand) that the food was good, I doubt if I would have gone inside. It's not at all an attractive place: very narrow, and crammed with small bistro tables and not-so-comfortable wooden chairs. We were lucky to find a quiet corner on the first floor where we had a little more space.
    We were lucky to have a table after all as the place got packed more and more as the time passed by. This seems to be a favorite place amongst people from all nature.

Favorite Dish: It's a mainly vegetarian restaurant and their menu is huge: there's a permanent menu and a changeable menu with suggestions.
    Lots of different pies (quiche), warm veggie preparations, omelettes, sandwiches, pasta, salads, ...

I had quiche with mushrooms & bacon served with a salad. My husband had millefeuilles with eggplant, sundried tomatoes and mozarella, our friends had vegetarian canneloni. All were very pleased!

Prices are very democratic.

NB: the bistro is being remodelled actually.

• Sjalen's Profile Photo

Het Warm Water: Veggie buffet, child friendly

by Sjalen Written Sep 26, 2002

A warm yellow interior awaits you in this cosy restaurant in the heart of Les Marolles. It is in a side street full of small cafés and galleries and the place itself offers simple but good vegetarian food and/or drink. Their buffet until 15.00 is popular. There is also a play area for children upstairs.

Favorite Dish: The buffet is good value for money.

• Sjalen's Profile Photo

La Tsampa / Dolma: Vegetarian in Belgian Blue land?

by Sjalen Written Sep 26, 2002

Don't worry. There are vegetarian places in Brussels too, albeit not many. You can mail me for more tips but Dolma is possibly the most well-known and with a nice interior. Closed some Saturday evenings and all Sundays.

Favorite Dish: Mixed dishes

• cadzand's Profile Photo

ARCADI CAFE: ARCADI CAFE

by cadzand Updated Jul 17, 2003

Restaurant Arcadi caf��

old 'bistrot' style 1900

Favorite Dish: Quick snacks, speciality : vegetable cakes, quiches, spaghetti, vegetarian food, sandwiches, delicious fruit cakes yummy !!!, etc.

Opening hours mo - fr 7.30 a.m. - 11.00 p.m.
    sat. - sun 10.00 a.m.-11.00 p.m.

• Arcadi: wonderful vegetarian food and quiche

by ysm Written Nov 3, 2008

because I'm a vegetarian, I was worried that I wouldn't find many options, but on the contrary I found so many delicious choices, also my husband who is not a vegetraian loved the food there. the place that we liked the most is Arcadi Cafe which has wonderful quiche and pasta dishes, the address is 1b, rue d'Arenberg at 1000 Brussels near Central Station, Grand'Place, St. Gudule church, Galeries du Roi, the galerie is also wonderful because you find all kinds of chocolat shops in it with lots of restaurants and cafes.

Favorite Dish: the mushroom quiche