Local taxis, Brussels

Know about this? Rate It!

• Local taxis
    by johngayton
  • scottishvisitor's Profile Photo

Take a Taxi to & from the airport

by scottishvisitor Updated Jun 4, 2007

We took a taxi to and from the airport because it was relatively quick and convenient. Like most capital cities it was not cheap the fare was 46 euros I remember the price because when the first taxi driver dropped us of at the hotel we gave him 50 euros saying to him to keep the change - his reply was a firm NON. We put his rudness down to bad luck on our part kept the change and forgot about it.. To my absolute horror the return journey, with a different taxi driver, we encountered even worse manners. All was fine on the way to the airport, he even offered us a chocolate which I accepted with thanks, maybe my husband's polite refusal got his dander up. When we had paid him again with thanks (in French) his relply was "Au Revoir and Good Ridance" I kept my temper under control as he got out to get the cases he then said sheepishly that he was sorry. I told him he would be when his company found out. I don't mean to say this is typical but I do think some people should not work for a service company.

• Architecture

• breughel's Profile Photo

From Brussels Central station to hotel.

by breughel Updated Oct 26, 2011

FORUM REPLY.

It's about 900 m and the streets and trottoirs (foot path) are not flat for small wheels of luggage like already said by others.
    I would take a taxi. (If you would arrive at Bruxelles Midi-South by Thalys or Eurostar than a taxi is a must because the area is not safe - see warnings and dangers).

Bruxelles-Nord, Bruxelles-Central and Bruxelles-Midi are main stations because they are linked by the "Jonction". Nearly all trains from North to South, East to West of Belgium stop at these 3 stations (except Thalys and Eurostar only Bruxelles-Midi)

Here the prices for a taxi from the official Brussels Regio website (only in French and Dutch): www.bruxellesmobilite.irisnet.be

Détail du tarif (Service, T.V.A. et pourboire sont compris dans le prix indiqué au taximètre) :
    Prise en charge : 2,40€
    Tarif I (dans les 19 communes de la Région de Bruxelles-Capitale) : 1,60€/km
    Tarif II (en dehors des 19 communes) : 2,70€/km
    Heure d'attente : 30,00€ de l'heure (le taximètre s'enclenche automatiquement sur l'heure d'attente lorsque le taxi roule à une vitesse inférieure à 19km/h, par exemple dans les embouteillages, au feu rouge, etc)
    Entre 22 heures et 6 heures, un supplément forfaitaire de 2,00€ est demandé au client (le taximètre est pourvu d'une horloge-calendrier qui permet l'enregistrement automatique de ce supplément forfaitaire).

Obligation de vous donner le ticket !
    Le chauffeur est tenu de vous donner le ticket de l'imprimante (et non un ticket manuscrit) correspondant à votre course une fois celle-ci terminée. Ce ticket reprend le numéro du taxi, le prix de la course et toute une série de renseignements utiles en cas de plainte ou d'objet perdu.

Translation by Google.

Retail tariff (Service, VAT and gratuities are included in the price indicated on the meter):
    Support ( = minimum charge) € 2.40
    I rate (in the 19 municipalities of the Brussels-Capital): € 1.60 / km
    Rate II (outside the 19 municipalities): 2.70 € / km
    Waiting time: € 30.00 per hour (the meter automatically starts on the hour wait when the taxi is traveling at a speed below 19km / h, for example in traffic jams, red lights, etc.)
    Between 22 pm and 6 am, a supplement of € 2.00 is applied to the client (the meter is equipped with a clock-calendar that allows the automatic recording of the additional sum.
    You have to count with slow traffic and files so that you will pay more than the minimum charge + Km charge.

Obligation to give you the ticket!
    The driver must give you the ticket printer (not a manuscript ticket) for your race once it is completed. This ticket contains the number of the taxi, the fare and a range of useful information in case of complaint or lost object.

Between you and me Belgians don't trust taxi drivers. The drivers know and are less tempted to cheat us like they do with tourists.

