The King's House - La Maison du Roi - Het Broodhuis, Brussels

27 Reviews

Been here? Rate It!

hide
  • La Maison du Roi
    La Maison du Roi
    by mikey_e
  • The King's House - La Maison du Roi - Het Broodhuis
    by tere1
  • Maison du Roi
    Maison du Roi
    by Martinewezel
  • scottishvisitor's Profile Photo

    The Changing names of the King's House

    by scottishvisitor Updated Jun 7, 2007

    4.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    3 more images

    The Maison du Roi or King's House was in the late 12th. century a wooden building called the Broodhuis it was from here the bakers sold their bread. The 15th. century saw a new building emerge this time called 't Hertogenhuis - the Duke's House although no Dukes ever lived here. This house was demolished when the clay foundations collapsed. On the occassion of the 3rd. re build it was re - christened The King's House by order of Philip ll King of Spain. Again demolished then rebuilt between 1873 - 1896 this time built much more lavishly with Belgian lime stone and blue stone it kept its Royal name - a fitting title for such a majestic building. The first time we saw the King's house was late afternoon with failing light - we just had to return to see it in sunshine.
    Opening times Tuesday - Friday 10.00 - 17.00 Weekends & Holidays 10.00 - 13.00 admission price 2.48 euro adult 1.98 euro group minimum 12 guided tours only.

    Related to:
    • Arts and Culture
    • Architecture

    Was this review helpful?

  • belgianchocolate's Profile Photo

    Het broodhuis.

    by belgianchocolate Updated May 26, 2004

    4.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    Already in the 13th century there was a building
    on the site where the 'Broodhuis' is located.

    The name in English is 'the king's house'.
    Translated from french 'maison du roi'
    The dutch 'broodhuis' is much more historical.
    The first building on this site was a wooden
    barrack where the bakers sold there bread.
    'Broodhuis' means bread-house.

    In 1515 'Emperor Karel' , at that time still
    'Duke Karel' instructed to rebuild the
    'broodhuis' in flamboyant gothic style.

    The 5th of june 1568 the earls 'Egmont and Hoorn'
    spend their last night in this building before their
    execution on the 'grote markt'-'grand place'.
    They now got their statue on the 'kleine Zavel'
    -'petit Sablon'.

    The building got sold and bought and sold...
    In the year 1860 the city bought it and it was
    in very poor state at the time.
    The decided to rebuild it... Break it down stone
    by stone and restore it completely.

    Only the long history of the building , apart
    from its beauty makes it amazing.
    All the statues in the facade tell the story
    about Brussels , Belgium.

    In 1887 it became the cities museum.
    You can see old paintings , engravings ,
    Also 'manneke pis' outfits are exhibited
    here....

    Have a look at the website
    Most defenitely worth a visit.

    Related to:
    • Historical Travel
    • Architecture
    • Museum Visits

    Was this review helpful?

  • Maison du Roi

    by CoAir13 Written May 18, 2004

    4.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    Maison du Roi

    Interesting history. From a wooden structure where bread was sold to becoming the stone house of the Duke of Brabant to being destroyed and finally being rebuilt from scratch beginning in 1861.
    Worth a walk through....doesn't take long.

    Tues. - Fri. 10-5
    Weekends and Holidays 10-1
    Closed mondays
    2,50 EUR

    Related to:
    • Family Travel
    • Historical Travel
    • Architecture

    Was this review helpful?

  • tere1's Profile Photo

    Maison du Roi

    by tere1 Written Apr 10, 2008

    4.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    At the Market Place, opposite the Town Hall, stands another of the remarkable historical Buildings of Brussels. The beautiful neo-gothic building with its many decorative statues is the "Maison du Roi" in French or "Broodhuis" in Dutch. It now harbours the historical City Museum.

    The Dutch name "Broodhuis" (i.e. bread house) clearly shows what the origins of this building were. In the beginning of the 13th century a wooden construction stood here. It was used by the bakers to sell their bread.

    On June the 2nd 1887 the King's House became the City Museum of Brussels On exhibition are original statues of the town hall, paintings, wall tapestries and different artifacts which have a relation to the history of the city.

