The King's House - La Maison du Roi - Het Broodhuis, Brussels
The name of this building is somewhat misleading. The Dutch name for it, is much closer to the truth. In Dutch this building is called The Bread House. In the Middle Ages this building was used for bakers to sell their bread. It wasn't until the Duke of Brabant used the buidling as an office until it became teh King's House. It was built in 1405 on the remains of a previous wooden structure.
Nowadays the building is the home of the City Museum of Brussels. For 2,5 Euro you can go inside and have a look at the paintinsg, statues and other objects from Brussels. It's opened on weekdays from 10 to 5, and in the weekend from 10 to 1. It's closed on mondays.
Opposite the town hall stands another Gothic building. Well, Gothic? Actually it's neo-Gothic. The name Broodhuis ('bread house') suggests medieval origins however. The building is in fact a rebuilt of a medieval one.
It's a museum about the history of the city and also has a permanent exhibition of the wardrobe of Manneken Pis.
At the Grand Place, opposite the Town Hall, you will see the beautiful neo-gothic building. It is Maison du Roi (kings house)in French or Broodhuis (bread house) in Dutch.
The Dutch name shows the origins of this building. In the beginning of the 13th century a wooden construction stood here, where bakers sold bread.
In 1405 a stone building replaced the original wooden bread hall. During the early 15th century the bakers went selling their products from house to house. The building began to be used for administrative purposes by the Duke of Brabant, here is where the French name comes from.
The King's House was rebuild in flamboyant Gothic style from 1515 until 1536.
After the French bombardment of 1695 the building was restored as far as necessary to keep it from collapsing.
In 1860 the city authorities bought the old King's House the entire building had to be build up from scratch. On June the 2nd 1887 the King's House became the City Museum of Brussels On exhibition are original statues of the town hall, paintings, wall tapestries and different artifacts which have a relation to the history of the city. It is also the museum where the costumes of Manneken Pis are housed.
Tuesday to Friday : from 10 am till 5 pm
Weekends and holidays : from 10am till 1pm
Closed on Mondays.
Opposite the Town Hall, stands another of the famous historical buildings of Brussels. It's called "Broodhuis" (Bread House) in Dutch or "Maison du Roi" (King's House) in French.
In the beginning of the 13th century bakers sold bread there. From the beginning of 15th century it was used for administrative purposes by the Duke of Brabant.
Formerly Gothic building is neo-gothic with many decorative statues now. It houses the City Museum (paintings, pictures, tapestry, sculptures etc.) with a permanent exhibition of the wardrobe of Manneken Pis.
From my friend Paul (Pavlik_NL) from Arnhem, the Netherlands:
The "Broodhuis" (Bread house) is also called the house of the Dukes of Brabant. It has nothing to do with a king!
Thank you Paul :-).
On the Grand Place, opposite the Town Hall, stands another remarkable historical building. The beautiful neo-gothic building with its many decorative statues is the King's House and houses the City Museum. In this museum, you can admire the various uniforms worn by Manneke Pis.
Opposite the Town Hall, stands another of the remarkable historical buildings of Brussels. The beautiful neo-gothic building with its many decorative statues is the "Maison du Roi" in French or "Broodhuis" in Dutch. The Dutch name "Broodhuis"
( bread house) clearly shows what the origins of this building were. In the beginning of the 13th century it was used by the bakers to sell their bread. When during the early 15th century the bakers turned to selling their products from house to house, the ancient bread hall began to be used more and more for administrative purposes by the Duke of Brabant. That is where the French name 'Maison du Roi' (King's House) comes from
It now harbours the historical City Museum.
One of the fascinating buildings around the "Grand Place". It has been built originally in the 13th century. Then It was damaged by a bombing in 1695 of french troups and re- built in the years 1873 to 1896. Opposite of it is placed the town hall that was constructed by Cornelius de Vriedt in the middle of the 16th century. Inside of the Kings house you find now the "Musée Communale de la Ville de Bruxelles", a museum about Brussels town history.
the museum is opened at:
Monday - Thursday 10.00-12.30, 13.30-17.00
between 1.10. and 31.03. only until 16.00h
This neo-gothic building, standing opposite from the Town Hall at the Grote Markt, with its many decorative statues is King´s House (Broodhuis in Dutch). It now harbours the historical City Museum.
Broodhuis (litterally: bread house) indicates the origins of this building. In the beginning of the 13th century a wooden construction was standing at this spot and was used by bakers to sell bread. In 1405 it was replaced by the stone building. The Broodhuis became unnecessary for the bakers when they started selling their products from house to house during the early 15th century. From that point on the building would be used for administrative purposes by the Duke of Brabant. Hence the name King´s House (Maison du Roi). It has had many other purposes since then (and was rebuilt as well, just as the other constructions around the Grand Place) and finally became the City Museum in 1887.
Maison du Roi (House of the King)
The Maison du Roi is located on the east-end of Grande' Place. This is the most breathtaking medieval building in the square. Housed inside the building is the City Museum of Brussels. It's really not worth the visit, except to see the collection of famous wardrobe worn by the Manneken-Pis.
Go straight on along "La maison des ducs de Brabant" from there you can see the House of the King... The King however never staid there, it has successivelly been a hall, a court and now a museum.
It was build in the 13'th century in gothic architecture. This building raised at the Grand Place opposite the Town Hall.
This is today's Museum of Brussels.
At the Market Place, opposite the Town Hall, stands the beautiful neo-gothic building with its many decorative statues. It now houses the historical City Museum.