One thing is important, the taxis waiting at the airport are not from Brussels but from Zaventem.
    Brussels' taxis are not allowed to embark passengers there.
    There are often traffic jams on the road to the centre so that you pay not per Km but per minute of waiting time or slow moving.
    From the airport to the centre I always take the train to Bruxelles-Nord, Central or Midi. Every 20 minutes. Once in the centre you can take a taxi.
    Only problem the lines at the airport station to get a ticket. You can buy and print your ticket by internet www.b-rail.be

• Business Travel
    • Trains

• Sjalen's Profile Photo

Taxi advice

by Sjalen Written Mar 28, 2006

BEWARE of the fact that many Brussels' taxi drivers are immigrants with African or Middle Eastern French and little English who often know nothing of the city either. If you are going beyond 'downtown' they have to sit and look at the map for several minutes and still ask you for the nearest metro station.

If you want a taxi both to and from the airport, try Autolux. They give you a special 'return deal'.

• Business Travel

• LysDor's Profile Photo

AutoLux (taxi orange)...

by LysDor Updated Apr 4, 2011

This is an excellent taxi company running from the airport to city center where you can buy a return ticket and get 20% discount!

I'll find it very convenient and good bargain if you don't want to carry heavy suitcases in the *little train* (which is very good too, cheaper 2,40 Euros one-way and the ride takes only 20min.).

NOTICE:If you take the autolux taxí make sure to:
    1. ask the driver its an autolux cab
    2. ask for the return coupon in addition to the receipt (the phone nbr to call the return taxi is on that coupon!)
    ------
    Very handy indeed as the return telephone call need to be done only a couple hours before.

• johngayton's Profile Photo

Taxis From Brussels Midi

by johngayton Updated Jan 3, 2011

This is one that I've noticed a couple of times but not really given it any thought until this visit.

Personally I just use the Metro but if you need a taxi and are arriving by Eurostar the main exit takes you to the taxi rank pictured where there is always a permanent queue.

However if you go through the station concourse to the other end (Rue Angleterre??), where the railway underpass is, you'll find a rank with plenty of taxis waiting for customers. It's only a couple of minutes walk.

People Queueing Taxis Queueing!

• alex0312's Profile Photo

Very expensive ride

by alex0312 Written Aug 8, 2007

If you are arriving at the North train station in Brussels and you exit the station from the main entrance, you will see black taxis parked across the street. If you are going to take one, make sure you ask how much the fare is going to be, BUT on top of that, MAKE SURE you ask for a receipt. When we took a taxi there we asked how much the fare was going to be and they driver did not even turn on the meter. As it turns out, we got ripped off. We paid 15 euro for a 5 minute ride. It is a very good idea to ask for a receipt so that the drivers would have to turn on their meters.

• grandmaR's Profile Photo

Past Times in Brussels

by grandmaR Updated Mar 15, 2014

In the view from inside the taxi, I can see that there were also streetcars in those days and apparently similar cars are still operating. Arrival times, departure times and stops are shown at each tram stop. There are also convenient street maps at each stop.

In 1950, we arrived by train (flying was not as common in those days) so we had no need of a taxi from the airport. As we can see from this photo, we did take taxis in Brussels, but it wasn't remarkable enough for me to remember it.

Currently to take a city taxi, you can just go to any of the taxi stands on the side of the main streets. If you can't see a taxi stand, the taxi stand information is on the Brussels Maps. You can wave down a taxi if you see one and there is no nearby taxi stand.. Taxis come in all shapes and sizes without any markings on the car doors, but they have a white, yellow and blue triangle on the roof to identify them.

All taxis are metered and you do not need to tip except to round to the next higher Euro. The standard fares will change over time; At present it is €2.40 at the start and €1.35 per km in the city. A €2 surcharge applies between 10pm and 6am.

Photo from a taxi in 1950
    • Architecture

• DanielF's Profile Photo

Avoid Taxis

by DanielF Updated Mar 26, 2007

Avoid taking taxis, as they are extremely overpriced and, in my experience, drivers are often rude. If there is no alternative, make sure you wear with you the number of a couple of taxi companies. Trying to hail a cab on the street will be useless, particularly on busy times. The only way to catch a taxi is by going to a taxi stop or by calling a taxi company and ordering one (your hotel concierge will be pleased to do that for you). Remeber that the tip is included in the fare showed on the taximetre, so there is absolutely no reason to round it up or leave some extra money for a service which is often not extraordinary.