    Opening hours
    Tuesday to Friday : from 10 am till 5 pm
    Weekends and holidays : from 10am till 1pm
    Closed on Mondays.
    Admission
    2,48 € (Euro) per person, 1,98 € (Euro) per person for groups of min. 12 persons

    Related to:
    • Arts and Culture
    • Museum Visits
    • Architecture

    Was this review helpful?

  • Helga67's Profile Photo

    The King's House

    by Helga67 Updated Dec 7, 2003

    4 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    King's House

    On the Grand Place, opposite the Town Hall, stands another remarkable historical building. The beautiful neo-gothic building with its many decorative statues is the King's House and houses the City Museum. In this museum, you can admire the various uniforms worn by Manneke Pis.

    Related to:
    • Architecture
    • Museum Visits

    Was this review helpful?

  • Imbi's Profile Photo

    The King’s House

    by Imbi Written May 12, 2004

    4 out of 5 starsHelpfulness



    It is also known as Broodhuys ( Bread House). It is not very old building but it’s history goes long time ago. When baker of Brussels stopped selling bread from stall they started selling it from here. Later it was occupied by collector and than Duke. Although king never lived here but it is still called Kings House.


    Was this review helpful?

  • tompt's Profile Photo

    Maison du Roi

    by tompt Written Jan 8, 2004

    3.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    maison du roi

    At the Grand Place, opposite the Town Hall, you will see the beautiful neo-gothic building. It is Maison du Roi (kings house)in French or Broodhuis (bread house) in Dutch.
    The Dutch name shows the origins of this building. In the beginning of the 13th century a wooden construction stood here, where bakers sold bread.
    In 1405 a stone building replaced the original wooden bread hall. During the early 15th century the bakers went selling their products from house to house. The building began to be used for administrative purposes by the Duke of Brabant, here is where the French name comes from.
    The King's House was rebuild in flamboyant Gothic style from 1515 until 1536.
    After the French bombardment of 1695 the building was restored as far as necessary to keep it from collapsing.

    In 1860 the city authorities bought the old King's House the entire building had to be build up from scratch. On June the 2nd 1887 the King's House became the City Museum of Brussels On exhibition are original statues of the town hall, paintings, wall tapestries and different artifacts which have a relation to the history of the city. It is also the museum where the costumes of Manneken Pis are housed.

    Open:
    Tuesday to Friday : from 10 am till 5 pm
    Weekends and holidays : from 10am till 1pm
    Closed on Mondays.

    Was this review helpful?

  • Martinewezel's Profile Photo

    Broodhuis (Maison du Roi) In English:Breadhouse

    by Martinewezel Written Feb 7, 2008

    3.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    Maison du Roi

    This building was originaly built in 1405 for the bakers selling their bread. Later it became the place of the law court. Contrary to the meaning of the French name, it has never been the King's house. Not talking about the Belgian King, but about the Spanish King.
    Belgium got it's independence in 1830 and is only 178 years old.

    Nowadays it's a museum about the history of Brussels. Rather static, but the paintings, tapestries and scultptures are fine examples of old art.

    One of the floors houses Manneken Pis' extensive wardrobe. He must have about 780 different suits, mostly a donation from societies, clubs. A remarkable collection of traditional and other costumes. Worth a look, but nothing extraordinary.

    Related to:
    • Architecture
    • Arts and Culture
    • Museum Visits

    Was this review helpful?

  • Imaniac's Profile Photo

    The King's House

    by Imaniac Written Feb 15, 2004

    3.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    King's House in Brussels

    The name of this building is somewhat misleading. The Dutch name for it, is much closer to the truth. In Dutch this building is called The Bread House. In the Middle Ages this building was used for bakers to sell their bread. It wasn't until the Duke of Brabant used the buidling as an office until it became teh King's House. It was built in 1405 on the remains of a previous wooden structure.

    Nowadays the building is the home of the City Museum of Brussels. For 2,5 Euro you can go inside and have a look at the paintinsg, statues and other objects from Brussels. It's opened on weekdays from 10 to 5, and in the weekend from 10 to 1. It's closed on mondays.

    Related to:
    • Architecture
    • Museum Visits

    Was this review helpful?

