The oldest church in Brussels, its construction began on the church in 1210 and was completed by the end of the 13Th century. It reflects the transition between Romanesque and Gothic styles.
A Baroque bell tower was added after the French artillery bombardment of 1695, and several campaigns of restoration were undertaken in the 19Th and 20Th centuries.
Its remarkable the pulpit, intricately carved hunk featuring part of the Old Testament.
The construction of this sighificant edifice marking the transition from roman to gothic started in 1210 and was complited during the XIII century. The church suffered history's turmoil: a fire, a bombardment, pillaging, transformations, reconstructions starting in the XV century, as well as many renewal initiatives during the XIX and XX century. The roman-gothic choir and transept offer a striking contrast with the wide flamboyant gothic nave. This edifice hosts the funerary monument of Pierre Breughel the Elder, along with sculptures by J. Duquesnoy the Young, L. Fayd'herbe and J. Cosyn, baptismal fonts from 1475, as well as a beautiful collection of paintings.
This beautiful and ancient "Church of the Chapel" was built around 1134. It sits along side the Place du Grand Sablon near the equally amazing Eglise Notre-Dame du Sablon.
Though damaged by fire in 1405 and by the French bombings in 1695, the church was rebuilt better than ever.
NOTRE DAME DE LA CHAPELLE CHURCH This church has always been frequented by famous people--some of whom are commemorated in bas-reliefs and frescoes on the walls. Inside you find the tomb of painter Pieter Brueghel the Elder. The memorial "The Velvet Brueghel" was done by the artist's son, Jan. The artist lived and died near here at no. 132 rue Haute.
The Kapellekerk is situated between the Sablon district and the Marolles district. It's a nice example of the Brabançon-gothic style, which is characterised by its beautiful tower.
The first church dates back to 1134, but because of its huge success, it was transformed into a bigger church, in 1210. At that time the church was mainly visited by farmers and small merchants.
Since a couple of years the association 'Quartier Bruegel' tries to prosper the religious and cultural life of the church and its surroundings with, among other things, guided tours.