Speculoos, Brussels

Know about this? Rate It!

Dandoy cookies!!!
    by irisbe
    Dandoy cookies!
    by irisbe
    SWEETS....
    by eden_teuling
  • Dandoy: What a shame !

by michel15 Updated Sep 27, 2006

When you can smell butter odour, that means you are arrived! Everything seems to be wonderful from outside....

Service inside is a disaster ! When we entered, the shopkeeper did as she didn't see us...so we decided to go to the 1st floor to have waffels wishing that the service will be better...same thing! The waitress did as we were invisible !
    So, When I saw a free table, I just went to sit....and suddenly the waitress came and shout at me in french...She thought that I can't speak french...what a shame to say what she said! I won't repeat it there! :-D

So to anwser the "What makes it so special?", I would say : Surprising!!! because, in most of tourist guide, it is said that Dandoy is a recommanded place, kind of first class place !!

What to buy: Nothing special, you can buy what they sell (Speculoos, pain à la grecque etc...) elsewhere in Brussels.

What to pay: Nothing, we get out this shop without buying anything since we were spoken like stinky dogs !!!

• irisbe's Profile Photo

Dandoy: Pain grècque, speculoos... yummmmiieee!

by irisbe Written Aug 27, 2006

Dandoy cookies!!!

Not so far from the Grote Markt and on the route towards Manneke Pis, you will walk pass the shop with many different cookes.
    The name of the shop is Dandoy and you just have to go inside to see how many different cookies they have!
    If it is open and there is not too much people inside, I usually hop in and by myself those tiny almond speculoos cookies.
    They are so yummie tasteful!

What to buy: All kinds of cookes! so many choices.

• Norali's Profile Photo

Biscuiterie Dandoy: Belgian delight: speculoos and butter cookies

by Norali Updated Feb 6, 2005

Dandoy

The boutique is recognizable at the smell of butter cookies it gives off while wandering Rue au beurre.

Entering the boutique, you will be greatly surprised by spice odour and this smell of butterbread. I appreciate the display with several piles of cookies, packs.

The only "but": the ladies over there are not nice. No smile, they don't serve you as soon as you enter (I entered, they saw me but kept on chatting till other clients entered the shop). OK, the one who served me ended up talking about the cold weather but my first contact with her was a "no-smile" style. lol In the past, they didn't even take time to talk...
    That said, my experiences at Rue Charles Buls were much nicer than those at Rue au beurre. maybe they are bored with so many tourists coming to them ?

What to buy: Dandoy spéculoos as Dandoy still sticks to the original recipe.

Speculoos is a kind of caramelized plate gingerbread.

Try their pain à la grecque as well. If I had to only pick one item from Dandoy, I guess it would be pain à la grecque.

On my picture: the cookie boxes and one dish with speculoos, a second one with loaves of pain à la grecque.

What to pay: If I am not wrong, I remember having paid 17-18 euros for assorted butter cookies (1 kilo)

• Business Travel

• biloune's Profile Photo

Dandoy: les meilleurs biscuits de Bruxelles et de la terre

by biloune Written Jul 9, 2004

C'est une maison centenaire dans le coeur historique de la ville. Ils font des biscuits depuis..... mes parents étaient pas nés!
    Entre les sablés, les speculoos, les pains à la grecque, les coeurs de palmier, les brioches: vous ne saurez plus quoi choisir.
    Un conseil: prenez tout, on a du plaisir là où on va le chercher!

What to pay: Bon ok c'est pas donné... c'est pas un produit premier prix. Je dirais pour 250 g de biscuits merveilleux: 7euros

• eden_teuling's Profile Photo

DANDOY: THE MOST FAMOUS CONFECTIONER'S

by eden_teuling Updated Mar 26, 2004

SWEETS....

This shop was opened 2 centuries ago (imagine!!) in 1829!!

You will find here all of Brussels traditional sweets such as: SPECULAAS, PAIN A GRECQUE AND FRANGIPANE, not to mention the very best MARZIPAN in BELGIUM.

THE SHOPWINDOW ONLY will make your mouth water!!

What to buy: OPEN: mondays - saturdays
    8.30AM - 6.30 PM and on Sundays from 10.30AM - 6.30PM

This is a very fine place to buy special gifts for those who are home.......

What to pay: depends how welcome you will be when arriving home.....

• LysDor's Profile Photo

DANDOY

by LysDor Written May 29, 2003

Artisanal cookies such as Speculoos, a specialty of Belgium in which flat gingerbread cakes are cut into different shapes or "pains à la grecque"!

Instant Answers: Brussels