  • Mahieu's Profile Photo

    The King's House

    by Mahieu Written Jun 30, 2003

    3.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    King's House

    Opposite the Town Hall, stands another of the remarkable historical buildings of Brussels. The beautiful neo-gothic building with its many decorative statues is the "Maison du Roi" in French or "Broodhuis" in Dutch. The Dutch name "Broodhuis"
    ( bread house) clearly shows what the origins of this building were. In the beginning of the 13th century it was used by the bakers to sell their bread. When during the early 15th century the bakers turned to selling their products from house to house, the ancient bread hall began to be used more and more for administrative purposes by the Duke of Brabant. That is where the French name 'Maison du Roi' (King's House) comes from
    It now harbours the historical City Museum.

    Related to:
    • Historical Travel
    • Museum Visits
    • Architecture

    Was this review helpful?

  • Martin_S.'s Profile Photo

    King's Housek on Market Square

    by Martin_S. Written Nov 28, 2006

    3.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    King's Housek on Market Square, Brussels
    1 more image

    The King's House is a very impressive structure, almost "fit for a King" you might say, facing into Market Square which also includes the Grand Palace and many Guild Houses. You can read more about how this "house" had its very humble beginnings at the website.

    Related to:
    • Architecture
    • Historical Travel
    • Castles and Palaces

    Was this review helpful?

  • OlafS's Profile Photo

    Broodhuis

    by OlafS Updated Jan 23, 2004

    3.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    Brussel: Broodhuis

    Opposite the town hall stands another Gothic building. Well, Gothic? Actually it's neo-Gothic. The name Broodhuis ('bread house') suggests medieval origins however. The building is in fact a rebuilt of a medieval one.
    It's a museum about the history of the city and also has a permanent exhibition of the wardrobe of Manneken Pis.

    Related to:
    • Museum Visits
    • Architecture
    • Historical Travel

    Was this review helpful?

  • chancay's Profile Photo

    la "Maison du Roi" (King´s house)

    by chancay Updated Mar 4, 2003

    3.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    King��s house

    One of the fascinating buildings around the "Grand Place". It has been built originally in the 13th century. Then It was damaged by a bombing in 1695 of french troups and re- built in the years 1873 to 1896. Opposite of it is placed the town hall that was constructed by Cornelius de Vriedt in the middle of the 16th century. Inside of the Kings house you find now the "Musée Communale de la Ville de Bruxelles", a museum about Brussels town history.

    the museum is opened at:
    Monday - Thursday 10.00-12.30, 13.30-17.00
    between 1.10. and 31.03. only until 16.00h
    Saturday/Sunday 10.00-13.00

    Related to:
    • Architecture
    • Historical Travel
    • Castles and Palaces

    Was this review helpful?

  • matcrazy1's Profile Photo

    Bread House or King's House?

    by matcrazy1 Updated Dec 29, 2003

    3.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    BREAD  OR  KING'S  HOUSE

    Opposite the Town Hall, stands another of the famous historical buildings of Brussels. It's called "Broodhuis" (Bread House) in Dutch or "Maison du Roi" (King's House) in French.
    In the beginning of the 13th century bakers sold bread there. From the beginning of 15th century it was used for administrative purposes by the Duke of Brabant.

    Formerly Gothic building is neo-gothic with many decorative statues now. It houses the City Museum (paintings, pictures, tapestry, sculptures etc.) with a permanent exhibition of the wardrobe of Manneken Pis.


    From my friend Paul (Pavlik_NL) from Arnhem, the Netherlands:
    The "Broodhuis" (Bread house) is also called the house of the Dukes of Brabant. It has nothing to do with a king!
    Thank you Paul :-).

    Related to:
    • Architecture
    • Budget Travel
    • Museum Visits

    Was this review helpful?

  • Willettsworld's Profile Photo

    Maison du Roi (King’s House)

    by Willettsworld Written Jun 11, 2006

    3.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    2 more images

    This fine building lies directly opposite the Hotel de Ville on the eastern side of the Grand Place. It was built between 1515-1536 on the orders of Charles V, which is how it derived its name, but redesigned in 1873. It was once the residence of ruling Spanish monarchs but now is home to the Musee de la Ville, which includes 16th century paintings, tapestries and the 400 tiny outfits for Manneken Pis.

    Related to:
    • Historical Travel
    • Architecture

    Was this review helpful?

Instant Answers: Brussels

Get an instant answer from local experts and frequent travelers

72 travelers online now

Comments

View all Brussels hotels