• mickebear's Profile Photo

Taxis in Brussels

by mickebear Written Feb 15, 2005

Using a taxi is a pretty affordable affair. Only thing that you should be aware of is that when you must take a taxi from the airport to the city, be careful of the cheating taxi drivers. They easily take you around Brussels, and before you know it, you paid 50 EUR, instead of 25 EUR for your ride...

• eden_teuling's Profile Photo

TAXIS-----

by eden_teuling Updated Mar 26, 2004

WHEN IN brussels YOU CAN ORDER TAXIS FROM THE CENTRAL DISPATCH OF THE FOLLOWING COMPANIES:

ATR: TEL. 242 22 22

AUTOLUX : TEL. 512 31 23

TAXIS ORANGE : TEL. 513 62 00

TAXIS VERTS : TEL. 511 22 44

TAXI

• Brussels taxis

by imtl Written Jun 15, 2010

AVOID TAXIS IN BRUSSELS: you read it from others, and you better believe. Drivers often do not know how to get from the simplest a to b, cannot follow the map to the address you have given them, will drive the "scenic" route given half the chance, will drop you at the wrong street or restaurant, and will try to claim they have no change for the note you pay with. They are a total disgrace to the city.

• From Rogier to Airport

by mervedeveciler Written Mar 8, 2012

Hi, I've had a very bad incident with a taxi in Brussels. I had a flight at 8 am and hotel called me a taxi. I have had a bit rush to the airport to catch my flight. The cost was 50 euros and I gave the driver 100 euros and wanted a receipt. He gave money with the receipt and I went away and then when I arrived I had arranged the things inside my bag and I saw that he gave me 5 euros back instead of 50! I immediately called the hotel and reported this but nobody helped me. I have the receipt and I often go to Brussels and the next time I go, I will go to the taxi station and inform them about it. I could not find their telephone number online. The hotel was Crowne Plaza, taxi station was Transport taxi. The driver was a black man in mid 40s. I don't know he did this on purpose or not but I'll not give up this incident! So be careful when you get on a taxi in Brussels!!!

• Good Car services in Brussels

by eleni.spb Written Oct 6, 2009

Taxi's in Brussels are very expensive and not everybody is correct. For short distances is ok but if you need to go a bit far you have to be very careful of your choice.
    Let me tell you what happened with us. We came from Spain and had to go to the Belgium cost, and because I know about how expensive Taxis in the airport are, we made a reservation with Limo Taxi. The price was 187 euros.
    Somehow our travel agent did not inform the company that we were 5...
    When that awesome BMW 7 came, we had a problem, we were 1 too much.
    We were obliged to get an extra Taxi from the airport that drove on the meter.
    When we arrived in the cost we had to pay 275 euros !!!
    I asked the driver of Limo Taxi how could this be? Well this was the normal Taxi price on 2.2 euros per km outside the city. Our tour operator booked us for almost 100 euro less. Here is the link of these people http://limotaxi.net
    So the tip is: Make a booking in advance because the Taxis from the airport are 0.60 euros per km more expensive than these guys.

• Be wary of cabs

by amarrin Written Nov 16, 2009

I took a cab from the Sheraton near Gare Du Nord and to Grand Place in the worst afternoon traffic and it only cost around 5 euros. It's a quick trip/15 minute walk, 5 minute drive. Trip back with cheating driver was 14 euros. Same distance, 3 times as much. Ugly, mean driver too! Be wary (or better yet, walk!)

• Airport transfers in Belgium

by Evgeny_D Written Oct 20, 2012

I travel a lot to Belgium and till the last few weeks it was a complete nightmare if I had to take a taxi on the street or even if I had to book online. Overcharge, delays, few times drivers just DID NOT COME.

A friend of mine told me to book at EconomTaxi. These guys are awesome. They offer nice prices, brand new and clean cars ( I've travelled with new Mercedes E Class). Drivers speak pretty good English and dressed very properly. To give an example of a price : Brussels - Zaventem Internation Airport costed me only 35 euro.

When I travel with my boss I also order VIP. The price is CHEAPER than a simple taxi in Brussels, but they offer you Mercedes R-Class, very luxurious. My boss was just happy :)

I hope I could help anybody with that :)

There are their website and number : http://economtaxi.be/ or http://www.viptransfers.be. +32485804382. Enjoy!

• Luxury Travel

Instant Answers: Brussels

Comments

Other Transportation in Brussels